StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I obviously screwed up this week and aggravated my right wrist (I do this about once a decade) at the computer. Now I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with carpal tunnel and riding. Does the vibration aggravate the condition?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Well I obviously screwed up this week and aggravated my right wrist (I do this about once a decade) at the computer. Now I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with carpal tunnel and riding. Does the vibration aggravate the condition?
I have the syndrome (work at a computer all day) but I still ride. I'm not sure about the vibrations, but I did take some precautions to alleviate the pressure on my wrists.
- Higher bars with less bend.
- Crampbuster and go-cruiser to avoid death-gripping when I'm on straight and boring roads.
- Consciously keeping my grip and arms relaxed at all times.

Those things have really helped me controlling -or at least stop aggravating- my pain when I ride.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Anything that vibrates in the hands will have some impact on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Such as Power Tools, Motorcycles and others.

Chase Ergonomics have a line of gloves that started out for professional / occupational protection for folks who handle power tools such as jack hammers and saws. They have a motorcycle variant which I have tried, the result was very good at reducing vibration and irritation, but I found the gloves to be a little small for my hands. Walmart used to carry these so you may be able to find them for trying out size. If you order from an online source, I found the sizing runs small, so order a size up from what you normally wear.

http://www.chaseergo.com/LEVEL 5 FACT SHEETS/L5-DECADE SPORT/L5-ds-65484-street.pdf

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Keeping a loose grip is generally a good thing. I'm no Carpal Tunnel expert but I'm pretty sure it's a repetitive stress injury. I don't see motorcycle vibration adding to that as there is little pressure but I can see a tight grip or body weight on the bars possibly being a problem. I'm happy I have cruise control and soft, large diameter grips.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Coach Stroud, a professional rider/instructor, explained to a class I attended to keep your wrists straight or bent with hands down never up as this leads to numbness and pain and at the time I was having another bout with wrist pain and applied it on my ride home 1600 mi. and no more wrist pain since.

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, looks like I'm in the cage for commuting next week then. Rather than use one of those Velcro wrist braces, I typically tape my wrist rigid - this seems to make it heal faster but twisting a throttle with a fixed wrist might be problematic.

Riding with a friend Sunday, we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Many riders report numbness, or finger tingle.. this is because the median nerve has pressure applied to it.. Irritation can occur and inflammation which can lead to Carpal Tunnel symptoms.

This may help explain it..

What is carpal tunnel syndrome?

Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the median nerve, which runs from the forearm into the palm of the hand, becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist. The median nerve controls sensations to the palm side of the thumb and fingers (although not the little finger), as well as impulses to some small muscles in the hand that allow the fingers and thumb to move. The carpal tunnel - a narrow, rigid passageway of ligament and bones at the base of the hand - houses the median nerve and tendons. Sometimes, thickening from irritated tendons or other swelling narrows the tunnel and causes the median nerve to be compressed. The result may be pain, weakness, or numbness in the hand and wrist, radiating up the arm. Although painful sensations may indicate other conditions, carpal tunnel syndrome is the most common and widely known of the entrapment neuropathies in which the body's peripheral nerves are compressed or traumatized.

What are the causes of carpal tunnel syndrome?

Carpal tunnel syndrome is often the result of a combination of factors that increase pressure on the median nerve and tendons in the carpal tunnel, rather than a problem with the nerve itself. Most likely the disorder is due to a congenital predisposition - the carpal tunnel is simply smaller in some people than in others. Other contributing factors include trauma or injury to the wrist that cause swelling, such as sprain or fracture; overactivity of the pituitary gland; hypothyroidism; rheumatoid arthritis; mechanical problems in the wrist joint; work stress; repeated use of vibrating hand tools; fluid retention during pregnancy or menopause; or the development of a cyst or tumor in the canal. In some cases no cause can be identified.

There is little clinical data to prove whether repetitive and forceful movements of the hand and wrist during work or leisure activities can cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Other disorders such as bursitis and tendonitis have been associated with repeated motions performed in the course of normal work or other activities.. Writer's cramp may also be brought on by repetitive activity.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
12 years ago, I couldn't get near a motorcycle for over a year without screaming in pain and kept telling everyone that I thought I had CTS (I'm no doctor) but when I finally went to one, it turned out to be de quervain's tenosynovitis. Completely different.

A simple outpatient surgery and the pain was gone never to return.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have trigger finger. Mixed with some RSI pain.
There is a very narrow range of bar and lever postion where I am comfortable.
And it's trial and error o get the right postion. My pain is not on the inside of my wrists but the outside.

I have found that a higher flat dirtbike style bar. With a Medium thickness grip, pro grip ralley is my grip of choice.
My levers are adjusted so a line from my elbow to finger tips can be drawn when I am covering the levers.

When the pain flares up. I stop ridding and wear braces as much as I can stand during the day and sleep with them on.

But get yourself checked out. It could be something thats an easy fix.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I looked after all the occupational health claims at work and anyone with carpel tunnel or suspected was forbidden to use anything that vibrated. Apparently repeated vibration was a major contribution to or aggravation of CP.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just had CT surgery a month ago ! A simple operation,but takes about a month for full recovery.
I worked as a maintenance mechanic all my life and now after being retired for 20 years, this came up. Symptons were as described in the above post.
Not so much during the daytime, but interrupted my sleep several times during the night, but now all is well :hurray:

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I had CT surgery done on both wrists 38 years ago when I was 21. I dont remember vibrations being much of a problem, more so just keeping my wrists in the same position without braces on for periods of time. The surgery is said to be less invasive now, my incisions are over 3" long.
Now I too battle with trigger finger. One surgery down, another scheduled.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Most of the posts here are correct. While medicine is not as exact as would be hoped for, there are threads of science and truth that become standard of care.
Vibration is for sure an irritant to someone who has scar tissue in the carpal tunnel. Any way to moderate vibration is important. Also, hyperflexing or hyperextending the wrist is a no no. Keeping your wrist in a neutral position is best. As far as motorcycling, any way to moderate the vibration with bar end weights, different handlebars, vibration dampening gloves is appropriate. It is difficult to twist the throttle with a neutral wrist, so be careful.

The gold standard for objectifying carpal tunnel syndrome is via electrodiagnostic studies, e.m.g.'s. At times a not very comfortable test, but is does show nerve conductivity, and can be useful in quantifying the extent of carpal tunnel disease. Also, do not forget body ergonomics including handlebar setbacks and the seat.

When I pushed my '11 Wee to above 80 mph, it caused vibration in the handlebars that bothered my wrists, and I do not have a documented case of CTS. Thankfully, I can push my Vee2 well above 100 mph with no vibration.
Good luck

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Just adding my 2 cents. I've had a few chances now to take out my 2013 Wee and I've definitely noticed more numbness/tingling than I was used to on my old Intruder. I was diagnosed with CTS back in February or March but never bothered to follow up as it was mostly hit or miss. I am inclined to get it taken care of now.

My own theory on why the Wee is giving me a bit more of a problem is that my riding position has changed to not only place me upright, but even a little forward leaning, placing more pressure on the hands/wrists and bars. Vibration can totally set it off for you. What happens is that the tissue gets inflamed from the vibration and affects the nerve.

·
Administrator
6,383 Posts
My experience is slightly different to others. After a very long dirtbike race in tight conditions I found that my throttle wrist was painful and that trying to flex it up and down made it worse. My doctor said that I had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, a type of RSI and treated me with anti inflammatory drugs and rest. He explained that the tendon at the inside of my wrist had become inflamed and was becoming jammed inside its sheath, the Carpal Tunnel.

That day I was particularly nervous and thereafter I changed my riding style, not holding the bars so tightly, and it never happened again.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have had both wrist operated on for CTS and before surgery some days my hands would be numb as he'll form the bike vibrations. I am an electrician for almost 18 years and am hard on my hands when working. At night my hands used to go dead asleep and making me wake up in the middle of the night. ,braces on my wrist help I not letting them get bent during the night. The surgery was not the easiest for pain. But I was off work for a few days and back to work being a site foreman( glorified babysitter). Here is a photo of left hand after bandage off and also almost a year later photo

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
And a year later photo, I have changed my ways at work and teach young apprentices the same. This surgery kept me off the bike for about 4 weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
" keep your wrists straight".....relaxing the arms and allowing the elbows to drop down, along with relaxed wrists and hands lets the wrists be straight even with stock bars.

Aluminum bars transmit more vibration than steel bars. Grip Puppies may absorb some vibration, and the larger diameter just feels good to many of us.

Vibranators work. Not 100%, but they are a big help.
V Max 1985-2000; All Buell except 1125; Honda XR650L; All Raptors; KLR650 1987-2007; All Suzuki SFV, SV650; Enfields; All DRs; All XRs; All XLs
The ADVRIDER discount code is good for 20% off.

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
I had my left wrist done 4 months ago, my right wrist is getting done in Nov....both for Carpal Tunnel. After the left (the worst one) was healed I noticed how bad my right was. When riding, I have to shake it out every 5 min, the left now only every hour or so. I have my bars back and low keeping the wrists as straight as I can. At 56, I thought it was time to get this taken care of and quit dealing with it. Like SuperNew said, it was keeping me up at night and the pain in my elbow was cutting into my super hero strength ;)

I have no doubt that doing fences and decks as a second job aggravated my tendons and nerves in both elbows and wrists. I remember the next day after a weekend of nail gunning up a few thousand wood pickets not being able to pick up a glass of water off the kitchen counter. During the same time my job had me in the saddle 10+ hours a day for 11 years...so yes I think riding position and vibrations do aggravate Carpal Tunnel.

·
Registered
824 Posts
ptrider makes a very good point about thicker grips
I've had right wrist issues for many years.
Found that increasing the diameter of the grip does the most to eliminate pain.
For many years and on several bikes, I wrap the grips with tennis racquet wrap, the cushioned rather than the thin. Pretty cheap and it works.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts