StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been using Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle specific oil? I'm told that it doesn't contain friction modifiers and is specifically designed for wet clutch use. I'd like some opinions before I make the switch.

Thanks for your help.

SS

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I use it. Buy it by the case and it is cheaper. My motor hasn't seized yet so I guess it works.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I use it in my V-Strom, Shadow and Goldwing. It is very popular ( at least according to Goldwing forums ) with many people. I have had no clutch issues and actually felt improvement with smoother shifts on my Shadow and Goldwing. It does cost a lot, find a dealer nearby and buy a case of gallons.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've been using Amsoil products for the last five years or so in my cars and always had good results. When I saw that my local KTM dealership had it in stock, I told them to use it for my Wee when I took it in for service. I've had no problems so far, so I'll probably stick with it for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Has anyone been using Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle specific oil? I'm told that it doesn't contain friction modifiers and is specifically designed for wet clutch use. I'd like some opinions before I make the switch.

Thanks for your help.

SS
Been using it for 2 years. Change it at around every 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Been using it for 2 years. Change it at around every 4,000 miles.
I won't use anything else in my bikes.

Please send me your used oil. I'll put it back in the bike and run it another 6K.

Changing out Amsoil every 4000 miles is throwing lots of good money away. The stuff will easily last 8-10 thousand miles. I change it once a year or every 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. I've had the old stuff tested coming out after 10K and it's as good as when it went in.

YMMV if you're riding a lot of dust and dirt roads...

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
I won't use anything else in my bikes.

Please send me your used oil. I'll put it back in the bike and run it another 6K.

Changing out Amsoil every 4000 miles is throwing lots of good money away. The stuff will easily last 8-10 thousand miles. I change it once a year or every 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. I've had the old stuff tested coming out after 10K and it's as good as when it went in.

YMMV if you're riding a lot of dust and dirt roads...
I have thought about extending the mileage between changes but I get conflicting information. The dealership where I purchased the bike carries Amsoil and the salesman said it was good for at least 8K. The parts and service guys said 4K. I have talked to Amsoil reps at trade shows and they say 6K but only with the Amsoil filter. Recently I was talking to a BMW salesman and he was running Amsoil for 8-10K like you.

I get the oil for $8.00/qt locally and this is only my second crankcase full so I'm only out $24.00 so far. Maybe I'll just change the filter in another thousand miles and top it off.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
After my 650 hit 4,000 miles I went to amsoil syn. 10-40 w/ 10 percent of it being lucas oil stabilizer. It's better than the oil the guy in "over the top" drank before the armwrestling match.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just switched to it @ 4000 miles. You can sign up to be a distributer and buy it wholesale on the web site if you want to save a little. I buy it with a couple of my friends so the discount is worth the membership.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
I just switched to it @ 4000 miles. You can sign up to be a distributer and buy it wholesale on the web site if you want to save a little. I buy it with a couple of my friends so the discount is worth the membership.
So what is the wholesale cost?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have used the AMSOIL in my BMW K1200RS for the past six years. Works great. I rode to Alaska, all over the northwest US, and back to Virginia on the oil without changing. Yes I rode 13,000 miles and sent a sample to the Lab for a test. Test came back with only slightly elevated contaminates, viscosity was good, oil good for further use. That said I change my oil every 10,000 miles. I have 127,500 miles on the bike, runs like a champ.

I just switched my VStrom over to AMSOIL about 1,500 miles ago. You can't beat this stuff. I have run it AMSOIL in my pickup trucks since 1990 and change oil and filter every 20,000 miles.

The AMSOIL motorcyle oil is the best out there. I have survived overheating twice on the BMW, didn't bother the oil a bit.

I became a dealer to get a better price, saves $1.50 to $2.00 a quart over retail.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info. It really helps and I appreciate it.

Are you guys running the stock oil filter or the EAOM-109 oil filter from Amsoil?

SS

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:) I've been an amsoil fan for a number of years and I also use it in all my race bikes,

10- 40 with the amsoil filter is my personal choice. :cool:

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair
Thanks for the info. It looks like I'll be making the switch.

SS

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oil

I've used Amsoil in my Harley's, my M109R and my V-Strom, all with good results. I used their 20-50 in the Harley's engine, transfer case, and transmission and I have used the 10-40 in my Suzukis. I purchase mine through the Oil Doc and get it for the prefered customer price which saves some cash. A change for me, with an EAOM-109 filter and frieght is about $41.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi All,

I am an amsoil dealer in VA but this info would apply no matter where you live. You do NOT need to become a dealer to get decent discounts off the price of the amsoil you buy. If you use it in several vehicles, becoming what is called a 'preferred customer' will get you the wholesale price. I don't recall what expense that is off the top of my head, but all of that info is at the amsoil website. If you use it in your car(s) and bike(s) too, then you could potentially save mucho dinero buy paying the relatively small fee to become a preferred customer. I have used amsoil for the last 5 years or so in everything I have owned and have not had any kind of an oil related failure. The trophy vehicle is the old subaru wagon with 150,000 miles on that still uses NO oil and has had no internal work done except timing belts. The rest of the car will fall apart before the engine wears out. I can hardly wait to see how long the wee engine lasts before it needs internal work. My guess is that 130k will be no problem. Maybe even more than the old subaru....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts