StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a lot of info here about different aftermarket/custom seats. I was thinking of ordering the Russell Day-Long saddle and was wondering if anyone here that has one has any negative comments? Are they ALWAYS comfortable or is this a crap shoot. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I think it depends. I started on the 1970's very upright ( much like the 'Strom) position to the Sport bike laying on the tank using the thighs like pistons much more. On Sport Bikes I liked a Corbin firm type seat, much of my body was on the tank. On the 'Strom I have tried others bikes with Sargent , Ricks Custom and a Corbin as well as stock. I am leaning towards a softer Russell type for it. The best way is see if you can hook up with some local 'Strom riders and sit on the seats and or perhaps swap it for a day's ride. They are $$ for a good seat , but worth it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yeah, I have a negative.

The damn thing is costing me an arm & leg in fuel $$$.

I've had to fill up the Strom once a day for the past 5 days straight!!!

Stick with the crappy stock seat, it helps save the environment.

Seriously though, the seat raised me up 1" and moved me back 1". I have Kouba lowering links now to compensate for the increased height (I'd not planned on them prior). I am still working on the 'reach' aspect, I need a longer set of risers. The positioning is pretty much spot on, I can ride for hours and not use my highway bars at all, my knees were so cramped up before and I never knew it.

Watch out for "trying out" a local Strom rider's seat. The Russell Day Longs are custom made, you'd have to find someone with your same ergonomics to compare apples to apples.

·
Registered
609 Posts
photobiker made a good point about just trying someone elses. The only person I have ever talked to that didnt like their Russel day long was a person that had one that came wiht the bike when they bought it. The seat wasnt made for him and completely off. These are custom made to your arse. In my case being so heavy I also had to add the heavyweight suspension system.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Like PhotoBiker said you will sit a good inch or more higher.I find that i want to sit back more but Russel will fix that for me this winter. I had already installed 2" Rox risers so all is good in that department.I installed a set of Soupy's adjustable links and lowered the bike 3/4" and raised the forks 1/2" and got back down to the balls of my feet.Lost ground clearance but i don't go that far off road to matter.
The seat was well worth the purchase as it is a LOT more comfortable than the stocker. I did over 600kms over 12 hrs Friday with no complaints and it isn't even "broken in" yet.
Another thing Russel will refund you providing you give them a couple of attemts to fix any problems you might have.Can't beat that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My new Russell is comfy, but they've changed the leather they use and the new stuff is crap. I've got nearly 30,000 miles on my Mz saddle with no visible wear at all. My PC started showing wear at about 90,000 miles but that's sort of to be expected, nu?

My new Russell on my Vstrom with less than 1,000 miles on it is already wearing visibly at the seam under my thigh. I sent Russell a note about it and they responded "wear is normal".

The difference is the leather. The Mz seat leather is about twice as thick as the leather on the Wee.

Revill

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I guess it will depend a lot on the accuracy of the custom fit. Anything has to be better than this stock seat.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I guess it will depend a lot on the accuracy of the custom fit. Anything has to be better than this stock seat.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I started with the 650 seat and I am using a 1000 seat while my russell is being made. Even the 1000 seat is a pain the arse. They rank right up there with some of the worst seats. And to think, I thought BMW made uncomfortable seats....:new_soapbox:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts