StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm in that area of PA right now for the Durty Dabbers AMA dual sport ride. I got to trail ride with Mike Laffery today. My good riding buddy is helping set up that trials event next weekend. Have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The most amazing riding ever seen. I went to a competition years ago in Holbrook, AZ. Those guys (and gals) were going up stuff I would think a goat would not be able to. If you can attend, you will not regret it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wish I could. I would love to see an actual trials event. I got to see and hang out with Tommy Avahla afew years ago, great guy and awsome sport. Would like to try it myself(just for fun). Good luck to your son.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I love trials but there are not very many events to go watch. I wish it was bigger here in the US. It seems like all the trials action is in Europe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Trials is almost a secret sport here in America... Seems people would rather see bikes flying 80 feet over a triple jump in a stadium than launching up a 20 foot vertical ledge with an overhang at the top, all from a standing stop with less than 10 feet of run at it. Not to take anything away from the motocross guys, I raced for 19 years and only started riding trials after I blew out my right ACL in an Arenacross.
My son started out riding bicycle trials when he was about 10, won his first NORBA National Championship when he was 13, and went on to win 19 Pro Mens titles before he hung it up in 02. The last 4 years of his career he had to opportunity to spend 5 weeks every summer competing in Europe and Japan, representing the USA in the world championships, and was the US team captain when the UCI World Finals were held in Durango Colorado in 01.
He just got back into Mototrials about 4 years ago and competes in the Expert class in the Nationals on a Beta. We're lucy enough to live in one of the Trials hotspots here in Pa.--- There are also pockets of enthusiasm in western NY, Tennesee, Ohio and a bunch in the southwest and northern Calli.
Here's a few videos of my son playing around on his bike...
http://d6trials.com/?p=1062
http://d6trials.com/?p=459
http://d6trials.com/?p=1284
In the Bicycle video, J's the one on the bike with the bright green wheels...

·
Registered
163 Posts
It is almost a hidden sport in the U.S.

If you would like to watch a 'local' Trial (or join us) out club puts on Trials in the NC, VA area. We usual run a 9 Trial Series. Our next event is Jun 19 in Axton, VA.

Web site CVOTC.org

·
Registered
96 Posts
Trials is almost a secret sport here in America... Seems people would rather see bikes flying 80 feet over a triple jump in a stadium than launching up a 20 foot vertical ledge with an overhang at the top, all from a standing stop with less than 10 feet of run at it. Not to take anything away from the motocross guys, I raced for 19 years and only started riding trials after I blew out my right ACL in an Arenacross.
My son started out riding bicycle trials when he was about 10, won his first NORBA National Championship when he was 13, and went on to win 19 Pro Mens titles before he hung it up in 02. The last 4 years of his career he had to opportunity to spend 5 weeks every summer competing in Europe and Japan, representing the USA in the world championships, and was the US team captain when the UCI World Finals were held in Durango Colorado in 01.
He just got back into Mototrials about 4 years ago and competes in the Expert class in the Nationals on a Beta. We're lucy enough to live in one of the Trials hotspots here in Pa.--- There are also pockets of enthusiasm in western NY, Tennesee, Ohio and a bunch in the southwest and northern Calli.
Here's a few videos of my son playing around on his bike...
D6 Trials » JJ Climbing a rock in slow motion at Hillsgrove
D6 Trials » 10/4/2009 JJ Gregorowicz riding section 11, Hillsgrove PA
D6 Trials » Video of JJ, Marc and Logan riding bicycles at Farrandsville
In the Bicycle video, J's the one on the bike with the bright green wheels...
Good stuff! Thanks!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Where is the course exactly? I ran distric 6 hare scrambles years ago, but those tracks are widely known. Its been years since I have seen a national trials run. I could not find the link for directions, but if ya do please repost. Pine grove maybe?
Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's a 2 day event, where can I get more info on each days schedule? A better link with directions and camping options too...or a phone # to call?

We've talked about going to this event for some time now, but now that it's almost here I can't find details on it.

Thanks, dave

·
Registered
280 Posts
Going up Saturday morning with three others, but won't get theret 'till about noon. Hope thats not to late to see stuff.
I'll be on a black/maroon strom and wearing an Ossa tee. ( I raced a Phantom when I was young.)

Dave

·
Registered
280 Posts
Went up Saturday and watched Cody Web cleanly "jump" up a double tiered rock ledge about 8' high. That's pretty cool.

With so many bikes in the stable if I ever do get a trials bike it'll have to be someones well used, (as in many battle scars), bike. Like someones practice bike they used to compete on in past seasons.

Anyone know of a 2 stroke, about 250cc, "modern" model? .....must be cheap!
Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts