StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please give some hope here?

I can only spot one person that has used the California Scientific? about two that have used the Windstrom. I see no enthusiasm for laminar lips, givi, cee bailey.... there's always the caveat: .... "its pretty good, except that your head is a mister bobblehead and you can't see anything for the double vision".....

z

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well.... maybe a little hope. The stock windshield on my DL-650 gave me a giant dose of buffeting (6-3") no matter the height of the windshield. I got a touring Laminar Lip and that was the cure. I can ride with my face shield up up to 60 mph or so (shield in the middle position). At 70 mph, the ride is so much quieter, there is no longer a need for earplugs. Buffeting is down about 90%. Upper body protection is far better.

I never expected that little piece of plastic to turn my bike into a Gold Wing, but it did take me from an unbearable situation to a quiet and comfortable ride in most situations. Not bad for $85.00. The only exception to this is with strong cross winds. They will collapse the still air bubble and you find yourself back into buffeting... though not near as bad as without the lip.

All in all, I am thrilled with the result and the lack of $ I spent.

Bill

J

·
0 Posts
Waaay toooo subjective and sooo maanny variables. For my 5'9" 31" inseam, I'm pretty happy with the stock shield on my wee strom in the 3rd position.
It's better than my GS ever was, and I like to think I'm riding a dual sport not a total street bike so I consider some noise/turbulence part of that equation.
How many different ones have you tried?
Maybe your on the wrong bike and need to buy a Gold Wing or BMW RT.

M

·
0 Posts
I must be the only guy on the planet that thinks the factory issue wind screen is pretty good. I sit way above it and my helmet is in very clean air, which means no buffeting at all. It keeps most of the junk off my torso and my full face helmet takes care of the rest. I ride in all kinds of weather too, not just dry conditions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Including todays ride, I only have 313 miles on my less than a week old 05 DL650, but the stock screen in the low position is working pretty good for me.Now if the weather can keep this up here in Missouri.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had the 02 DL1000. Know that original screen had sever buffeting problems. It would try to lift your helmet off your head and it felt like someone was slapping you across the head. I'am happy with my 04 DL650 screen. The idea is to have the bottom of your helmet above the top of the wind screen. I'am 6'3" and use the 20 +mm touring seat with the sheild in its highest postion.

B

·
0 Posts
I'm using a CB 23.5 in the middle position.

It's no Goldwing but it is better than my DR650 was with a fly screen at 140 kph.

I would say it's almost as good as it's going to get. I still have one option to try: mirrors, risers, and a GL1100 screen.

J

·
0 Posts
I'm just over 6", 34" inseam and have a Windstrommer that came with the machine. If I put it all the ay up I have to look through it. Middle is pretty good but to avoid all buffetting I need to bend forward a bit. I'm going to swap bars to something alum and 2" lower to see if that gets me out of all of it. Stock (04) will probably get cut lower to be my summer short tour screen.

P

·
0 Posts
I had problems with buffeting and wind noise on both of my '03 Suzukis at first. It took some experimenting, and some $$$ to figure things out. What I learned was that having wind from a windscreen hit you mid-helmet (above the chinbar and below the very top of the helmet) is the culprit. It is much worse than riding a bike with no windscreen. The other thing I learned is that all full face helmets are NOT equally good at wind management. A solution can require the combination of a windscreen modification AND a change in helmet.

My V-Strom solution (I am 6'6"):

In the Summer, I ride with the shorty stock screen (the '03 does not have the adjustable setup). This puts my helmet just above the windblast from the screen. I bought a Shoei Z-Two helmet. It is far superior to the other helmets I owned in this situation where the helmet is fully in the wind. I get no buffeting, wind noise is at an acceptable level, and I get plenty of cooling air for those hot months. Basically the windscreen is taking the wind pressure off of my chest, which is all I need for comfortable riding.

In the late Fall & Winter, I swap a tall Cee Bailey windscreen on to the bike. This lifts the wind to where it is just brushing the top of my helmet and also gives more overall body protection from the cold wind. The Shoei Z-Two is very noisy in this situation. But my older Shoei RF-800 is perfect. My HJC CL-14 sits in the closet. It does not perform well in either windscreen configuration.

With the new adjustable mounting system and windscreen, and with differences in rider height (and head shape where helmets are concerned), solutions will differ. But the principles are much the same.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Manta "TS"

I bought a Windstrom shield that I put on when I picked the DL1000 up (I had test ridden the bike first and didn't want anything to do with the OEM shield) and Eric kindly dubbed me a beta tester for the "TS" mod that works much like the laminar lip. This shield works really well for me (5'11" and 30" inseam) in the middle position. I won't look through plastic (otherwise I'd just get a cage). Quiet up to about 85 then not much sound and no buffeting up to 125 indicated. Side wind causes some noise, but it does on a Gold Wing too. I think the design actually improves the look of the bike. Quiality, fit and finish are excellent. Can't imagine anything better for this bike. 1500 miles so far so I guess its not a difinitive review.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hyper, jkam, et al

jkam I'm about one inch from dubbing you "EEyore". the solution is to ditch the bike? nah.

Hyperl: we need to talk magnas. that's next in the stable and I'm collecting accessories now

Sounds like the best, unqualified "it works" report we have here is for the Laminar Lip. What is my best source for the Lip?????? gotta try it.

I still hear hedging on Windstrom.... I'm not hearing you say its an unflinching success, and I'm 6'2.5"

To the comment about "leaning forward".... I have found it matters not whether I run with stocker or Givi, in any position, if I lean forward enough, at the right angle, I can get quiet. I don't want the fatigue that comes with that... would rather save my energy for riding, not fighting.
As someone yesterday said correctly, one of the big issues is that the screen is a half a block away from the rider, especially since I customized my seat and sit about 1.4" further back now [the seat's working well.] And, I will be raising the bars with the 1.2" riser add-on. So, leaning forward will be less and less desirable. My back likes to sit straight.

Yes for summer I plan to actually whack off the turbulence-inducing lip at the top of the stocker and put it down in the low position and ride in the wind.

thanks for many reports
z

·
Registered
35 Posts
Windstrom

Only reason I left any qualifiers is that 1500 miles can't be the last word on any motorcycle product. I have to assume there are no real surprises left but...

I'll have the ultimate answer in June if I can sneak away for the BB Gold (1500 in 24) run I'm planning.

Don't know what to say about the height question. What you really need to do is find someone near you that has a Windstrom and ride the bike. You can test mine if you're willing to push it through the 500 feet of snotty, slippery, icy Michigan driveway to get to the road....

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm 5'6" (30" inseam) and have the stock short screen and the Laminar Touring Lip. I've tried all 3 standard positions and found the middle one to work the best. It helps a lot, but is not the answer for me. I would say I won't use the stock screen without it, but still con$idering the Manta TS. I'm not sure if the stock height Manta would be better, or if a shorter one is offered with the TS would be better. I'm thinking the second choice would work better for my height as I know the laminar type stuff does make a difference. I just don't know what shorter height would be correct!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
columbo

columbo, I think you should try the Givi. I'm pretty tall and it ALMOST works. in fact, even in the middle position with the upper screws spaced so its a little straighter, I'm smooth up to about 60 or so. above that and the turbulence sits right on top of my helmet.
Then, in the full up [highest] position , If I simply slouch I'm in pretty good air, and the odd thing is that it gets better faster. its a tad turbulent at 60, but less so at 80mph. So I think your height in the saddle is to your advantage. the givi is relatively cheap [try arizona motorsports].
I know at least one guy that had the biggest cee bailey but says he prefers the Givi most of the time [he's tall also]

What is a webpage where I can read up on the Manta ??

z

·
Registered
144 Posts
I actually am thinking of the GiVI as well at HALF the price, but it also is quite a bit narrower than the Manta. They are on Windstrom's site...whatever that is. Manta is the name they give to the screen for '04-'05 model bikes (not the "dual screen" version). I think there are more posts on this site as well. I'm not so sure I'll like or get used to the black trim on the GiVi. I sure would like more feedback on both. Even thought of buying both because the GiVi is reasonably priced. Not at tall happy with what I've got now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Givi windshield

I bought the Givi windshield and have been riding with it in the lowest position. I don't get any buffeting except from the sides, but it is a little noisy. I found that if I duck my head down about 2 inches the wind noise goes away. I just raised it to the middle position tonight and will find out how that works tomorrow. Sitting on the bike, I wonder if the black edge bead is going to be annoying as it's right near eye level!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, whatever you do, please report back. we are all in this together!
z

D

·
0 Posts
ditto Motornoggin

This has been my experience with the DL650. But I am coming from a
Nighthawk 750 with a 15 inch screen. The DL650 seems pretty luxurious. :)
I think my Shoei RF1000 and -33 dB earplugs help though.

About the only screen that I would consider after looking around on the
net at them is the Windstrom Manta.

Hope you find something that works Zapp !

dxr

Motornoggin said:
I must be the only guy on the planet that thinks the factory issue wind screen is pretty good. I sit way above it and my helmet is in very clean air, which means no buffeting at all. It keeps most of the junk off my torso and my full face helmet takes care of the rest. I ride in all kinds of weather too, not just dry conditions.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i do admit i have some different perspective. i'm like either on or off. if I'm going to get in the wind, I may as well ride my XR650R in the dirt and get dirty, gritty, lotsa wind, pull wheelies, all that stuff. If I gotta do a 10 hour day from here to new mexico, I do not want my head being forced all around with thunderclap popping in my ears. I prefer to ride those kinda rides with a half helmet [a 'hat'] and shades, and no earplugs.
it CAN be done.... been there

z

W

·
0 Posts
I like my Cee Bailey's touring on my 2003 'Strom. Yes, I have to clean it on occasion since I look through it, but the optics are great and all it takes is a bottle of water, a microfiber auto detailing towel you get get at Costco for about $9 a dozen and thirty seconds of my time every six hours or so of riding. My only complaint is that it creates a bubble of negative air pressure behind it which has been known to pull my Kilimanjaro jacket up a bit. I resolved that problem by cutting a small round hole and the base of the windshield. Best of all, absolutely no helmet buffeting at speeds up to 115 mph, and I can raise my helmet visor up at highway speeds without blowing my glasses off my face.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts