StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered the swing arm sliders, frame sliders and a SuperBrace from SVRacing. Now I need engine guards and skid plate. Probably will go with the Givi guard and the MotoStuff skid plate. One big problem, this is gonna cost a lot of dough! The skidplate alone is $225.00 without shipping. How necessary is a skidplate to guy that rarely goes off pavement? Is there a cheap skid plate out there that would give me a just a little protection?

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
For me, crash bars and skid plate are not necessary items. I do 0 off road and it's just added weight. I'll take my chances on a tip over. I do have frame sliders and swing arm spools.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I regularly go on dirt roads and I don't have a skid plate. IMO they are not something that is required unless you are in adventure mode.
Sure the oil filter, cooler and sump are a little vulnerable but they are equally vulnerable from stones and debris thrown up from the front tyre on the street.
Look at the post somewhere on this forum about the guy who destroyed both rims riding over a house brick sized rock on the road, there was no damage to the engine.

My advice. Save your money until you know you need to spend it.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Go for the skid plate. I lost an oil filter from road debris on I-95 in Providence, RI.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A skid plate probably isn't necessary if your not going to do any off roading. But some protection down in front of the engine would be really wise. Here is what I think you should get.
http://www.superbikestore.com/suzuki_dl650.htm Hopefully this link works for ya and it is alot less money then the skid and engine gaurds. Which if your using frame sliders you may not want need both.

Eric N

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Go for the skid plate. I lost an oil filter from road debris on I-95 in Providence, RI.
Tom is right on the money on this!!! Yes, I ride sort of rough so I invested in the protection. BUT, most of the stuff that I have hit IS road debris! I would have lost my oil cooler, (and maybe my motor), two times in the past year due to stuff I hit and flipped up and "banged" off of the skid plate. Either install a skid plate or buy the Touratech oil cooler relocation kit for the bike, (or build your own.).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A skid plate probably isn't necessary if your not going to do any off roading. But some protection down in front of the engine would be really wise. Here is what I think you should get.
http://www.superbikestore.com/suzuki_dl650.htm Hopefully this link works for ya and it is alot less money then the skid and engine gaurds. Which if your using frame sliders you may not want need both.

Eric N
You have one?

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
I went with Pat Walsh designs (www.patwalshdesigns.com) engine guards, skid plate and oil cooler guard and am very pleased. The engine guards have built in hwy peg brackets if ya care. I think he offers discounts to members here.
I'm not sure how much off-road I'm gonna do but I want the bike to be ready if I do go.

·
Registered
539 Posts
FWIW depending on where you live you don't "need" a skid plate.
I ride off pavement every day (but no rocks) and just got one a few months ago.

If you "want" one and have a limited budget, the Studebaker crash bars & skid plate are "good enough" and are one of the least costly set ups.

You can get them thru Vstroma.com or as I did; see if your local independent shop can order it and save you even more.

·
Registered
22,275 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I have a Dan Vesel skidplate, which is a smaller, cheaper alternative to skidpans that cover more area. I'd say I'm a 95% road rider, except for the 80 miles of dirt road and gravel wash I did last weekend, where my skid plate paid for itself twice over. It's all well and good to say - pick your lines carefully. 99.99% of the time, I do. A skidplate is kind of like insurance, totally useless unless you need it because something bad and/or unexpected happens.

Personally, I like the looks of the SW Motech skidplate. Maybe I'll get one some day. At least I can say that I've used the one I have.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have givi crash bars and I can say that they are a good investment. Laid it down going no speed in gravel and the blinker was the only real damage. No fairing damage or anything else.
Getting a skid plate I think is just a personal decision. If your going to be riding a lot of dirt/gravel and pushing the limits of where a strom can go, it might be a real good idea. I got a Hyde racing skid plate. It was $100 + bucks and is thick plastic. It isn,t really skid plate worthy, but I got it mostly just for cheaper that aluminum skid plate protection. I also have a fenda ext. Buy what you want and ride...You only live once. :)
Here, my setup...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Tom is right on the money on this!!! Yes, I ride sort of rough so I invested in the protection. BUT, most of the stuff that I have hit IS road debris! I would have lost my oil cooler, (and maybe my motor), two times in the past year due to stuff I hit and flipped up and "banged" off of the skid plate. Either install a skid plate or buy the Touratech oil cooler relocation kit for the bike, (or build your own.).
here's the documentation on the touratech relocation: http://www.touratech-usa.com/docs/09-390-0190-1.pdf

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's up to you

I have SW-Motech crash bars and skid plate on my 06 Vee that were previously on my 05 Vee. Recently, the bike was blown over in high wind. The crash bars saved the bike from a lot of damage; had to replace the right-front turn signal housing and the long screw that goes into the throttle-side vibration dampener. I can’t honestly say that the skid plate has saved vital engine parts from severe damage but there are quite a number of dents and dings on both sides and in the front. A couple times I’ve seen stuff bouncing on the highway only to hear it bounce off my bike; stuff like lug nuts, lead weights, various sized bolts, etc. Personally, I like the look of the SW-Motech skid plate. It also covers more engine parts than the OEM plastic.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
To skid plate or not

Hope my pic's worked, I have skidplate, crashbars, radiator cover. I know I wont go offroad but things happen even in the city. Construction, cars, and other road (idiot) hazards. Maybe you need to take a closer look at the underside of your bike, and try to imagine what kind of damage could happen, how much are you going to spend replacing stuff??? I didn't want to chance it, besides - it looks great.:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Do you have a Fenda Extenda? Would it have helped?
I did have a Fenda Extenda when that happened. I can't seem to find the pictures I took of the damage and lots of old threads have disappeared from this site.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
pay attention to where your going, pick your way thru rocks, don't tailgate trucks and be surprised by road debris
Easy to say, not always so easy to do. The piece of sheet metal that took out my oil filter was across the entire left lane lane on I-95. Going around it was not an option, Jersey barrier to the left, heavy traffic to the right. Stopping wasn't an option either, so I went over it. And no, I wasn't tailgating.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Boondocker i was looking at the Dan Vessel and it looks like you could easily bolt another piece of stock on the front of it to protect more of the engine area and oil filter. It seems that it would also be easy work to fab it up to the Givi or other engine guards too. What is your guesstimate on the gauge of steel holding up to a big impact, from say like a large sharp jutting rock? This being if the plate was bolted in the front to engine guards. If you think it could take these big hits i might go with it too. It is an important piece but prices are averaging more than double for what they are priced at on dirt bikes. I guess it would only take one mistake to realize it was worth the investment.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts