Strom Trooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a 49 tooth steel rear sprocket available? I don't see one, I do see that 47 tooth is stock, and 48 is available. I find myself cruising around in 5th gear, and would like to have more lively acceleration, I don't think the 48 tooth will be quite enough.

I realize that most guys seem to go the other way, to smaller rear sprockets, but that's not what I want.

Thanks, it's for a 2004 V-Strom 650.

Paul Streeter

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dropping one tooth on the front is about the same as adding three in the rear. I think that would be a bigger change than I want.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Supersprox sprockets can supply you a 49T........."On Demand Stealth CNC".
Chain life increases the larger the sprockets get (front or back). I am thinking about swapping my 47T Supersprox out for a 46T unit for my trip to Alaska next Spring......LOTS of highway miles between Bama and Fairbanks......want to drop the RPM's just a tad.
https://www.supersproxusa.com/products.php?cat=1125574

·
Registered
113 Posts
Maybe I'll try the 14 tooth front instead.
Give it a try, it will only change your RPMs by about 500 higher, but it makes a pretty big difference, especially in higher gears and feeling the bike really pull a lot better. I made the switch a few weeks ago to a 14t front and I would not go back to a 15t. Maybe if I road mostly out west with looong stretches of fast highways but for me 14t is perfect for my riding. Even on the slab cruising at 80 mph I don't feel like the bike is overrevving. Some have claimed better mpg and increases in overall top speed with the 14t (I have never hit top speed on mine, nor have I noticed much difference in mileage, mine gets 45-48mpg no matter how I ride seemingly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts