StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting back into a dual purpose bike after many years of being without one.
Years ago I had a 250cc & took a mates BMW F650gs for a ride which was nice but I want something with a good range & the strom seems to fit the bill.
I have found one which is a 07 DL650 online that looks good but the only thing turning me off is it has 77,000kms on it.
My question is how many kms before a strom would start needing $ spent on it?
I'm hoping to use it ocassionally around town during the week plus trips away & would plan to keep it for years to come.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
how much do they want for the 70,000 model?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just bought an 07 model. With 9000 miles and a lot of farkles for 3800.

And I have seen others in similar condition for similar prices.

I know the market is different around the country and I did get a good deal but, I have seen others get good deals recently.

Many will point out on this forum that 77000 miles is not a lot for these bikes and they are 100% correct.

However, I think you should be able to find one with pretty low miles for that dollar amount and I'd rather do that.

My opinion.

Sent from my droid.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
2007 model $4990 pretty much standard with panniers.
and this while u can buy a 2011 non-abs ride away from your dealer for around $9500. - ummm.... i think there is a fair bit room to negotiate.

I have seem a number of bikes with more than 120,000km with out issues myself. My own one has done about 60,000km with any issues. So there is still a fair bit of life left to go.

·
Registered
868 Posts
High KM's

I'm thinking of getting back into a dual purpose bike after many years of being without one.
Years ago I had a 250cc & took a mates BMW F650gs for a ride which was nice but I want something with a good range & the strom seems to fit the bill.
I have found one which is a 07 DL650 online that looks good but the only thing turning me off is it has 77,000kms on it.
I'm hoping to use it ocassionally around town during the week plus trips away & would plan to keep it for years to come.
Cheers
I bought my 05 wee, with 92000kms and paid $4000 about june last year and it come with GPS, 2 x topboxes new Anakees, new chain and sprockets, brakes etc. It know has abot 102645kms on the clock, if you look after it and service regulary soem mechanics believe you will get 200,000kms out of it. Also depends on your budget what are you willing to pay out etc. The wee is a fun machine. I bet there are some other owners on this site that also have over 100,000 on the clock and still going strong.

cheers

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
70,000 kilometers is not much, IMO.

I will reach 72,000 miles just before I complete 72 months of ownership.
My DL-650 has always worked like new and always brought me home.

There is a certain distinctive sound it makes in neutral, and it has always
made that. There is another distinctive sound it makes in sixth, and again
this noise arrived with the bike. These sounds are part of the bike, and now
they are part of me.

And I guess I am part of the bike, now too. Yes, if blood and sweat count.

72000 miles = 116700 kilometers

The bike and I are ready to go the same distance
again; just give us another six years ... I hope.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The 77,000km wouldn't be a worry, I have over 55,000km on my 09 Wee and have done only rear pads- a chain and front sprocket since I bought the bike brand new.

There are many stories on this forum of bikes with over 200,000km on them without anything more than routine servicing and parts like tyres, chains and sprockets being replaced.

Don't get influenced by MrZappo's price guide, the US market is far cheaper on second hand (and new) bike prices than our market here in Oz.

There are bikes for sale by local members on this forum as well as some posted on a couple of other forums I know of.

Don't just look for the cheapest and don't be put off by Wees with big K's on them, look for the best overall package/condition/deal on one.

Get one that has been looked after and you will be riding it for many years to come.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My 2006 DL650 has over 200,000 km on it. I wouldn't worry about the mileage As long as the price is realistic.

..Tom
That's just plain amazing Tom... Question for ya'... are you planning to retire the ole gal and grab a the 2012 or will you ride her until something major breaks?

·
Administrator
14,224 Posts
That's just plain amazing Tom... Question for ya'... are you planning to retire the ole gal and grab a the 2012 or will you ride her until something major breaks?
I really really really really like the new 2012 DL650!

:)

..Tom

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback everone.
I think a drive out of town is on the cards to check out the wee I was talking about.
Over here in west aust things tend to be more expensive & I even thought about buying one over there then doing the long ride back!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Go for it.

Cheers
Sounds like mine. I'm going to keep it forever. It's a machine and like any other, the key to longevity is care and maintenance. If it breaks, fix it.:yesnod:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everone.
I think a drive out of town is on the cards to check out the wee I was talking about.
Over here in west aust things tend to be more expensive & I even thought about buying one over there then doing the long ride back!
Plenty of knowledgeable Wee owners on the east coast who could check a bike out before you fly over.

I could ride one from east to west for you and visit my son and his family in Perth, I haven't seen the grandkids for some years now.

Then I'd jump a plane back to Sydney.

I was going to try to do a ride over there this year anyway, a one way trip would be a practice run. :fineprint:

You should be able to find a good one over there though, the west has a good number of forum members on here.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My VStrom 650 has 134,000 kms on it.

The wheel bearings were changed around 90,000 and I've just done them again at 130,000. Cost about $7.50 each, so that's $15 for front and $15 for rear. I asked the mechanic to do the bearings last time I changed tires, and the brake shoes.

Cam chains have auto-tensioners I believe, but in both the DL and the SV (same motor) the tensioners can stop working and the cam chains rattle. Mine have been rattling for about 20,000 kms and I've put off getting them fixed. Finally pricing the parts now. I think it'll be about $120 each for the tensioners (x2) and dunno yet how much to replace the chains. I'm hoping to get at least 50,000 kms after the fix before I have to look at the cam chains again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts