StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is thinking about buying his first road bike. (avid dirtbike rider)
I have convinced him to look at vstroms. He found a 2006 Wee with 75000km on it. It looks really clean, the owner seems like a gentle rider. Just wondering what major service might be needed with that many KMs? I think the asking price is $3600 cdn. I think the valves were adjusted and brakes were done at 50000kms. Almost all highway riding. Anyone have any thoughts or questions to ask? Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
With 75,000km on it, i'd negotiate that price down. I know prices in the states are far less than Canada (im from Canada too)
I biught my V-Strom 650 last year with 32,000 km only and perfect condition with a givi top case for $3,700 and i hardly negotiated

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think he can find lower milage bike for this price. I would not buy this old. This is my opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought he should offer close to $3k. It has hard cases, but no engine guards or skid plate etc. It has been just pavement ridden.

·
Administrator
13,201 Posts
Can't comment on the appropriate price but my 2006 has 202,000 km with virtually no issues and very little maintenance and my 2012 has over 83,000 km with virtually no maintainance.

Mileage really isn't much of an issue with these bikes.

..Tom

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just last December I paid 3000$ for an '04 with 20000km on it. Older but way lower mileage. I do agree mileage is not a big issue with these.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Milage may not be much of an issue with these bikes I feel is a true statement ,However TOM I would not be paying 3000 for your bike :green_lol:

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
If the motor was well cared for then it should be fine

BUT

If it hasn't been changed etc. then ALL suspension etc. is beyond toast

·
Registered
46 Posts
More To Consider

It's not just a question of whether or not the bike has life left. 1. Why buy a bike with 75k when there are so many low mileage bikes around (especially true in Canada with short riding season)? 2. If you do buy this bike, you better plan on keeping it a long time because it's really going to have a lot of km's on it when you go to sell it. If you're on the fence at 75k, just imagine how hard it's going to be to sell with 100K.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
1. Why buy a bike with 75k when there are so many low mileage bikes around (especially true in Canada with short riding season)?

:green_lol::green_lol: short riding season?? We ride all year round here in BC...

OP...my 2009 has 160,000 kms on it.... the engines are bulletproof on these...

at that milage, you will need front springs, steering head bearings and adding nice rear shock spring upgrade would do your friend well,.

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Its a Suzuki, at 75000 km it should be just about run in:mrgreen:
I lived in Vietnam,left there in 2001 and sold my Suzuki Viva 110cc Underbone to a mate.We returned December 2013 and he still has the Viva,96,000km and runs like a new one. Absolutely no problems in all that time,the bike still looks good but the suspension is getting tired.:thumbup:

·
Registered
595 Posts
If the guy is ASKING 3600...he probably expects around 3000 imho.
But as others advised I would look around a bit for a little lower mileage.
Points made re suspension components being well past their best before date are right on the money.
A good rear shock replacement is gonna cost 500 to 800 bucks for that alone.
Doesn't hurt to low ball him on the price, as long as he doesn't take a swing at ya.:yikes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts