1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New here,
I am planning to pick strom.
I have had a gs450e back in india... done some great trips on it.

I am looking to continue doing so but I need a bike first but I am not able to find any.
Recently I found one and it has done 68k miles and i am not convinced on it as it cost $4000
so any suggetions.
Since i dont a credit history i cant get loan also for a new one..
should i wait and get a new one or pick this..
i stay in redmond if any one knows any for sale pls let me know. i am bored of sitting at home doing nothing....

thanks,
Ganesh

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Can you do your own mechanical repairs

The basic number is not totally frightening but there are things that wear out.

Does it he have a history ? and a list of work done. Suspension etc should be gone thru. Its on its 3rd or 4th chain.

I might argue that if your not adept then starting with a used bike always makes sense.

Offer him 3200 so you have latitude for repairs etc.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Ganesh,

you don't list the year of the bike so the price is hard to gauge, however it seems high to me. I think you can do better for your budget. I suggest holding out a little longer as spring is quickly comming and so is the used motorcycle market.

Have you checked the "for Sale" section here? These guys mostly take good care of their bikes. I got my 2007 Vee here and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I suggest holding out a little longer as spring is quickly comming and so is the used motorcycle market.
I don't have an opinion on the bike in question, but the advice above makes little sense in and of itself. Bike prices go up in spring and used selection goes down, because more people are buying than selling.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Unless the bike comes with a ton of farkles that price sounds pretty high considering the high mileage. I paid $4400 for a DL1000 with 8000 miles and about $1500 worth of toys on it. I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Bike prices go up in spring and used selection goes down, because more people are buying than selling.
Average asking prices are indeed higher in the Spring, but the selection of used inventory is in fact at its peak at the beginning of the season, too -- because more people are buying than selling and the sellers know this.

Yes, the selection of used bikes will contract...eventually. Current economic conditions aren't so rosy that every used motorcycle will be snapped up for full asking price on the first day it enters the market.

------------------------------

As for the specific DL1000 mentioned by Ganesh: Based on the mileage alone, it's a bit too pricey for my liking.

·
Registered
414 Posts
As stated, you dont mention the year but that price seems high to me unless there is other factors (complete service records,recent yr. model,lots of mods and accessories). I would keep looking in the ads here on the site as I have seen many that seem a better buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you do your own mechanical repairs

Does it he have a history ? and a list of work done. Suspension etc should be gone thru. Its on its 3rd or 4th chain.

Offer him 3200 so you have latitude for repairs etc.
I can do most of the work my self.
But I has asked about the history and no major repairs is wat i am told.
He is not ready to reduce it below 4000.

Hi Ganesh,

you don't list the year of the bike so the price is hard to gauge, however it seems high to me. I think you can do better for your budget. I suggest holding out a little longer as spring is quickly comming and so is the used motorcycle market.

Have you checked the "for Sale" section here? These guys mostly take good care of their bikes. I got my 2007 Vee here and couldn't be happier.
Sorry for not listing the year, it is 2004

What you said sound good Ill wait for some time and get a better offer.

I don't have an opinion on the bike in question, but the advice above makes little sense in and of itself. Bike prices go up in spring and used selection goes down, because more people are buying than selling.
Noted

Hi Ganesh,

As for the specific DL1000 mentioned by Ganesh: Based on the mileage alone, it's a bit too pricey for my liking.
I think ill wait...

@icnxpln i am going to look into the ads and see what i can find...

Thanks guys. i guess ill wait. The miles is a big :headbang:

And one more thing i spotted a DL1000 in olx.com
2006 Suzuki v strom dl1000 - Seattle - Motorcycles

and i contacted the seller and he said he will ship it to me from MS, it costs 2700 for a 2006 model.

Can i trust this?

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Weird that Seattle bike was the exact same one that was for sale in New Hampshire a year ago.

I smell scam, I had talked to the guy in New Hampshire he seemed ODD then I found my left over and decided to buy it instead.

I even told him that I would at least loose the stereo

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I can do most of the work my self.
But I has asked about the history and no major repairs is wat i am told.
He is not ready to reduce it below 4000.

Sorry for not listing the year, it is 2004

What you said sound good Ill wait for some time and get a better offer.

Noted

I think ill wait...

@icnxpln i am going to look into the ads and see what i can find...

Thanks guys. i guess ill wait. The miles is a big :headbang:

And one more thing i spotted a DL1000 in olx.com
2006 Suzuki v strom dl1000 - Seattle - Motorcycles

and i contacted the seller and he said he will ship it to me from MS, it costs 2700 for a 2006 model.

Can i trust this?
No that's a Scam price, avoid it, remember what mom says "if it sounds too good to be true it is". It might be a legit sale but for that price it would have to have a salvage title or something like that.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Here's the reply from that guy. Please be careful. Take off $500 for shipping and you're left with $2200 for a low mileage bike. Don't fall for it.

"The bike is in perfect condition, nothing wrong, not wrecked, never layed down, never dropped, not out on rain ... clean title, first owner and all papers come along with the bike ... The price is $2700 shipping included, to your address .We can use a shipping company to protect your money and my bike, it's up to you if you want ... I will
handle the shipping, so this will be free of charge for you. Also, a refund policy will be included ...

Waiting ...."

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just bought a 04 wee for 2800. 16k miles on it. it has been well taken care of but was ridden off road so it does have some dings and scraches. I have always has perfect looking machines, like show room new looking bikes. this is the first one with any kind of scrapes and to tell you the truth Im a lot more relaxed about it and its a duel sport so a few scrapes kinda look like battle scars.

but I got it for 2800 with 16k miles. no way is an 04 with nearly 70k worth 4 grand.. unless the seat is made of gold or something:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the suggestion guys...

I found a 2003 dl1000 for 3500 30k done .

If every thing goes well i should be able to get it in my hand with in 2 days.

This is my second month in US and every one is against me:)argue:) in getting a motorbike before car hehehe...

and i am hoping to make some friends and travel....

-----------------------------------------------------------
YouTube - Adding Kullu-Manali/Rohtang Pass to my Motorcycle Diary!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts