StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at one for sale. It's got quite a bit of the costly farkles on it, but the guy's asking 5800, which seems a bit high to me. Any opinions?

·
Registered
211 Posts
There was a 09 on here for 5500 with like 350 miles and some farkles but it sold, mileage seems high for the price IMO....

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Are they highway miles? This bike is easily good for 100k miles....so if they have been 27k easy miles.....could be a fair price.....especially with farkles.

My farkles easily cost over $3k.....putting my 2007 over $10k invested. That makes $5,500....sound like a bargain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear you on the farkle cost adding up. That's no joke! I think I was hoping I'd come across a very similar deal with about 1/2 the miles. Just being picky I guess. I'm not real patient, so we'll see.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I surely wouldnt worry bout the mileage....:beatnik:

cheers

·
Administrator
18,468 Posts
That aint even broke in yet!!!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Maybe try and talk him down a little. Pay close attention to the fork seals.

I paid 3900 for mine in FL 2 years ago, and have put over $2000 in farkles on it. I bought an 05 with 8,000 miles, sans farkles. Now it has 29,000 miles on it. I figure I could sell it for $3000 and get $1000 for the farkles if I wanted out, but I don't. :thumbup:

How about a list of what is on the bike? Just my Russell seat cost a pretty penny. :fineprint:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Mileage not too high. Price I think he is asking a bit much.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on an 09 model today for less than that out the door including tax. The bike only had nine hundred miles on it and was traded in at the local Honda Dealer. I grabbed as it was my color choice and I've been looking for on under six for a VERY long time. Has extended warranty as well and has the essential farkles if not many of them. I feel like farkles are only valuable if you would be buying them for yourself and if so you should take that into consideration. I am hoping that twenty one thousand is not a big deal on mileage as I put forty thousand miles a year on a BMW and I am now finally able to find out how durable these Wee's are. I am guessing with decent maintenance it should go everybit as far as the Beemer does and I should not have to worry about final drive failures or too heavy for the soft stuff.

Short answer, depending on WHAT farkles, that price might be good ... Best of luck. I would have paid more for this bike just because it was so low miles and the right color for me.

Here's a link Rays new VStrom 650 pictures by Ga-Bandit - Photobucket

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on an 09 model today for less than that out the door including tax. The bike only had nine hundred miles on it and was traded in at the local Honda Dealer. I grabbed as it was my color choice and I've been looking for on under six for a VERY long time. Has extended warranty as well and has the essential farkles if not many of them. I feel like farkles are only valuable if you would be buying them for yourself and if so you should take that into consideration. I am hoping that twenty one thousand is not a big deal on mileage as I put forty thousand miles a year on a BMW and I am now finally able to find out how durable these Wee's are. I am guessing with decent maintenance it should go everybit as far as the Beemer does and I should not have to worry about final drive failures or too heavy for the soft stuff.

Short answer, depending on WHAT farkles, that price might be good ... Best of luck. I would have paid more for this bike just because it was so low miles and the right color for me.

Here's a link Rays new VStrom 650 pictures by Ga-Bandit - Photobucket

Once again....it is about the farkles.... Start throwing in TouraTech stuff.....and it adds up by the thousands......

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Once again....it is about the farkles.... Start throwing in TouraTech stuff.....and it adds up by the thousands......
I guess I missed where he put toura tech as being part of the bargain he was considering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last year bought 08 650abs with 1800k miles and tons of farkles for $5300.
That is about more what I was looking for, but I've not had too much luck recently.

Here are the farkles on the bike. I'm not sure of the manufacturer of any of them, except the cases and the crash bars (they're givi).

Engine guards, Caribou side cases (panniers), Skid plate, Centerstand, Hand guards, Heated grips, Top box, Laminar Lip

One more thing to note, the guy says it's been offroad some and down twice. There are some minor scratches on the front faring.

I think I'm talking myself out of this one...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow. This bike is SO close to what I'm looking for. Unfortuantely, I don't really like the blue or red color schemes. No offense meant. My wife tells me I'm nutz. She loves the blue.

Anyone else out there with a 650 in California they're looking to offload?

·
Premium Member
Former 2x DL650 owner; moved onto Super Tenere ES
522 Posts
You could probably haggle a new one out the door for 1,000 more?

I think this is more a pricing issue than anything else. Exactly a year ago I bought my heavily farkled 2007 Wee for $4000 with 21000 in truly clean condition (tho I flew to Nashville and rode 1000+ miles home). Those miles are not a problem, but steering head bearings and fork seals are both common replacement items by that mileage and therefore could be bargaining points.

I'd probably offer him about $4700-4900, which I'm sure is better than trade-in value, unless it had every farkle you wanted on it and had all the maintenance truly up to date. Wait for another Wee, as 2009 is no different than slightly older model years. Consider widening your geographic search too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Then paint it after you buy it, not a big deal. Take it apart and get familiar with your machine. :thumbup:
Why would you go through all that hassle? Wee's aren't exactly rare bikes. He could wait a week or two and get the bike he's really looking for.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I guess it depends on where you are at.....

I had an '07 Wee, fully farkled(fork springs yet to go in but was done except for that) and an idiot kid rear ended me going 40 mph, didn't hit his brakes until he hit me:headbang:. He was in a cavalier, and both vehicles totaled, and my back is shot. Well, I had put 28,500+ miles on it in 19 months, and the insurance companies(mine and his) said I ruined it, nobody rides that much in Ohio, I declared nonsense, but neither would budge, I ended up getting 4800$ for bike and jacket and helmet:furious:. This happened in May, and I could not locate a used wee until the following Feb. I was looking all over, but kind of stuck, my dad is an invalid and I cannot be away from home for very long, and I am/was broke, so pitching in enough to get new one was not an option. It got to the point I thought I was going to have to settle for a lesser machine.

I found several great deals- a thousand miles away, and was wanting a Vee from a member here, but for some reason the wife vetoed that. I finally found an'08 with 23kmiles at a dealer(yuck) for 5200$ OTD, it only had Givi 21 liter side cases and a decent givi top case, that was it. I wish I had taken more of the wee specific farkles off my totaled bike, the insurance company did not care! As long as I put it back to stock(well I think they didn't allow me to take crash bars, but could have taken the skid pan:confused:.

My bike ran great, I did all upkeep myself, waited till around 20 k to check valves-still in spec, I loved it. The bike I got, well the idiot PO punched a hole in the muffler with a long screwdriver, it appears, and I think it is throwing the fuel injection off, the '08 replacement, has never got the gas mileage my '07 got, the '08 is lucky to get 53 mpg, and my '07 got 55-60, and the new one has a 16 tooth front(which I hate BTW) .

I had Caribou panniers and I think they helped save my life, I had got put into a low slide by car before the big one, and was sliding down a brick street on the hand guard and side case, bike came out with scratches(and the obligatory obliterated turn signal). When the big hit came, the pannier frame was quite mangled, one case torn off, swing arm and frame bent=toast.

I have slowly been farkling the new to me bike but it is rough, I can't work yet,(surgery on spine in March not working out, at least I can ride, actually riding is the least painful way for me to get around, including walking) and if I could there is my father(no lawyers want to take my case because 4 months after I got rear ended I hit a dog and badly broke my arm, enemy insurance will say all my back problems due to that :argue:. Anyway, I think you should inspect it carefully for off road abuse, when you go to buying farkles, it adds up quick, but as you know when buying a bike, they are hard to put a value on. The belly pan is 200+$ and the Caribous are the very best IMO-800$. When I hit the bricks going 20mph, one little 15$ bracket got bent and I was able to bend it back my self. If you could get them to drop the price, that would be great, but this time of year is not the best to buy a bike. I can't believe the deals some people are getting, but that is my usual luck.

It is funny, I was told by the insurance crooks that if I lived in California, where the weather is better, my bike would have been worth more, sounds like hooey, I told them I ride year round, it is my main transport, and I did not get gigged for the white rust I had from road salt. There are not a lot of Stroms around here, some in Columbus, but locally-25 mile radius there are less than a dozen I see with any regularity. Good hunting, and personally I would not give much consideration to the color, but that is me, I did a lot of research when I decided to get a motorcycle, and decided on a wee or vee, preferably the wee, and am glad I did. I can only hope to wear one out, rather than get it smashed by a car(I must be a turd magnet- got run off an on ramp to an interstate a few weeks ago by an idiot cager and jumped my bike into a field of the cloverleaf. Was about a 3 foot drop and I was going 20mph at least, I thought my oil filter was a gonner. :yikes: Hope you find what you want..........

·
Registered
103 Posts
The one you are looking at has been on craigslist for quite awhile. He would probably take less for it. For the area, I think it is a fair price.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts