StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be an idiot. Somehow I got my mind set on doing the Saddlesore 1000 this year. Looking at the current inventory in my garage, the Wee is the best choice. For a little test, I rode it from Jonesborough, TN (northeast corner) to Nashville for lunch and right back...570 miles. No problems at all!!! I geared up one tooth on the front which dropped the rpms 600 @ 80mph. I had plenty of power at interstate speeds.
So, Sept 3rd is the big day. I will be going from Jonesborough, TN to Jacksonville Beach, Fl...513 miles one way, then right back. WISH ME LUCK!!! I'll need it. If I never post on here again, You'll know I didn't make it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
SS1000

The Wee is a fine mount for your ride. Some folks have to stop every 120-140 miles. The range of the wee gives a nice edge. Stay hydrated and alert and have fun. The first one is always the most exciting.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i did that on a 955i tiger.
you will need a camel bac..
good seat, maybe an airhawk...
highway pegs..to stretch out.
a pair of gel bicycle shorts ...
maybe a throttle lock..this should work
Go Cruise Throttle Control for the New Triumph Bonneville, T100, SE, Thruxton, Scrambler, America, Speedmaster, Rocket III and Thunderbird
i like a modular helmet with speakers in it so i can listen to my ipod and eat as i ride.

also apples in your tank bag..they really help you wake up and it's fun to throw the cores.

have fun!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
You lucky bastard! I wish I was doing one this year. I did it last year and here is some (free) advice.....use a camel back (you can hydrate on the move), have snacks in your tank bag or pocket (again, you can eat on the move), get plenty of sleep the night before, put fuel reciepts in a zippered pocket (don't want to lose any!), document stops, times, miles, ect at each fuel stop, if you're feeling tired a 20 cat nap works wonders. Good luck and have a great ride!

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
I must be an idiot. Somehow I got my mind set on doing the Saddlesore 1000 this year. Looking at the current inventory in my garage, the Wee is the best choice. For a little test, I rode it from Jonesborough, TN (northeast corner) to Nashville for lunch and right back...570 miles. No problems at all!!! I geared up one tooth on the front which dropped the rpms 600 @ 80mph. I had plenty of power at interstate speeds.
So, Sept 3rd is the big day. I will be going from Jonesborough, TN to Jacksonville Beach, Fl...513 miles one way, then right back. WISH ME LUCK!!! I'll need it. If I never post on here again, You'll know I didn't make it.
`

have a successful ride !

26 miles to spare isn't much, remember to keep good docs

and regardless of what anyone sez here, the best words of wisdom are on the IBA website

IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders
Iron Butt.org General Discussion

I did ny first SS1k in a lil nekid SV650, highway milage sucked, small tank meant fuel stops every 110-120 miles, started in Barnstead, NH, end of SS1k was Columbia, SC, 4 hrs sleep, then another 576 miles to Pt St Lucie, FL to complete a BB1500 as well. 700 miles in cold miserable rain, had my lectric vest going all the way to FL, I remember waking up somewhere on I95 in Georgia going 80mph, still, got off next exit, 10 minute power nap on a picnic table, and I was good to go again

V-stroms are ok IronButt rides, but far from the best, IMHO best out of the current crop is the Connie 14

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
37 Posts
while i didnt do 1000 in one day, earlier this week i did 860 in one day.... (Baton Rouge LA to West Palm Beach FL)

A few tips.. leave before the sun comes up and get as many miles in without stopping before about 10:30 am, when the heat actually starts getting noticeable. With an airhawk and highway pegs, I was doing 200 miles at a time easily. Once the heat picked up, about 140 was my limit before stopping. I had a camelbak on with beef jerky in my pocket which I was able to snack on while riding.

Prior to 10;30 my mesh jacket was perfect. Afterwards, it was just too hot. I ended up riding with a rain jacket on (one with air vents). It restricted the airflow just enough to allow me to keep my body moist with sweat, and the slight airflow kept my body cool. Too much wind will evaporate the sweat from your body too quick, not cooling you. Everyone sweats at different rate so youll have to figure out what works for you.

At every stop I downed a small gatorade. I ended up peeing only once the entire ride. STAY HYDRATED!

Bring music.. id have gone crazy without it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
V-stroms are ok IronButt rides, but far from the best, IMHO best out of the current crop is the Connie 14
I've done our equivalent of 4 SS1000's on my Connie (and 3 on an RF900 & 2 on Bandit 1200s) and yes the Connie is ideal for it. But I'd have no problem tackling one on my Vee - it's comfortable and the range on it isn't too bad.

BTW: our version is the Rusty Nuts Grand Challenge and our route is set by the organisers. There is always very windy, slow back roads to contend with. Also our speed limit is 100km/h and you're the world's most evil criminal if you got 10km over...

The Grand Challenge - Off for a Ride

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had a couple members asking about the farkles I have put on the bike to prepare it for this ride, so here goes.
I had to get rid of that stock seat...if you can call it a seat. I found a Suzuki optional gel seat on E-Bay. It is firmer, wider and a little taller than the stocker. It is MUCH better. I have added a couple of other things: Madstad bracket, Givi Tall Windshield, Hand Guards and a Vista-Cruise. I also have Speakers in my helmet (not very good at interstate speeds, though). I have some expensive earbuds, but they aren't comfortable for long periods. I use a "Boostaroo" to help boost the volume on the speakers. I am taking 2 Ipods and XM Satellite Radio. I have a tank bag for quick access items. Radar Detector and GPS are always on my bike.
On my 570 mile test run to Nashville and 750 miles to Wheeling, WV, I kinda found out what was working and what wasn't. One thing that surprised me was that my Madstad Bracket kept slipping back. I need to do something about that before Sat. Also, the handguards really help. At around 85mph a fellow rider waved at me. I raised my left hand to return the wave and was almost pulled off the bike. I had no idea how much wind was being deflected by the hand guards and windshield. I also changed the front sprocket up one tooth which dropped the RPMs by 600 at 80 MPH, from 6000 to 5400. It didn't help the gas mileage really at all, but the engine seems more relaxed at speed and still has plenty of pulling power. I did a little math and it looks like the gear change will save around 648,000 revolutions of the engine on this trip alone. One thing is for sure, my rear tire will be toast after this trip. It is nicely squared off after my trips to Wheeling, WV, Nashville and all of the other slab riding I've been doing preparing for this. It has tread on it, but is begining to look like a car tire.
I may be making a big deal out of this ride, but I have Ulcerative Colitis which adds a whole new dimention to this trip. I almost died from it in 2000 and was 3 years getting back into shape. I have been doing pretty good with it for the last year or so...until about a month ago. All symptons came back (too gross to mention on here, Google it, lots of videos about it on You Tube), got the intestinal symtoms under control, then came Uveitis, an eye condition caused by the Colitis (feels like I jamed my trumb in my eye then dumped in a spoonfull of sand). The treatment for Uveitis is Prednisone eye drops which causes all kinds of side effects. Anyway, Damn the torpedos...I'M GOIN!!! Pain is nothing but fear leaving the body.
Thanks for all the advice and good luck you guys have sent my way. Keep it coming. I will use it wisely.

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
Good luck on your SS1000. I've done 3 of them plus BBG1500 all on my Wee without any problems at all.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I knew I managed the saddle sore a number of times but didn't realize I managed the bun burner last month until seeing the requirements. My knowing is enough for me so I I don't register and document. The major thing is to ride safely. If anybody finds their condition is compromising their alertness or reaction time, remember the better part of valor is discretion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Best wishes for a safe and successful ride, Eddievalley!!

I've done a few SS1000s (and a BBG) but never on my relatively new Wee. I'll be interested to hear how it went.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good luck mate! Be sure to post a after ride report!
-Kevin

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
Will be checking tomorrow for the angst filled report of all the crazies you encountered on the trip. Hope it will be fun!
I'm with GreyWolf, Done a lot of 1K days but didn't need to document them. Most were intended to get me far from where I started.

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
:thumbup: Congratulations on doing the Saddlesore 1000 Eddie, It is a big decision just to commit to go and ride, I have done a number of these rides and it is easier said than done,

However, having said that I can tell you that it is totally doable, and I loved the ride,

My best advice to you is to be totally rested, have your bike ready to go minus a small amount of fuel to put in to start the clock for you, Don't waste time on the first fuel up,

Time yourself for when you will hit any potential major traffic slowdowns, ie, rush hours, Get the big miles out of the way early,

I like to start a big ride, very early in the morning, usually the hour before the sun comes up so that I can clear traffic and enjoy the maximum daylight riding time,

Your DL650 is more than capable, and so are you,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I MADE IT!!!!

Well, it is done!!! I actually did it. I planned it for so long, now I can't believe it is over.
I had a hard time sleeping the night before...way to excited. Filled up the Wee at 6:03 Saturday morning and hit the road. It was still dark and I had 15 miles of 2 lane mountain road to go before the interstate, so I was on the look-out for woodland creatures. I topped the mountain on I-26 and started down toward Asheville and into the fog. The Wee was clicking right along. When I got just south of Spartanburg when I was met by a SC State Trooper who'd closed the interstate due to an accident. I had to detour west on SC 49 to I-385 then back to I-26 which added about 10 miles to the trip. I decided to stop for gas just north of Columbia, then quickly back on the road. I got to I-95 and found the traffic was FLYING!!! I mean flying. My GPS showed 90-95mph (the Wee was showing 100-105) for miles. I just got in line and went with the flow. I was really proud of my little Wee keeping up that pace with no trouble at all. I stopped for a quick lunch at McD's and a gas stop near Savanah. Now I'm thinking when I get back home I might go ahead and tack on another 500 and get my Bunburner (changed mind about 10 hrs later). Back on the road and headed for the Fl line. In Florida, the temp really started climbing. They don't call it the Sunshine State for nothing. Around the east side of Jacksonville I rode over a HUGE bridge...I couldn't believe I was there. Following the GPS and I was at my turnaround point at Jacksonville Beach. I got my fill-up reciept, walked across the street to Walgreens for a couple of T-Shirts. Then, I got out my empty mason jar and ran down the beach to scoop up a little sand and water to keep as a conversation piece.
I called the wife and a couple of friends to tell them that I'd made it...no wait, I hadn'd made it. I was only half way, and it was 4:15!!! I still had to ride all the way back!! This was going to be a LOOOONG day. It was time to set sail. Out of Jacksonville, I didn't stop until the fuel guage was flashing. Stopped just before the I-26 junction to gas up. I didn't even get off the bike. Swiped card, squirted gas in, grabbed reciept, back on the road...4 minute stop. I decided I wouldn't stop until as least north of Columbia SC.
I really hit a wall in Columbia. I was tired and having a hard time following all the signs to get through Columbia and I had been riding in the dark for 2 hours already. The difficulty of this ride was sinking in. I really needed to stop for something to eat and some gas. I was so happy to see the big WAFFLE HOUSE sign in the distance just south of Spartanburg. I had gone 370 miles with only a 4 minute stop!!! Had a good meal, gassed up, cleaned the bugs off and back on the road feeling much better. Coming into Asheville almost ran over by a "Young" bus. He came right over on me. But, I'm almost home now, only 80 miles to go and it's after midnight. I-26 over the mountain toward Johnson City is dark this time of night...real dark. But, the Wee has terrific headlights, thank God. I hit the 1000 mile mark right at the top of the mtn. Down to the bottom, onto TN 81 at Erwin, TN, then dodging possums and racoons right into Jonesborough for the final fill-up. Grabbed reciept and headed the final 2 miles home. I had done it!!!
Bike odometer.....1066 miles
GPS odometer.....1038 miles
Total Time ........19:32
Moving Time.......15:11
Will be mailing in paperwork tomorrow!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts