StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out on an IBA ride soon. Ventura County California to Vegas, down to Phoenix Arizona and back...1056 miles in 24 hours. Wondering if anyone can tell me about highway 93 from Vegas to Phoenix. Please advise. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Watch for speed traps, fast yellow to red lights and other revenue generating places.

Bullhead city is a bad one...

For the rest of it, just keep your eyes open, there is lots of construction going on and it is easy to miss exits.

Have a great time on the trip, I am almost jealous...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm posting this info for anyone who may access it in the future. Recently in Arizona, (mostly in Phoenix but also in the middle of nowhere on I-10 and I-17), the Dept of Public Safety has installed photo radar roadsided. LOTS of them. The cameras and locations are clearly marked, but that hasn't prevented a bazillion people from receiving tickets in the mail. There has been great debate on whether motorcyclists (at least those wearing full face helmets) receive these tickets (since the driver can't be identified). Nonetheless, be advised.

AGirl

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can you give a bit more detail on how they are marked???? Used to do a lot of traveling between So. Cal. and Phx. Not so much anymore but am wondering. Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can you give a bit more detail on how they are marked???? Used to do a lot of traveling between So. Cal. and Phx. Not so much anymore but am wondering. Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was on the road. :)

The Photo Radar points are clearly marked as you approach the "zones".... (a passenger of mine took these recently):

..and then you will see them on both sides of the road:

Regarding the cameras, if someone is thinking "Just don't speed!", perhaps you might want to consider that your safety regarding these speed cameras IMHO has very little to do with speeding and a *LOT* to do with the vehicles in front of you. I personally find these "zones" to be dangerous as many drivers slam on their brakes when they see the cameras REGARDLESS of whether they are speeding. Imagine you are going along doing the speed limit (or less) and the car in front of you jumps on the brakes (distracted driver who all of a sudden sees the cameras in front of them). I've learned to leave extra space b/w me and the vehicle in front of me in these zones.

AGirl

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Regarding the cameras, if someone is thinking "Just don't speed!", perhaps you might want to consider that your safety regarding these speed cameras IMHO has very little to do with speeding and a *LOT* to do with the vehicles in front of you. I personally find these "zones" to be dangerous as many drivers slam on their brakes when they see the cameras REGARDLESS of whether they are speeding. Imagine you are going along doing the speed limit (or less) and the car in front of you jumps on the brakes (distracted driver who all of a sudden sees the cameras in front of them). I've learned to leave extra space b/w me and the vehicle in front of me in these zones.

AGirl
i hear they're not always on and have to alert the public when they are. True???

·
Registered
90 Posts
i hear they're not always on and have to alert the public when they are. True???
Hmm, I've not heard of this and it certainly isn't my experience. I'd be willing to bet that it's a false rumor.... ya know, if the cameras are off then opportunities are being missed to MAKE MORE MONEY!

AGirl

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Hmm, I've not heard of this and it certainly isn't my experience. I'd be willing to bet that it's a false rumor.... ya know, if the cameras are off then opportunities are being missed to MAKE MORE MONEY!

AGirl
well, i read it more than HEARD it. i was in Phoenix back in October (cousin's wedding after she'd been married a year already) and went for a ride (to tortia flats) with my only friend (he rides a Dyna lowrider). from my aunt's place to my friend's place i did like 90mph the whole way (early Sunday morning). headed out from my friend's and he goes, "I'm going to be putting. They got speed cameras all over the place." DOH!!!

·
Registered
21,984 Posts
There has been great debate on whether motorcyclists (at least those wearing full face helmets) receive these tickets (since the driver can't be identified). Nonetheless, be advised.

AGirl
unless they have 2 cameras, one front and one back how would they get a plate and a face in the same pic, maybe that's how they do it, I dunno

my scottoiler and an occasional dusty road keep my plte obscured

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
well, i read it more than HEARD it. i was in Phoenix back in October (cousin's wedding after she'd been married a year already) and went for a ride (to tortia flats) with my only friend (he rides a Dyna lowrider). from my aunt's place to my friend's place i did like 90mph the whole way (early Sunday morning). headed out from my friend's and he goes, "I'm going to be putting. They got speed cameras all over the place." DOH!!!
They are on all the time back in october they were just getting them up and operating in several areas. They allow you ten over posted BUT do not tempt fate in a construction zone. :Chevy_anim:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
unless they have 2 cameras, one front and one back how would they get a plate and a face in the same pic, maybe that's how they do it, I dunno

my scottoiler and an occasional dusty road keep my plte obscured
Yes they are front and back,and are so good that not only could you identify my friend in his car but his dog as well and at night. He received 4 tickets in a little over eight miles. :confused:
As for your plate if the police here see you with a dirty plate they will stop you and give you advise if you are nice, get pissy they will ticket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts