StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Iron Butt Ride on Nov 18th - 1038 miles completed

My two riding buddies and I are going to make an Iron Butt ride Nov 18th as a goodbye gift to one of the riders who is moving away to live in the clay on some Caribbean Island where there is no need for cars or bikes. Ya Maan!!!

We are trying to plan out a route that will not bore us to death (ie; I-75 to I-95 to I-4 to I-75)and yet be able to hit 1,000 miles in 19 hours or so.

One consideration:

Tampa to Key West (little fun covering bridges) to Daytona to Tampa

Tampa to Pensacola to Jax to Tampa (boring though)

What are your thoughts for a route???

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fatalerror said:
If you are coming past Port Charlotte on the way to Key West pick me up! :D

Did I mention that we are leaving Tampa at 2:00AM...That would put us at Port Charlotte around 3:30 AM or so.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
If you are up in the Daytona area on your ride, give me a shout and I'll ride with you. See you at the m&g on the 4th.
FWIW, it will be hard to hit 1000 in 19 hours unless you superslab it for some distance. I did 1100 last year on a trip to Illinois and I did slab and it took me 19 hours to do that. My $.02 worth. Enjoy the ride and above all be safe.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tom,

I might be interested. I've been toying with this idea for some time. Here are two routes I laid out a while back;

http://cycle.frogfruit.com/main.php?g2_itemId=172

One goes to Key West, the other doesn't. From people I've talked to who've done this ride suggest avoiding Key West due to the possible traffic problems, but I think it'd be a blast and make the ride a lot more interesting. If you should quit the SS1000, what better place to be than Key West?

Another thing to think about is time and locations. For example, avoid riding in deer areas at night, big cities during rush hour, etc. If you haven't already, check out www.ironbutt.com for some good advice.

An interstate route may be boring, but you'll make better time. I just did a 600 miles, 15 hour ride, all on back roads. At that rate I'd been hard pressed to finish a SS1000 in 24 hours.

Also think about combining a SaddleSore 1000 and Bun Burner 1500 in the same ride. After completing the SS1000, sleep 6 hours and ride 500 miles to finish the BB1500. If you're too trashed from the SS1000, forget the BB1500 and go back to sleep. :lol:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife and I wanted Key West to be a destination as it would give you something to look forward to. What could be better than 123 miles of bridges at sunrise on my first Iron Butt Ride. Fully aware of the slower speeds and potential traffic congestion that could throw us off course we still want to do it.

Here is the route that we are looking at.

Driving Time: 17:46
Total Time with Breaks: 19:46
Total Miles: 1,005 via Microsoft Streets and Maps

2:00 AM Exit 52 San Antonio
5:00 AM Naples - Turning onto Aligator Alley
6:20 AM I-75 turning south toward the keys
8:00 AM Key Largo
10:40 AM Key West -
11:00 AM Southern Most Point Photo OP
2:40 PM Miami
5:50 PM Palm Bay area
7:15 PM Daytona I-4 & I-95
8:20 PM Orlando jumpin on 50
9:45 PM 50 to I-75 to exit 52

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tom,

Without being able to see your detailed route I'd suggest you make the distance a little longer (say 1050 miles) to avoid any problems when ironbutt.com confirms your ride (assuming you care). As you know you need to document the "corners" of the route (gas receipts, etc). If you're not careful you could screw yourself by not having a few extra miles to play with. Let me make an exaggerated example.

You plan a route from Zephyrhills to Ellenton (south of Tampa off I-75). Quickest route based on MS Streets & Trips is 61.1 miles via I-75. If however you took I-275 it would be 82.1 miles. Without a receipt from St. Pete, you'd be short 20 miles at the end of the day. As I said this is an exaggeration, but over 1000 miles, 5 miles is cutting it a bit close. You don't have any input, other than your receipts, as to how you mileage will be verified.

Keep me in the loop.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
We are trying to plan out a route that will not bore us to death (ie; I-75 to I-95 to I-4 to I-75)and yet be able to hit 1,000 miles in 19 hours or so.

What are your thoughts for a route???
May I suggest you have an IBA'er look over your route before you set sail and that you review the 25 tips on the IBA web site. You wouldn't want a "minor" detail to DQ your efforts.

Best wishes on your journey.

Stromette

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Subagon (Mike)....Thanks for the advise. The route will get massaged to include a few extra miles just to stay on the safe side. See you on Saturday.

Stromette....Thanks for the input. Yes...been reading the 25 tips for awhile as I have talking about doing this run for years. Actually started planning this run in the late 1990's when I lived in California. Always wanted to run the bridges to Key West before I died.

When I ran my route by a handful of IBA riders who ride in the Concours Owners Group with me they thought we were nuts to go to Key West for a SS1000. High risk (unpredictable traffic/accidents) and a big time-bandit with the slower speeds. Heck....We have 4 hrs and 15 minutes to play with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well....We did it....1038 miles in 20 1/2 hours. We were 2 hours longer than planned but the added stops and longer breaks were the ticket to a comfortable ride.

I rode 2-up with my wife on the back of my 650 along with a buddy on a Concours. We left Wesley Chapel at 2:00 AM and hit bitter cold tempatures soon as we left. It was so cold by the time we hit Gainesville we could hardly stand it. Mid 30 degrees with a wind chill from going 74mph went right through our clothing and gloves. We all agreed this was the coldest we had ever been in our lives.

There were times when I couldn't feel my fingers and would try to pull my hand over the grips only to have my thumb get caught on the grip but I couldn't feel it. Good thing no traffic in front of us.

Because of the Nascar event in Homestead we abandoned our Key West idea and elected to run to Columbia, SC via Macon, GA and then Hwy 129 to I-20. With a stop in Savannah, GA at the Pirate's House for a late lunch.

Lots of great memories....Here are a couple of pictures.

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2938263380083390360LENnDq][/URL]

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2882276320083390360AsTYOO][/URL]

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2811997860083390360qsJDyu][/URL]

Just a note: Prior to the ride....I thought the 1000 miles in one day was going to kill me....But...It wasn't near as bad as I thought. Monkey Butt didn't settle in until mile 835 and then went away by mile 900. When we got home from the start/finish line it was 1062 miles and we were happy to just go to bed.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Well....We did it....1038 miles in 20 1/2 hours.

It was so cold by the time we hit Gainesville we could hardly stand it. Mid 30 degrees with a wind chill from going 74mph went right through our clothing and gloves. We all agreed this was the coldest we had ever been in our lives.
Congrats on the successful run! I think there're a few of these in my future...

....and you really need to watch out for hypothermia because it makes you dumber than dirt. Anyone who rides up north will tell you to wear everything you can manage, breaking the wind is necessary, rain gear helps a lot, and even newspapers stuffed in your jacket and shirt will help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats on the successful run! I think there're a few of these in my future...

....and you really need to watch out for hypothermia because it makes you dumber than dirt. Anyone who rides up north will tell you to wear everything you can manage, breaking the wind is necessary, rain gear helps a lot, and even newspapers stuffed in your jacket and shirt will help.
Thanks for the future tips. Couldn't tell if my body was cold because my fingers and toes hurt so bad...everything else was a blurr.

Occassionally I would drift in my lane...My wife would ask me if I was sleepy. No....just blacking out for a second every once and a while....nothing to worry about. :D

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Not to worry, Tom. A real time saver would be to jump on US 41 this weekend at Sarasota and go to Naples. That 100 miles would be 24 hours now that the geezers and Winnebagos are lined up.

Congrats on the latest trip, though.

Rod
05 Red Wee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not to worry, Tom. A real time saver would be to jump on US 41 this weekend at Sarasota and go to Naples. That 100 miles would be 24 hours now that the geezers and Winnebagos are lined up.

Congrats on the latest trip, though.

Rod
05 Red Wee
Riverview, FL
I thought the Snowbirds waited until after Thanksgiving to hightail it to Florida. I was recently educated that it's not about Thanksgiving with the family....They book out of there once they have voted.:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Tom, congrats on the ride. Cold can be really a killer if you are not ready for it. Good write up and report. Another Strommer wants to do a 1000 in 24 hours with me sometime in the near future. Again, congrats on the ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts