StromTrooper banner

Iron Butt 1000 mile ride

4263 Views 17 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  ironbutt
Hi Stromtroopers,

Yesterday morning i set out to qualify for the Iron Butt ass. Saddle sore 1000 mile ride. i left seacoast New Hampshire at 1am and arrived at Niagra Falls, NY at 10:45am. i took an out and back route. i hit some good rain fall on the way back, good thing for rain gear. the trip took me 20 hour.

i have a 2011 wee-strom, the bike ran flawless. we (the wee and i) plan to do the butt burner 1500 soon. i love long distance motorcycling.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
That's quite the ride! 20 hours............ I'm considering doing it too but I wish you wouldn't have added that 20 hour part. Good for you.. Let us know how the 1500 mile trip goes.

I do have a question, since the 1K took 20 hours I'm assuming the 1500 mile trip will take 30 hours. I thought that this all had to be done in one day. Am I wrong and if so, what's the rules?

· Registered
12,482 Posts
i hit some good rain fall
I was thinkin of you when the rain started, hope you kept the documentation from getting too soggy

congrats

I do have a question, since the 1K took 20 hours I'm assuming the 1500 mile trip will take 30 hours. I thought that this all had to be done in one day. Am I wrong and if so, what's the rules?
Saddlesore 1000 = 1000+ miles <24hrs
Bunburner 1500 = 1500+ miles <36hrs
BunBurner Gold = 1500+ miles <24hrs
50cc = Coast to Coast <50hrs
Saddledore 2000 = 2 consecutive SS1k's, etc.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i stopped for an hour for lunch and about every 150 miles for fuel. in all reality, my tank will last over 280 miles. so when i do the 1500, i'll totally take that into consideration. you know, being my first long distance trip, l learned a lot and had fun doing it. not to mention, i hit rain in Albany, NY all the way to seacoast, NH.

· Registered
12,482 Posts
that's not too bad only a couple hundred miles in rain

my next IB goal is a 50cc, as much as I wanna do it this fall, I don't think its gonna happen, I figure I need 8-10 days, ride to Jax to begin the 50cc, finish in SD then ride back, while I'm out there, spend one day at coronado trail in AZ, total trip, 8500mi ±

· Registered
557 Posts
Congratulations on a safe trip! Never done any iron butt rides, but some day I may give it a whirl. I like side roads, really, but there is something to be said for being so far away so quickly. I have always liked driving long distances in the cage.

Good luck on the bunburner.:thumbup:

· Registered
2,537 Posts
well i stopped for an hour for lunch and about every 150 miles for fuel. in all reality, my tank will last over 280 miles. so when i do the 1500, i'll totally take that into consideration. you know, being my first long distance trip, l learned a lot and had fun doing it. not to mention, i hit rain in Albany, NY all the way to seacoast, NH.
I salute you for an epic effort!

Could you share some more tips? Food? Did you practice for it?

· Registered
818 Posts
Congrats! But a warning - they can be strangely addictive. I have ten of our equivalents under my belt and I'm pretty sure I'll have 11 by the end of the year.

Ride safe!

· Vendor
4,995 Posts
Hi Stromtroopers,

Yesterday morning i set out to qualify for the Iron Butt ass. Saddle sore 1000 mile ride. i left seacoast New Hampshire at 1am and arrived at Niagra Falls, NY at 10:45am. i took an out and back route. i hit some good rain fall on the way back, good thing for rain gear. the trip took me 20 hour.

i have a 2011 wee-strom, the bike ran flawless. we (the wee and i) plan to do the butt burner 1500 soon. i love long distance motorcycling.
:hurray: Good work and congratulations on the SS1000 Completion, When I did my first one it seemed like such an incredible distance, and it is a challenge, but as you can see from your completion, Totally doable,

Keep up the good riding, what a super way to see the country,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

· Registered
47 Posts
ss1000

Congrats you should be able to do the 1500 easily enough. Assuming you could ride all 1500 miles without getting off the bike your average speed would only need to be 41.66 mph were as if you can average 70 miles an hour it would only take just 21.42 hours leaving you almost 15 hours those 15 hours can be used for breaks, rest, and fuel. If you plan your route and your stops so that you can accomplish all 3 or at least fuel and breaks(snacking and potty) and take a 3 hour siesta it is easily done in 32 hours leaving you 3 hours for unforeseen issues. The Iron Butt association will not see any unsafe actions in this that could get you a DQ. I love doing these things they are definitly addictive. I did my first SS1000 on a Harley Lowrider in 17 hours and 21 minutes at a average speed of only 58 mph. Now I do them on my Goldwing kinda feel like I am cheating :) I found doing time and distance calcs helped pass the time and distance on that first one. Good luck on your next venture.

· Registered
818 Posts
Crazy, you say?

I did a combined SS1000 and BB1500 on this (2006 KLX250S) last year :

Ron :mrgreen:
We had a guy over here do a Grand Challenge (same as SS1000 I guess) on an RG50. The same guy and bike have also done a Southern Cross which is slightly easier (5 days to go to the extreme compass points of the country). Also had scooters on both events.

· Registered
36 Posts
Congrats Dude, I did a SS1000 in 2009 from Northern NJ to Orlando, FLA. My buddy and I did it in 17 1/2 hours total, 15 1/2 hours ride time in the saddle. I did that one on my Yamaha Royal Star Venture.

Last year almost did another one (968) from NJ to St. Louis, Mo. on my VStrom 1000. Did that one in about 17 hours also, but didn't want to do all the logging and receipts.

Maybe will try another this year :) Love the long rides.

· Vendor
4,995 Posts
Crazy, you say?

I did a combined SS1000 and BB1500 on this (2006 KLX250S) last year :

Ron :mrgreen:

:hurray: That is impressive. With the seat on the KLX250s the phrase Saddle Sore must have been appropriate,

1000 Kudos to you for the ride, Great Work,

Blair

· Registered
7 Posts
:hurray: Good work and congratulations on the SS1000 Completion, When I did my first one it seemed like such an incredible distance, and it is a challenge, but as you can see from your completion, Totally doable,

Keep up the good riding, what a super way to see the country,

Blair
I'm just happy Blair keeps me stocked with chains and sprockets for my Wee and V!

Congratulations to all the insanity that the Stroms make possible!

Mike
IBA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.