StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel kind of embarrassed saying this as I've lived in SE Michigan for the majority of my life...but I'm not familiar with absolutely any of the Irish Hills area, and I keep hearing how great of an area it is to ride. ;) Does anyone happen to know some good stretches of road or have a route with some fun twisties? I'm looking to explore the area a bit this weekend after installing some new farkles (namely my zumo 660; hence the route question heh). Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
US 12 is the key, go north or south off the road. Between Coldwater and Brooklyn. Explore, too many roads to list, it will be great with a GPS, set a town you want to go to and go the shortest route. You will see some great country.
Kyle

·
Registered
87 Posts
KAP is right, too many good roads to mention. I live just south of Ann Arbor and ride the Irish Hills area often. PM me if you'd like a guided tour. Manchester, Chelsea, Waterloo Stockbridge, Hell are full of good roads.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
US 12 is the key, go north or south off the road. Between Coldwater and Brooklyn. Explore, too many roads to list, it will be great with a GPS, set a town you want to go to and go the shortest route. You will see some great country.
Kyle
Thanks for the hints on where to explore. I'm looking forward to finally getting out there. Likely won't happen this weekend now though :(

KAP is right, too many good roads to mention. I live just south of Ann Arbor and ride the Irish Hills area often. PM me if you'd like a guided tour. Manchester, Chelsea, Waterloo Stockbridge, Hell are full of good roads.
That would be wonderful, just dont know when I could now. Due to some unforseen events, the time I blocked out to ride over the holiday will now be spent helping a friend move.

Ah well..I'll get out there for certain eventually.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone happen to know some good stretches of road or have a route [in the Irish Hills] with some fun twisties?
My favorite section of US 12 is the 5 or 6 miles between Tipton Highway and M 50. Not really any twisties, but a series of high speed sweepers. With the start of the summer season, there is usually too much traffic to safely do any spirited riding there, but there are still the lakes, hills, and roadside attractions to see. At the speed limit, you barely have to lean the bike over, and you often get stuck going slower than that in a convoy behind a truck, RV, or pack of black & chrome bikes.

US 12, M 50, and M 52 form a short loop if you don't have a lot of time to spend. M 52 and the eastern parts of M 50 and US 12 are straight, but with some hills. If you want to relax with a slow putt through the woods, Hidden Lake Gardens off of M 50 has an old one lane road that winds around for a few miles through their gardens and forested hills. They also have indoor tropical gardens if you want to warm up on a chilly day, and walking trails if you want to stretch your legs. It costs $3 for entry to the grounds.

I live near Manchester and know some other roads in the area with curves and less traffic, and some good gravel roads too. Maybe we could get 2 to 4 bikes together for an afternoon of riding and farkle tips.

·
Registered
981 Posts
That sounds like a tempting trip, although I would be coming in from the west. In my immediate area, the options are somewhat limited (or more accurately, quickly getting exhausted), but a trip east on 12 would make for an interesting trip. Keep me posted if we might be able to get a group together sometime.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe we could get 2 to 4 bikes together for an afternoon of riding and farkle tips.
Keep me posted if we might be able to get a group together sometime.
I'd certainly be interested in a getting together with a few folks. Hmm..think we should start a new thread and see about setting up a SE Michigan strom gathering or something along those lines?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I live near Manchester and know some other roads in the area with curves and less traffic, and some good gravel roads too. Maybe we could get 2 to 4 bikes together for an afternoon of riding and farkle tips.
My sister in law has a cottage at Sweezy Lake,I head up that way often.In the fall,Sept 20th to be exact,is the All Clubs Day in Stockbridge.Lots of great roads up there.I'm ready to ride whenever.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cool I figured on letting you know,she (Suzi) just had a ride around the area(maps provided) and free Dounts,coffee,hot dogs and pop,said it was the "first annual"spring ride.I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Feel kind of embarrassed saying this as I've lived in SE Michigan for the majority of my life...but I'm not familiar with absolutely any of the Irish Hills area, and I keep hearing how great of an area it is to ride. ;) Does anyone happen to know some good stretches of road or have a route with some fun twisties? I'm looking to explore the area a bit this weekend after installing some new farkles (namely my zumo 660; hence the route question heh). Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D
I'm excited now. I'm coming that way and will going through that area on 2 July. I'm staying in Heartland (US 23/ M59) so I'll be close to come back once or twice......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well..as there seems to be many strom'ers interested now; are there any particular dates that work well for folks?

·
Registered
58 Posts
How about next weekend June 6th? Weather.com has 75 and sunny for then - of course I wouldn't put much weight on a forecast eight days out.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Tomorrow wouldn't work for me, but the 6th might, if the weather holds true. I would need to know where our starting point would be, keeping in mind I am coming in from the west side of the state.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to be out of town from the 4th to the 6th, but am available pretty much any other time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
June 13th then? Since FieroDude is coming from I-94, there's a gas station on the south side of Mt. Hope Rd (exit 150) that I stop at from time to time. It's at the southern edge of my favorite roads.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
June 13th then? Since FieroDude is coming from I-94, there's a gas station on the south side of Mt. Hope Rd (exit 150) that I stop at from time to time. It's at the southern edge of my favorite roads.
Works for me. That's the gas station I always hit when I head out to Chicago.

·
Registered
981 Posts
June 13th sounds good here - haven't seen a long range forecast (and wouldn't trust it anyway, this being Michigan), but the odds will continue to improve for good weather, I am sure!

I'll make a note of the gas station/exit - I get on 94 at exit 41, so that wouldn't be too bad. Anybody know of any major construction headaches between Kalamazoo and there?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts