StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the fuel tank and radiator removed for maintenance (valves) and decided to check the spark-plugs while i have access to them.

Suzuki, in owner's manual, recommend to replace them at 12,000km. I think it's a mistake and they forgot to update this when they switched from regular spark-plug to iridiums. On my car i changed them to 175,000 km, so i figured that on the bike they should be good to half of this considering the motor RPM on the bike is twice.

I have now 46,000 km and think i could have let them another year, (25,000 more km) but i changed them now because i'm not sure that next year i will remove the tank and check the valves, because the gap seem stabilized now. Only 2 valves were different from last year (at 24,000 km) and the changes were only 0,001".

So for those who wonder what they look like at 46,000km (near 30,000m) i took photo of it, with a new one.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
...So for those who wonder what they look like at 46,000km (near 30,000m) I took photo of it, with a new one.
Interesting. Thanks.

Other than color I see no difference.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There is a little metal worn off the ground electrode but that won't really affect performance. I'm probably going to be too old to ride before mine need replacement.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good to know. I've been looking to see if I need to replace my plugs since I'm searching to why my gas mileage has dropped drastically.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
You've probably checked the usual suspects but I had some quite stiff front wheel bearings that were causing my gas mileage to drop. Once I changed those it was back to normal. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You've probably checked the usual suspects but I had some quite stiff front wheel bearings that were causing my gas mileage to drop. Once I changed those it was back to normal. Might be worth a look.
Interesting. Can you tell at what mileage you changed the bearings?

·
Registered
142 Posts
This was on my Versys and I'm guessing those bearings had about 20k miles on them (I don't keep great records and I changed the front bearings a couple of times over the time I owned the bike). I think of bearings as consumables: silty water crossings and the pounding they take from rough roads can wear them out quicker than you would think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts