Strom Trooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since you guys are recommending the installation of Iridium spark plugs as a fix for the stumble in the FI system at 2800 rpm, maybe you should just bite the bullet and install them on your DL1000s before they go out the door. I was hating Suzuki as I learned I had paid $10k for a bike with inherent FI problems, and which could be potentially dangerous. Now that the bike is running much better with these plugs, I'm liking the bike much better, but am not very confident that American Suzuki Motor Corporation has my, or any of their other customer's best interests in the corporations business model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
i THINK MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE PASSING YOUR FEELINGS ALONG TO SUZUKI ,ONLY WITH ENOUGH CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS WILL ANYTHING EVER BE DONE ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,361 Posts
I saw no difference in the lean stumble with iridium plugs. NONE. I put them in so I could extend the painful spark plug replacement schedule.

Remapping the EFI tables in the computer did fix the lean spot.

Good luck on your letter to Suzuki. Add clutch chudder to the list also.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
its all in the way you ride. one must keep the rpm's up. if that means holding in a lower gear for longer time, so be it. it took me a while to get used to riding that way but, once i did, the problem went away.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
434 Posts
Iridium plugs are not the fix for the DL 1000 stumble?
And they will not make the bike go 200 MPH and get 80 miles per gallon...
Some one is just blowing smoke...
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,361 Posts
its all in the way you ride. one must keep the rpm's up. if that means holding in a lower gear for longer time, so be it. it took me a while to get used to riding that way but, once i did, the problem went away.
No sir, your problem did not go away. That is like saying...my back brakes squeak, so I only use the front ones and my problem went away. You are just riding outside the lean area. If you like riding it that way....cool.

I am not picking on you but giving others with the stumble an alternative to "just living with it". I had a hard head on the remapping also and lived with my Vee for a year by the same method you are. Trust me, a remap will get rid of this vile problem and you can then ride the bike down to idle rpms without the stumble. The top end rpms of the Vee have always been fine.

Your choice, but the bike can and will run much better without the lean mapping.

I had mine remapped at a shop with a dyno. Besides the stumble fix, I picked up some free horsepower across the entire rpm spread. The free HP did cost me a little MPG, a fair trade to me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
The top end rpms of the Vee have always been fine. Your choice, but the bike can and will run much better without the lean mapping.
i had yosi box fix on my DL1 for 83k and it worked ok for me. but now, i know how to keep the rpm's up and i dont need the yosi box fix. :beatnik: i went back to pure stock ECU and got extra 5-7 mpg. :yesnod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,361 Posts
i had yosi box fix on my DL1 for 83k and it worked ok for me. but now, i know how to keep the rpm's up and i dont need the yosi box fix. :beatnik: i went back to pure stock ECU and got extra 5-7 mpg. :yesnod:
I would submit it is easier to ride at high RPM than low. A bike balances easier the faster you go. I lost 2 to 3 mpg...maybe with the yosh map.

But now, I can run in city traffic at stop and go speeds without clutching so much. At 3000 rpm in first you are rolling pretty good. Also, when riding gravel roads and light trails, having no ability to run low rpms in first is a PIA. On the open road, the remap doesn't do squat as you are above 4000 rpm anyway.

Like I said, riding above 3000 rpm puts you out of the lean spot. I would likely trade my bike for a wee if I had to go back to stock mapping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,434 Posts
Mine us REALLY bad from 2500-3000 rpm's,above that it's fine.Since I regeared mine 30,000 miles ago I rarely ride in that bad rpm range.But when I do it will nearly buck me off the seat !!.


Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
They have never admitted there is a problem with the clutches yet so I think you guys are living in dreamworld..just replaced my clutch ...the TRE fixed 90% of the low rev splutter dramas with my bike ..will install some iridium plugs ..hope it fixes the other 10% eh ? lol !
:thumbup:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top