StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I recently started using my iPhone in conjunction with my Nuvi 2595. The Nuvi gives me a visual reference, but the bluetooth won't connect with my Sena. I installed Google Maps on my phone, which allows me to map my routes in 10-point legs and get audible turn by turn directions. I map the routes on my computer and e-mail myself the links. I always try to end a leg at a gas stop, then select the next leg before I get on the road again. It's worked pretty well so far. Google Maps also gives the option to download portions of a map and get turn by turn directions even if you don't have a signal. Haven't had the opportunity to use that feature, yet.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Yes - for few years now. Works the charm.

Assuming you want off network navigating you have a number of choices from TomTom, Co-Pilot, Garman and others.

Top of Beartooth on our 3 week crosscountry last year.

The X mounts are reliable. Ziplock for waterproofing.

I use a Mophie battery case....which pretty much doubles the battery life or more and adds some protection. For extensive use you will need a power out to the phone or use a much larger Antigravity pack in your tank bag to power it. ( the Antigravity does a whole lot more as well so well worth having with you )
GPS + full bright sucks a lot of power. You also want the cooling the X-mount provides...the phones can run very hot if enclosed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes - for few years now. Works the charm.

Assuming you want off network navigating you have a number of choices from TomTom, Co-Pilot, Garman and others.

Top of Beartooth on our 3 week crosscountry last year.

The X mounts are reliable. Ziplock for waterproofing.

I use a Mophie battery case....which pretty much doubles the battery life or more and adds some protection. For extensive use you will need a power out to the phone or use a much larger Antigravity pack in your tank bag to power it. ( the Antigravity does a whole lot more as well so well worth having with you )
GPS + full bright sucks a lot of power. You also want the cooling the X-mount provides...the phones can run very hot if enclosed.
I agree 100% The RAM X-MOUNT or X-GRIP is what i use. Do not put your phone in a tank bag cause it will get very hot!!! This happened to my friend. I use Google maps plan my route then send it to my phone and also print out a copy as a back up. My iPhone 6 is linked to my Sena 10s so i get turn by turn instructions without having to take my eyes of the road. If it rains just put a baggie over it and your good. What i also like is i can still listen to my music and google cuts in when i need to turn then goes back to music plus answer the phone if i want. I don't work for Sena but love their Products. :grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
251 Posts
That's the part that intimidates me - but it sounds like a great solution. I suppose I should try it before I give up. Thanks for the encouragement.

It's easy. No reason to be intimidated. Map the route, use TinyURL to make the a manageable length, then email it to yourself. Open the link and click yes when it asks "open in app?" Boom, you're ready to navigate. Just don't put your route points too far apart. The app tends to reroute to the shortest path given the opportunity.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
GoogleMaps is not reliable outside network coverage.

You need TomTom or Co-Pilot or Garmin other app that does not need a network connection.

Master Furkot for planning.

https://trips.furkot.com/ui

or BaseCamp ... BaseCamp? | Garmin | Canada

There is much more ...... I'd start with TomTom or CoPilot

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I use my iPhone exclusively now. Just make sure which ever brand you use has "real" GPS built in. For iPhone that would be the 5 or newer. For me I use TomTom even though it's not free ($49?). The interface is excellent and identical to their stand alone units. I have a couple of additional apps like Apple Maps (of course) SpotWalla and Best Biking Roads. The BBR has a nice feature "Roads Near Me" so if you find yourself with some extra time or no plans it can cough up good ride routes from local bikers. 13010 Motorcycle Rides and Motorcycle Roads
I leave mine plugged in. Slightly off topic: I bought a iRadar and run it through the phone. About $200 Lots of features like speed trap areas, etc. Everything connects to my Sena. (the order in which you setup the bluetooth connections determines which device overrides the sound in case of a conflict)

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
For iPhone that would be the 5 or newer.
Not true ...iPhone 4 or 4s was fine ....what we used initially until I caved for a cheap used i5 phone which is better but runs hotter.

The iPhone 3 had GPS but was very dodgy....4 was slow ....4s was fine.

iPhone 4/4s is fine for navigating as I did for a while.

·
Super Moderator
16,229 Posts
A Droid with an SD card is a better choice, an iPhone is not ideal at all IMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
You really think you are going to switch an iPhone user who already has his phone?? Good luck with that. >:)

·
Super Moderator
16,229 Posts
You really think you are going to switch an iPhone user who already has his phone?? Good luck with that. >:)
I too am an iphone user, but that is why I bought a $40 Droid on ebay with a 16G external SD card installed to just do navigation.

No way I would use my main phone for navigation, too expensive were something to happen. Iphones are also notorious for overheating, and unless you have no apps or music installed, the on board storage can get filled up quick with map files and the GPS programs and their associated maps. Sounds like it works out well for you and was a good solution, that is all that matters. :fineprint:

·
Registered
155 Posts
As i said in my original post "Do not put your phone in a tank bag cause it will get very hot!!!" Yes i do have a GARMIN 2597 which is also bluetooth but i figured i have to take the iPhone with me any way so why bring another device? Never had an over heat problem while it was mounted in the X-GRIP plenty of air to keep it cool. I have a USB port to keep it charged. also a mophie juice box.

·
Registered
315 Posts
We just used Google Maps with offline maps in airplane mode all over Ireland and Scotland, it worked remarkably well for street navigating. I can't comment for off-road. I use an iPhone with MotionX GPS for off-road navigation because I already had the iPhone.

Unless you are sold on iPhones or already have an iPhone, you can have a LOT more space available on an Android with memory cards. Maps take up a LOT of space.

Furkot is awesome, but give yourself time to learn it.

Or throw a stick in the air and ride in the direction it points :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Not true ...iPhone 4 or 4s was fine ....what we used initially until I caved for a cheap used i5 phone which is better but runs hotter.

The iPhone 3 had GPS but was very dodgy....4 was slow ....4s was fine.

iPhone 4/4s is fine for navigating as I did for a while.
Not sure I want to argue the point with a rider named Mac Doc ... :wink2: But my 4s had GPS Assisted (cell tower has gps signal). Once I was out of cell range I had to use my Dual GPS receiver and its iPhone app to continue getting fresh data. - I notice in your photo that phone is connected to a 3G signal. We do agree that the 5 is better and if you are in Europe or North Africa the 5 will switch over to the Russian GPS system. Cheers

·
Registered
318 Posts
My personal experience is iPhone apps are ok for simple navigation needs, but none have the semi advanced features I want for proper touring.

My preference is the vintage Streetpilot 2720 ($50 on ebay), newer Zumo's are decent too, just too expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
We your experience is dated ....GPS is GPS .....your overpriced standalone is nothing but a small computer with a screen running the same software available as an App. All of these do not need a network connection to operate.....

MotionX® | MotionX-GPS Overview

Or if Garmin is of interest

Garmin’s Viago GPS App Has Powerful Features—Especially if You Pay Extra

By WILSON ROTHMAN
Jun 17, 2014 7:00 am ET
0 COMMENTS

Garmin’s new Viago app, shown here with topographical maps, lane guidance and 3-D turn-by-turn navigation. GARMIN
Garmin, the once-mighty GPS powerhouse, just launched Víago, the latest attempt to win back its former hardware customers. And it may well be Garmin’s most compelling software offering yet.

When it comes to GPS navigation, Google has most of us spoiled. We get free turn-by-turn navigation anywhere in the world, right on our phones. And when another company dares to give us free turn-by-turn navigation that isn’t as good (yes, that’d be Apple), everybody reaches for the pitchforks and torches. It’s easy to forget a time not long ago when paying $200 for a Garmin or TomTom seemed like a reasonable way to get in-car GPS.

Well, Garmin hasn’t forgotten. Think of Víago—which arrives today for both iOS and Android—as a highly customizable GPS system on your phone.
Garmin?s Viago GPS App Has Powerful Features?Especially if You Pay Extra - Personal Tech News - WSJ

that was two years ago

Navigon

Navigon
Navigon is a full and complete navigation system / GPS system for iPhone. It comes with tons of extra features to make your trip even more easier. Navigon includes 2D and 3D maps, day and night mode, smart intelligent address searching, routes planning and road signs as well. This app has all the features needed for a perfect navigation app in USA. It comes at a price. So it is not for those who are looking for a free navigation app / GPS app, but rather for those who are looking for a professional navigation app / GPS app.
Sygic

If you’re a Pakistani or any other country in which the internet is now easy to avail everywhere. You probably need a navigation app / GPS app that works offline too. This app actually uses the TOMTOM GPS map to allow you the instructions around. And helps you choose the finest route around. In Sygic there are a lot of cool features included like the 3D option, voice navigation, speed limit warnings etc. Yes the TOMTOM app is still available but as this “SYGIC” is free to use and download it makes it to reach in the list.
And there are thousands of GPX routes that can be downloaded then put into a phone GPS program.

Apps like https://trips.furkot.com/ui provide a Rosetta Stone between various formats - importing and exporting.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Haven't read the entire thread... But I don't use my Samsung phone as a GPS because I can't see the screen in full sunlight... Navigation is awesome but if you can't see the screen, what good is it?... I have a Garmin Montana 600.... the screen is awesome and daylight readable....

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Then that's a problem with your phone
But you can buy a sunshade for it

...on top of which voice nav works fine . There is nothing magical about a standalone GPS - they draw from the same LCD panels that phones do. It's a manufacturer choice what panel to use.

Worst case my RAM mount is slightly loose to re-angle the phone if needed. We were full sun all day on a 700 km ride with no issue.
And I certainly don't have the brightest iPhone.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Then that's a problem with your phone
But you can buy a sunshade for it

...on top of which voice nav works fine . There is nothing magical about a standalone GPS - they draw from the same LCD panels that phones do. It's a manufacturer choice what panel to use.

Worst case my RAM mount is slightly loose to re-angle the phone if needed. We were full sun all day on a 700 km ride with no issue.
And I certainly don't have the brightest iPhone.
Oh, and my phone has another problem... It isn't waterproof.... Putting it in a zip lock bag or whatever drops usability even more... My Samsung works great in the car, but I use a dedicated GPS (meant for the outdoor environment) for my bike because I like to use the right tool for the right job...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts