StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cell phone plan is up, I'm eligible for a new phone. I have an iPhone 5 now and I am tossing up between an iPhone 6 or a Samsung Galaxy s5..... Opinions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I went to the Galaxy. I like the Camera and the phone is waterproof. For me dust / waterproof sealed the deal.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I always though Maryann was cuter. Ginger was too flashy for my taste.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went from an IPhone to a Galaxy about 2 years ago. Both are good phones. The Galaxy edges the iPhone out on software features but most are gimmicky and rarely used. What I like most about the Galaxy is the ability to change the battery and add a memory card.

But I also have an iMac and an iPad. I miss how everything I downloaded on one would end up on all three and all the pictures I took with the phone automatically transfer to my tablet and desktop. For that reason only my next phone will probably be an iPhone. Otherwise I'd stay with Samsung.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I swapped my IPhone 5 for a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active. I don't hate the phone, but I wish I had stayed with the IPhone and gotten the IPhone 6. The Galaxy is a nice phone, but has a lot of features that are either unused or gimmicky. I also find that the IPhone is easier to use. I'll be switching back when I'm eligible for an upgrade.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I switched from iPhone to Samsung with an S3. I didn't want to pay the Apple premium for internal storage and replaceable battery. I upgraded to S5, like the waterproof and camera, added 64 GB card and usb2go cable (read thumb drives). Don't care to use heart rate and fingerprint scans. Like that I can control more on my phone than iPhone, at a lower cost

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
Bought a new 5s over the 6, loved my 4 and knew the 5 was allot better yet. I have had numerous droids, I much prefer the iPhone.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Snce we are talking phones here, maybe somebody can help me. I've got a new S-4 (S-5 seemed too big to carry around) and I can't seem to activate the image stabilization (Samsung calls it anti-shake) function on the camera. It appears on the pull-down menu under camera utilities, but is not highlighted and cannot be changed from "off" to "on." Any tips?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Snce we are talking phones here, maybe somebody can help me. I've got a new S-4 (S-5 seemed too big to carry around) and I can't seem to activate the image stabilization (Samsung calls it anti-shake) function on the camera. It appears on the pull-down menu under camera utilities, but is not highlighted and cannot be changed from "off" to "on." Any tips?
Mike, I've got the S5 Active and just went through the camera feature. I'm guessing it's much the same as the S-4. Tap the settings icon in the upper left corner of the screen, and a features menu drops down. I checked pretty thoroughly, and and the only setting for image stabilization I could find was for the video function. I don't know if this helps you or not. BTW, the Galaxy has a pretty decent camera.

There is a help menu, but I didn't go into that just now.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Strompilot, I don't know what happened but after toggling back and forth between video and still pic the anti-shake menu item came alive, even in still pic mode where it would not activate before. So it's on now.

Could it have been the choice language I directed at it? I forgot all about the voice recognition thing...maybe I was sufficiently threatening.:mrgreen:

BTW, I'm fascinated by the S Voice function of this phone. I guess this is Google's answer to Siri.

Also the translation app, called S Translate. Since I happened to know Burmese (thanks to Uncle Sam) I thought I'd test the app on this pretty obscure language. It didn't do the speaking part, but correctly transcribed what I said in English into written Burmese. In Thai it will speak as well as write the translation, and it was also correctly done. I'm so friggin' impressed.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Strompilot, I don't know what happened but after toggling back and forth between video and still pic the anti-shake menu item came alive, even in still pic mode where it would not activate before. So it's on now.

Could it have been the choice language I directed at it? I forgot all about the voice recognition thing...maybe I was sufficiently threatening.:mrgreen:

BTW, I'm fascinated by the S Voice function of this phone. I guess this is Google's answer to Siri.

Also the translation app, called S Translate. Since I happened to know Burmese (thanks to Uncle Sam) I thought I'd test the app on this pretty obscure language. It didn't do the speaking part, but correctly transcribed what I said in English into written Burmese. In Thai it will speak as well as write the translation, and it was also correctly done. I'm so friggin' impressed.
OK, Google!! :)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Check out the Wordlens app. It's free from the store, Google bought it, and allows you to translate signs with your camera. Pretty awesome when you are in a foreign country.

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

All the latest flagship phones have great screens, good batteries, blazing processors, good cameras, etc.

iPhones probably have the best camera as a package of hardware and software - fast to start up, quick to focus, takes good pictures.

iPhones are also pretty expensive, especially as you get into the large storage sizes. OTOH, it's nice having storage which is all integrated. My experience with adding SD storage to an Android phone is that the usefulness is somewhat limited by the extra storage being in a different file system than the built-in storage (OK, technically a mount on the file system of the built-in storage).

I have a Nexus 5 and will probably stick with Android phones in the future because I'm pretty firmly embedded in the Google environment now, and don't really want to have to get into Apple's. Going from one to the other can be a pain.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
iPhone IF you drink the Apple KoolAid. Consumer Reports just ran their report on phones and the Apple was at #7. All the top phones were Droids. I've had Droids for 4 years now including the Nexus 7 and never had a lockup or issue. I think I'll get a Note or something when my plan is up in a few months. I have the S4 now and it's been great.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts