StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I calculate what size (wattage) inverter I need to charge my Netbook on the bike? Is charging the battery (with computer off) a lower draw than running the computer while plugged into the inverter (I don't plan to do this but that would be the max load, I assume).

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
They make chargers for netbooks that plug into 12v lighter sockets. It's likely to be less money than an inverter.

If you do want to calculate power requirements, you need to know how much power the charger (+ the inverter) draws, then use Ohm's law: P=IE

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Yak, on your charger or on the netbook it will list amperage or wattage. The rule mcgee quotes can be turned around:
watts = volts x amps
amps = watts ÷ volts

Also to be considered is the parasitic loss of the inverter. It will consume some power just making itself hum and get warm. Probably an inverter 50% higher capacity than the netbook charger is wise; no less than 20% greater is probably minimum. A car charger remains the best bet.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. so the charger output (what it sends to the computer) is 19 volts at 2.15 amps, giving a draw of 40.85 watts. I have a 75 watt inverter, so even with parasitic power loss, it should do fine. Someone (salesman) suggested I needed a 400 watt inverter.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Thanks guys. so the charger output (what it sends to the computer) is 19 volts at 2.15 amps, giving a draw of 40.85 watts. I have a 75 watt inverter, so even with parasitic power loss, it should do fine. Someone (salesman) suggested I needed a 400 watt inverter.
Yeah, you should be fine assuming the rating is calculated properly and the 75 watts is output rather than input. Nothing wrong with the 400 watt suggestion though. Higher capacity means things run cooler.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Advice

Cheap inverters give you a Square Wave output. A square wave output will NORMALLY not cause any problems on the device to which it is attached. However, some computers are sensitive and require the normal sine wave output.

I decided to purchase a sine wave inverter just to be save. Unfortunately, pure sine wave inverters are about 50% more expensive than an equal capacity square wave inverter.

·
Registered
22,268 Posts
Cheap inverters give you a Square Wave output. A square wave output will NORMALLY not cause any problems on the device to which it is attached. However, some computers are sensitive and require the normal sine wave output.

I decided to purchase a sine wave inverter just to be save. Unfortunately, pure sine wave inverters are about 50% more expensive than an equal capacity square wave inverter.

like myself, the op is just charging batteries

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts