StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself and my bike. A little history first. My previous bike was a GSX650F, and before that a KLR650. While I did like the 650F I really missed the riding position of the KLR.

I was looking for a bike that had similar ergo's to the KLR but with more power and better for the occasional two up. The bad part was that I had a very limited budget, so I was looking for a V-Strom for less than $2500.

I did find one. It is a 2002 with 79,000 miles, and I was able to purchase it for $1,900. I know the miles are very high for a motorcycle, but with the budget I was working with it was all I could fine.

On the good side it has a few farkles. New Continental tires front and rear, new front brakes, a center stand, Givi racks, Scott Oiler, Corbin Seat, and another aftermarket seat, grip heaters, gerbings hook up, new O-Ring chain and sprockets and a MRA Vario windscreen. The only thing it needed was back brakes and I did that myself. It seems to run great. I have put about 300 miles on it this week and really love it so far.

So I guess my first question is: Did I pay too much for this bike since it has such high miles? Also, what should I be looking out for?

It is my understanding that the PO took it on long distance tours i.e. Alaska etc.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
You already own it don't second guess yourself.

Its got mileage so just pay extra attention stuff. Bearings, cush hub, valves, all the tune up stuff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RichW,

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't thought of the cush drive rubbers. There is a slight "clunking" when shifting. It is very slight, but I am a believer in fix it before it breaks so I will definitely look at that.

Of course I will be changing all fluids, filters, bearings etc.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
You'll be fine -- sounds like it was taken care of.

I don't think anyone has actually managed to wear out a Vee engine yet -- someone around here was well over 200,000 miles several months ago.

Just stay up to date on the maintenance and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
200,000 miles? Wow! I am going to do all the normal maintenance now and any larger projects I will do this winter. I plan on taking several trips to the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer and at least one trip to WVA.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@StrangeDog - Yes it is definitley more roomy. It is not that I did not like the GSX-F, it was a good bike. But there were two issues for me.

1. The general position and the motor on that bike just made we want to race. I found myself going to work wide open every day. It is a wonder I managed to not get any tickets. More importantly, I think if I ride fast (as I was on that bike) sooner or later it would catch up to me and I will end up in a wreck.

2. The footpegs were too high for me to be comfortable on a long ride on the GSX-F. I like to take longer rides by myself (cheap therapy) and after 3 or 4 hours my knees would really be uncomfortable.

The V-Strom's riding position is much more like my old KLR. Very upright, very comfortable. However the V has waaaaay more power than the KLR, better brakes, much better lights, fuel injection, and a better ride. I can still cut up on it if I want to, but for some reason the riding position lets me ride to work at a reasonable pace and still have fun.

The other big factor was $. I had a KLR that I had paid $2,600 for. I painted it and traded it +$300 for the GSX-F. I sold the GSX-F for $4000 and bought the Strom for $1900. That let me pull a little cash out for another project I am working on (Miata). So my initial reason for selling the GSX was to get the cash but now that I have spent some time on the Strom I would not go back to the GSX even if I could have it for the same price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@GrayWolf - Thanks for the link. I am look forward to reading it.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
a good deal

You got your money's worth in farkles; the bike was free.
Don't waste you time on your computer .... just ride your Vstrom like you stole it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
currently at 245,000 miles. I'll have a new write up along with an oil analysis in 5K.

fyi- the cush drive is still stock original

·
Registered
20 Posts
High mileage

It sounds like you got a very good deal. My riding partner doesn't get rid of anything unless it has at least 120k. He has about 60k on his 03 Vee. Regular maintenance and check the little things. I'm not even going to tell him about Greywolfs link to the 200k strom. He would want to go see it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts