StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Had my new V-strom for about a week now. I got a leftover 2002, 0 miles, for $7499+ dealer profit (destination and setup $500 charge).

Setup sucked from the dealer, tires at 20 and 25 lbs, chain 2" slack, index marks off by one on the rear wheel, tank with 2 gal of high test, so it stalled and back-fired until I got 87 in it.

I rode a Honda ST1100 (my first bike) for the last 18 months. About 700lbs wet. A LITTLE different than what, less than 500lbs wet? It's so lght it feels like a dirt bike.

Still in the 4500 RPM break-in, I commute to work every day on the bike, but it's only a 30 mile round trip. Can't wait to start exploring the real power of this machine.

I'm really impressed. Every turn on my commute route is 10 to 20MPH faster with no effort. I'm pretty tall, so the extra leg room is a big plus. Having my knees lower also has elminated the numbing of bodyparts you don't want to get numb.

Overall, with the V-Strom, it's like the bike isn't there. It's like the difference between driving a Corvette and an old heavy Cadillac. Also, the air current is much more comfortable with the V-Strom. On the ST1100, with either my cut-down or Clearview XL windshield, I still got lots of noise and had to get my face shield down over about 50MPH. With the V-Strom, I can leave the shield up at 70+mph, no problem. Very good protection from so little plastic and windshield.

I also like the fact that there are NONE of these around. Here on Long Island, NY, there are lots of cruisers and sport bikes (only on Sunday though). Nothing even close to this.

Got the bags coming from AZMotorSports in a week or so and I'll be all set.

I ride every day, year around, unless there's snow (SALT) on the roads, so I'll give some feedback on how this feels at 10 degrees this winter. I'm hoping the "hand fairings" help out with the cold. I'll probably get the tall screen and laminar lip for the winter, to get as much COLD air around me as possible.

Sorry to be long-winded, just another enthused new owner!!

Bob

·
Registered
213 Posts
new bike

I'm in Oregon and ride pretty much year round. The hand guards help but they are kind of small. I have a pair of Gerbing's electric gloves that I use when the temps drop. I have not ridden in 10 degree temps but they are good for me down into the upper 30s.

G

·
0 Posts
New owner here as well! Just rode it home from Chaparral Motorsports, San Bernardino to Valley Center (San Diego County) California. :D

It will join the KLR in my garage. I love the gear driven cam sound. Reminds me of my (wish I never sold it) Honda VFR.

Looking forward to finish breaking-in the engine. Feels like there is some power waiting to be unleashed!

G

·
0 Posts
New owner here as well! Just rode it home from Chaparral Motorsports, San Bernardino to Valley Center (San Diego County) California. :D

It will join the KLR in my garage. I love the gear driven cam sound. Reminds me of my (wish I never sold it) Honda VFR.

Looking forward to finish breaking-in the engine. Feels like there is some power waiting to be unleashed!

S

·
0 Posts
I live in Montreal and I did 600 miles last winter... Got to wash the Strom
everytime, too much salt. The hand shields help but heated grips are
wonderfull. Even summertime, when it rains.

St Germain

W

·
0 Posts
Proud New Owner, July 29th Delivery of a Yellow/Black 'Strom

Just got a 2003, yellow/black.

After riding a Volusia for about a year--which is a damn nice bike as far as cruisers are concerned--I took the V-Strom out for a test drive with 0.1 mile on the odometer. After a two-hour ride, there wasn't a single reason I could think of for NOT buying it right then and there. So I wrote the dealer a check for the difference and never sat on the Volusia again!

Liquid smooth ride and power, fast as hell, well behaved on any road surface, stable at a crawl and at 100mph. What more does anyone really need??? After this bike, every other bike is just another toy in the endless pissing contest of life and not much more.

So far I've aded the OEM luggage rack mounts (my existing Givi D460 trunk and E21 cruiser cases fit perfectly!), OEM center stand, OEM tall windshield with Laminar Lip and EARS, Givi engine case guards, 3rd party swing arm protector-spools, HotGrips, tall oem windshield, power outlets for my Gerbing jacket liner and GPS, and a custom, hand-fitted saddle in black leather saddle (with matching screaming yellow leather trim & embroidered accents). Oh, and a security system to discourage anyone taking an "unhealthy" interest in the bike.

Only thing left to do is add Tru-Sphere LED tail-light replacement bulbs, LED replacements for all the turn signals and silverstar headlight bulbs which can be added a little at a time as the original light bulbs burn out. Metzeler Tourance radials will replace the Bridgestones when the time comes.

GAWD! I LOVE this bike! I haven't had this much fun since dirt biking as a kid!

D

·
0 Posts
Can't wait to get mine......again :)

Well, right now I have a modified (what cruiser isn't??) road star warrior and I miss my strom, NEVER should have sold it. I run with a cruiser crowd and wanted something more of a cruiser and while I could go on and on regarding how much I love the warrior.....I still miss my strom dammit!

SO... I'm gonna sell it soon and buy a strom and get the luggage as well. I might get the yellow since I already had the silver.

NOTE: Any word on 2004 stroms? Colors? any changes?

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts