·
Administrator
13,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Stay cool ...

If you present yourself as a reasonable person, the hypothetical Florida LEO will treat you in a reasonable fashion. We have, for sure, our share of hard-nosed cops, but I do not think this silly law should deter a Canadian from visiting Florida, with just an ordinary Ontario or Saskatchewan license.

In the other direction, I am supposed to acquire a permit from my insurance company to drive in Canada. GEICO calls it a "Canadian Non-Resident Insurance ID Card". Sometimes I remember to get one, and sometimes I do not. And it doesn't seem to matter a lot. A Toronto cop stopped me because the strap of my helmet went through a chin-cup and around my chin, a dingus now considered unreliable and illegal in Ontario. I removed it and discarded it, and routed the strap under my chin. He was satisfied by the ordinary insurance certificate and made no mention of the missing International permit.

If you prove me wrong, just let me know,
and I will bake you a cake with a hacksaw in it. :yesnod:

Keith

PS: Coincidence - I am watching StarChoice channel 390 just now,
and sure enough CBC news is telling me about the requirement.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
The Sunshine State Xenophobes snuck one in, eh?

The next thing you know they'll be confiscating your Rush cassettes at the border.

Let me remind the migrating masses from the North Country that you could cut your travel in half, save on sunblock and enjoy some world class motorcycling and white-water kayaking in shirt sleeve (for Canadians, anyways) weather in the Great North State. We have beaches, mountains and a laissez-faire attitude toward home distillation of spirits.

We would appreciate it if you limit your Rush tapes to just the instrumental numbers, please.

·
Registered
816 Posts
A Toronto cop stopped me because the strap of my helmet went through a chin-cup and around my chin, a dingus now considered unreliable and illegal in Ontario.
I'd say you deserved to get pulled over for that. Time to join the 21st century :)

·
Registered
751 Posts

The next thing you know they'll be confiscating your Rush cassettes at the border.

Let me remind the migrating masses from the North Country that you could cut your travel in half, save on sunblock and enjoy some world class motorcycling and white-water kayaking in shirt sleeve (for Canadians, anyways) weather in the Great North State. We have beaches, mountains and a laissez-faire attitude toward home distillation of spirits.

We would appreciate it if you limit your Rush tapes to just the instrumental numbers, please.
You should work for NC tourism!
you convinced me!
Steve

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

HAHA....BEing from NC and living in Fla for the past 33 years, i totally agree. the whitewater is the best but the shine is better in charleston. But before this thread gets locked up because the admins think the thread is going nowhere, i just want to say :thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
you convinced me!
Steve
Wait till mid-May and you can see the largest assemblage of V-Stroms, ever.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Florida will not enforce it. Bit on $$$.

Florida will not enforce Canadian drivers license law | HeraldTribune.com

Understand, the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, our local bird-cage liner,
does not speak for Florida, but I see my above prediction coming true.

Florida says that its purpose was to make sure that police would see a document in English. How is a cop to make sense of a license that is printed in a foreign language? There are hundreds of languages, and the International Driver License provides all the information in several languages, English included.

So y'all come to Florida, and bring lots of greenbacks. Now that your loonies are not made with alloy from Tennessee (they WERE, you know!!!) please get THOSE translated and do not try to spend them here. (In 2012, I found a loonie in a dumpster in Florida!)

Your dollar is fluctuating a lot, sometimes above ours and sometimes below. When it is up, carpe the diem and go to TDCanadaTrust and get some converted. I do not believe Timothy Leary's prediction that the loonie will reach US$1.07 any time soon.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
OK, let's corrupt this thread with NC boosting!

you convinced me!
Steve
Norm is a fine representative for the Tarheel State. So am I. I visit NC often, and like riding through its varied terrain when I can. Ride the Outer Banks, via fragile highway 12, and have a look at various pretty black-and-white lighthouses. At Cape Hatteras the lighthouse is painted in a helical pattern, like the lighthouse at Heart's Content in Newfoundland (but that one is red-and white).

And if you are way out west in Cherokee County, you know what road you will ride, don't you!

Keith

And play this: Freewill

·
Administrator
13,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The law is on hold in the sense that it won't likely be enforced, but it is stil on the books. If you get invloved in a crash in Florida then legally you could be considerd to not have a valid license. There is the possibility your insurance company may then reject any claim you make because you technically didn't have a valid license.

For the $25 it costs to get the international license I wouldn't risk it.

..Tom

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good comic relief to pass the cold winter days...:)

“We realize that tourists will be an unintended side effect of this new law,” said Kathy Torian of Visit Florida.

The World Tourism Organization defines tourists as people "traveling to and staying in places outside their usual environment for not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business and other purposes".

Makes one wonder what the "intended effect" of the law is.

Keep the laughs coming !!

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
If you prove me wrong, just let me know,
and I will bake you a cake with a hacksaw in it.

Ick! That would taste terrible!

Even -after- the bong...

:beatnik:

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Well, they say ...

Good comic relief to pass the cold winter days...:)
Makes one wonder what the "intended effect" of the law is. ...
As I understand the situation, Florida wanted to make sure
drivers from outside USA would all carry documents in English.

Imagine a cop in Halifax looking at the license of a driver from Russia.
The license might be perfectly valid, but how would the cop know?

Google tells me that "Expiry Date" in Russian is

дата истечения срока действия
I did not ask what "prescription lenses required" would be.

My friendly local rag is telling us that:

The Insurance Bureau of Canada on Friday was strongly discouraging "any insurer from using the amended Florida Statute as a reason to deny coverage on the basis that the non-resident driver was not authorized to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Florida."​

If you plan to come to Florida, and do not wish to waste $25 on an International License, communicate with your insurance agent and request a letter saying that your insuror will not deny coverage solely on the basis of lack of an International License. If your insurance agent balks, then you have the wrong agent, and a good reason to find another, and a good way to help you select that agent.

·
Administrator
13,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

If you plan to come to Florida, and do not wish to waste $25 on an International License, communicate with your insurance agent and request a letter saying that your insuror will not deny coverage solely on the basis of lack of an International License. If your insurance agent balks, then you have the wrong agent, and a good reason to find another, and a good way to help you select that agent.
The agent isn't the one that decides whether coverage is valid or not; it's up to the insurance company. That's why the insurance bureau was asking insurance companies to not deny coverage. Even then they can't tell them to not deny coverage... It's up to each company.

Given the ease at which insurance companies can find excuses for not paying I would suggest that $25 is a minor amount to pay to avoid that potential loophole.

..Tom

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
There is no Canadian drivers license, eh? There are B.C., Alberta, etc., drivers licenses, aren't there?

Is a Quebec drivers license en Anglais?

How about a U. K. Drivers license, certainly in English (even for Wales???) if issued before 1998 has no photo and expires on the drivers 70th birthday?

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts