StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to install new fork springs and gold valve emulators in my forks for a 2006 DL650. Is there an easy way to shorten the forks internally while I have the forks open? I was thinking of lowering the bike with lowering links and I thought shortening the forks internally would be better than dropping them in the triple clamps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You can just raise the forks in the triple trees at no cost. Mine are up about 1 1/4 inches or so with no problems in 5 years. I have adjustable links from eBay in the back set to lower the rear about the same amount.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The maximum for lowering the front is ~21mm, less than 1 inch before hard parts can start to smash together. On ABS bikes with fork braces, the maximum is 7-10mm. Shortening the travel would involve reworking the oil lock or cutting and welding the damper rod. I have effectively reduced available travel by installing Rancho RS1952 fork gaiters over a fork brace with a few pleats cut off the bottom. Install gaiters with more pleats left on and travel will be shortened with only rubber parts hitting together.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Good idea to match the rear to the front to maintain the fork angle and caster dimensions. Dirt bikes are often shortened for shorter riders.

For the V Strom 650, You can shorten the fork travel by addition of an internal spacer. Install this spacer under the top-out spring. You will also want to modify the damper rod oil lock holes- either weld it shut and drill a new hole in the corresponding position or just cap it off completely.

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
...Shortening the travel would involve reworking the oil lock or cutting and welding the damper rod...
Pat,

Actually shortening the travel is pretty simple. Just make short spacers, length the same as the amount you want to reduce travel, and put them under the top out springs. Reduces fork extension.
With most conventional forks it's straightforward. Inverted forks can be more difficult.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I decided to try to make it work without lowering for now. The spring and gold valve install went smooth and easy thanks to Just Dan's step by step posting with pictures. Huge improvement in front suspension. Definitely in the "worth every penny" category.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts