StromTrooper banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Fortunately I have already isolated the problem to being somewhere to the left of the actual clutch. That is, within the hydraulic actuation system. Thanks to Mr. Rolex's brilliant "clutch simulator" idea.

It's possible I did need a new SC, & that it was in fact causing some of the binding, but that this was only part of the problem.

Working with the lever today, it feels as if something in the upper part of the linkage is grinding, catching, and/or sticking.

Sometimes, it's right near the beginning, as soon as I've taken up the slack.

Other times, it's not until the last bit of lever travel.

Always, it's irritating and makes my hand tired.

To clarify: this does not happen with every clutch pull. I can stand at the bike while it's parked and pull the lever 20 times and it won't happen. A few more pulls and it does. Then doesn't happen again for several more pulls. Same thing while riding. Absolutely no pattern to it that I can discern.

Going to remove the lever, grease up everything that moves, put it back on & see if it makes a difference.

May also try pushing on the MC internals (the actual piston you're pressurizing with the lever), using something other than the clutch lever & its linkage, to further narrow the possibilities.

·
Registered
652 Posts
While you're in there, if you don't like the "take up point" (where your lever is physically when the clutch engages/disengages), you could remove the "plunger" that the clutch lever presses and file it down a tiny bit at a time until you get the take up point where you want it. :)

Have you removed that plunger yet? Maybe it's corroded? I don't know if you have to drain the MC to remove the plunger or not.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I took the lever off and greased the heck out of every moving part: brass bushing, pushrod, mating surfaces on the lever, everything that touches anything moving.

No difference. Problem is certainly inside the MC.

Weird since the internals looked fine when I took the MC apart a while back.

Whatever, parts are on order for an MC overhaul.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Well, no riding for me until I get parts.

It got worse. Tried to go on a ride with the SO today. We made it about a mile. Then the clutch lever started REALLY fighting me, and letting out just as slowly.

Stalled the bike the first time it happened. With some experimenting, managed to limp home. Most of it was in 1st gear, because the clutch was letting out so slowly that I was unable to upshift as usual. Getting going from a stop was interesting.

WTF.

Going to drain fluid and have a look at things tomorrow probably. Can't ride anyway with the clutch like this.

MC parts still haven't shipped. Need to find out why.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,350 Posts
I am still thinking the hose is the problem.
You had the Master Cylinder apart. Nothing that was out of the ordinary going on in it. Something would have to be in bad shape to bind like you are experiencing.
Go back to work that has been done on the bike. And add the fact that this is a very unusual problem. The change from a stock hydraulic hose to the Galfer is the only thing not inspected. The only thing not factory.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I would not jump to any conclusions re: condition of MC parts.

I have never had one apart before so I have no idea what one in "fine condition" looks like. The difference may become apparent once I receive new parts.

I have no way to "inspect" the hose other than visually, and to verify I can get fluid through it. No kinks, breaks, swollen places, or other visible abnormalities in the hose.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would not jump to any conclusions re: condition of MC parts.

I have never had one apart before so I have no idea what one in "fine condition" looks like. The difference may become apparent once I receive new parts.

I have no way to "inspect" the hose other than visually, and to verify I can get fluid through it. No kinks, breaks, swollen places, or other visible abnormalities in the hose.
What happens to the hose is a crack or tear in the inner rubber layer of hose. Even the braided steel hoses are rubber on the inside. Suppose there was a crack in the rubber allowing fluid to get between the inner rubber layer and the next layer - which may not be the outer braided layer. Pulling the clutch could increase pressure at this crack and cause the inner rubber layer to bulge inward and restrict the inside of the hose. All supposition, but based on what has happened with rubber brake hoses.

If you don't have an original hose to try in place of the Galfer, maybe someone else has one they can send you. I still have a braided hose for mine uninstalled. Of course, I'm bedridden and have no way to get it to you or you could have it.

Or, burrs on the tabs/slots of the clutch plates or basket maybe allowing a slight rocking action of the clutch and making it snag?

Gotta find it for when it happens to the second one of us in a million!

Keep at it.
Glenn

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Appreciate the thought but I don't think either of us wants to deal with cross-border shipping on a hunch. Or shipping in general. I can easily afford a new clutch line, but it really shouldn't be breaking down after just over a year, and also I hate "recon by replacing parts."

Galfer does supposedly offer a lifetime warranty on their lines. If the MC parts don't fix the issue (assuming I can ever get them!), I suppose I'll be finding out how that works exactly.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,350 Posts
Your pictures posted earlier of the Master Cylinder parts looked ok. That is all I am going on.

Your post today about the clutch now not wanting to engage as it should only adds to my thoughts that the hose is the issue. I have had brake hoses act exactly like what you are experiencing. No matter the age of ANY part. Manufacturing defects can and do occur.

The stock hydraulic hose is expensive. I would call Galfer and tell them what you are experiencing. They might just send out a replacement hose!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Bad hose would explain why the lever works fine with no fluid in the system.

Stock hose is not only expensive, but wouldn't work. I need an extra 2" on the clutch line because I'm using 3.5" Rox handlebar risers. Swapped the stock brake lines for +2" Galfers for the same reason.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Galfer isn't open on Mondays, guess I'll find out about warranty tomorrow.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
We'll see. Parts are finally shipped. Should have them by Friday.

It sucks not being able to ride for a week, but weather hasn't been great anyhow.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts

It sucks not being able to ride for a week, but weather hasn't been great anyhow.
It is important to always own at least 2 motorcycles, then chances are pretty good that at least one of them is working at all times ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts

I hear you about the weather. I have to get up and be rolling before the sun comes up if I go riding. there is no riding in the middle of the day or afternoon for this old person. 111F to 115 isn't as much fun as it used to be and it never was all that much fun. better times they are a coming.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
We're deep into monsoon season. If you aren't out by 11 you're probably getting rained on before you get home. Some mornings, you have no chance.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
On eBay you can get real cheap hoses in varying lengths that could do the job.

Look for 10m banjo's, go-carts and buggies use the longer ones while bikes have shorter ones.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
One thing at a time. Going to talk to Galfer today, or at least try.

If needed I can get a new hose put together at a local hydraulic shop. I got a quote from them a while back and they can do it same day. At this point I'm completely fed up with waiting for things to be shipped. I just want my clutch back so I can ride.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
So. Frickin. Tired. Of. Waiting. For. Parts. :(

MC parts are supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts