StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, new member here.
'03 Vee with 17k, I have had about a month, and it started having idle problems 2 weeks ago after about 100 miles on fast interstate ride. When I exited, the bike died. Rode about 20 more miles and it died a few times before arriving. It died on the way home a few times, but otherwise ran fine. Since then, it only seems to die on out of town trips (not local) and then only maybe 5% of the ride am I having trouble.

Plugs and filters checked
Will check throttle body this weekend
Boots appear firmly attached

Any other suggestions on how to diagnose intermittent idle issues?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had problems with my 1000

Had somewhat the same problem with my 1000. Traced it to a bad conection at the tank plug, the hot wire. Easy to check, when it stops turn key off then back on you should hear the pump cycle if it doesent that the [problem

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
OK if I chime in on this?

I just recently did a valve clearance adjustment on my bike - found the rear boot was loose and reinstalled and tightened it. I'm assuming it hasn't come loose again already. New iridium plugs, new air filter, TBS done. I've been out for a few decent rides since, sometimes riding it hard, sometimes cruising at fairly constant speeds for a while, and the idle was dead solid.

Until today. Rode my bike to work, thought the throttle was a little iffy at low speeds, but didn't notice until I got to my parking lot that the idle problem and low speed running issues had occurred again. Same thing on the way home. When I finally hit a traffic light I did the open-close throttle thing and cycled the ignition, and it started running fine again.

So, I think I can rule out any tuning issues or the usual suspects. I don't know what the next step is. I guess I can try replacing the TPS - it's not cheap, but not super expensive - although it's a bit of a pain to get at. See what happens.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Did you reconnect the crankcase vent tube to the airbox? I forgot this critical step one time and had the same problem.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
OK if I chime in on this?

I just recently did a valve clearance adjustment on my bike - found the rear boot was loose and reinstalled and tightened it. I'm assuming it hasn't come loose again already. New iridium plugs, new air filter, TBS done. I've been out for a few decent rides since, sometimes riding it hard, sometimes cruising at fairly constant speeds for a while, and the idle was dead solid.

Until today. Rode my bike to work, thought the throttle was a little iffy at low speeds, but didn't notice until I got to my parking lot that the idle problem and low speed running issues had occurred again. Same thing on the way home. When I finally hit a traffic light I did the open-close throttle thing and cycled the ignition, and it started running fine again.

So, I think I can rule out any tuning issues or the usual suspects. I don't know what the next step is. I guess I can try replacing the TPS - it's not cheap, but not super expensive - although it's a bit of a pain to get at. See what happens.

Yes, you are having the classic symptoms of a TPS failure.

I think the diagnostic part is that if you cycle the ignition and scrub the throttle back and forth a few times, it'll clean up the sensor temporarily and it'll work fine for a while. Any other problem wouldn't be affected by that.

It's not that hard to do, and if you replace those stupid torx head screws with allen heads, you can reach the TPS from the side with a 4mm ball end driver without taking off the tank. Makes it easy to set correctly.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yeah, having read a bunch about this issue, I think it's worth a shot. I think I'll be popping the tank off and having a good look again at all the throttle and secondary thorttle plate linkages also, to make sure that nothing's hanging up or sticking, although I don't know what to do about it if it is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I swapped plugs, filter, and synched TBs and no more problem, so it may not have been the TPS?

Without the problem it is hard to test.

Bike is running great so it is on the back burner.........

Now a new problem........

I broke the speedo-sensor head-thingie while changing sprockets

Is there an aftermarket version that is NOT made from a Ritz cracker?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
well I swapped plugs, filter, and synched TBs and no more problem, so it may not have been the TPS?

Without the problem it is hard to test.

Bike is running great so it is on the back burner.........

Now a new problem........

I broke the speedo-sensor head-thingie while changing sprockets

Is there an aftermarket version that is NOT made from a Ritz cracker?
Speedometer head thingy is mounted to the front wheel, (left side). I kind of find it hard to believe that you broke it while changing a sprocket.......

What you may be referring to is the gear indicator that is located behind the front sprocket. Is that what you are talking about?

·
38,103 Posts
Dredman has a DL1000. Unlike the front wheel driven speedo pickup on the 650, the Vee's is driven off the countershaft.

·
38,103 Posts
Is it #15? If so, The part number is 34981-38G01 and it supersedes the original part number. It should be under $15.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Dredman has a DL1000. Unlike the front wheel driven speedo pickup on the 650, the Vee's is driven off the countershaft.
Pat, your patience goes waaaaay beyond "Sainthood"!

If the poster has not taken the time to add what year and bike they ride in their signature, I don't take the time to go track it down through their bio. You do!

My assumption is, if they haven't listed which bike they own and ride in their signature, then they are riding a DL-650; the better of the two bikes. So, I answer accordingly.

:)biggrinjester:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pat, your patience goes waaaaay beyond "Sainthood"!

If the poster has not taken the time to add what year and bike they ride in their signature, I don't take the time to go track it down through their bio. You do!

:)biggrinjester:)
I did mention my bike model in the first post, sorry for the confusion.

And yes Pat, it is number 15, thanks for the part number - you folks are awesome :thumbup:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I did mention my bike model in the first post, sorry for the confusion.

And yes Pat, it is number 15, thanks for the part number - you folks are awesome :thumbup:
And, I apologize to you for missing it! I keep forgetting about the "Vee" / "Wee" difference.

Mine is just "a bike".

B.L.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honestly I would have either one. I have ridden both, and now I wonder why it took me so long to find this bike :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally replicated the original problem today........

Turned off the ignition, blipped the throttle x2 - and wham -instafix !!

So TPS was the problem. Not sure I am gonna fix it, as long as it does not continue to be a consistent problem.....

I mean 4 times in a month, and I now I know how to fix it, at least temporarily :)

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Finally replicated the original problem today........

Turned off the ignition, blipped the throttle x2 - and wham -instafix !!

So TPS was the problem. Not sure I am gonna fix it, as long as it does not continue to be a consistent problem.....

I mean 4 times in a month, and I now I know how to fix it, at least temporarily :)

Thanks for the help guys.

I would fix it ASAP, personally.

a) It's only gonna get worse.

b) This problem can indeed kill you dead -- many riders have been killed when a bike stalls at a stoplight. When the light turns green, the oblivious cage pilot punches the throttle with messy results. In one recent case involving a semi truck, the smear was about 100 yards long... :scared:

It's only about $75 and a hour or two of easy work.

But if you live in an area where the cage drivers actually pay attention, sure, no reason to fix it right away...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree, there is some concern there, but this is not a spontaneous problem, it is very predictable (so far)

It will be fixed, as soon as I slow down for the next maintenance :)

But if you live in an area where the cage drivers actually pay attention, sure, no reason to fix it right away...
where is this "area"?

I need to find a realtor :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts