StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bikes a 2017 650 which I've had for a month, 800 miles. Problem is bike cuts out sometimes when I am standing on the pegs. Anything less than 40mph and 3000rpm , screen is totally blank with no warning lights BUT when I sit down again it automatically starts and rides normally. Battery terminals good and it only happens when I'm standing. Was at the dealer today and they couldn't see anything wrong and of course the bike behaved itself there. Anyone here had anything similar or have any ideas?
ps I'm not activating the side stand switch when I stand up :frown2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Based on your description, I'd check the wiring under the seat. I would guess some wire is either loose or getting pinched and when you stand on the pegs it is grounding or shorting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on your description, I'd check the wiring under the seat. I would guess some wire is either loose or getting pinched and when you stand on the pegs it is grounding or shorting.
will do. dealers advise DONT STAND UP :furious:

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Hey, it's not a GS. Only BMW riders are allowed to spend endless hours being Adventurous.
Peg Standing is De Rigeuer for them. They even train on perfectly smooth asphalt do be proficient at looking elegant.:wink2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The black box with lots of wires going into it which is strapped to the battery is I assume the ECU. This was sitting at a angle which could possibly be affected by up and down on the seat. I could not see any bare wires or loose connections. I'll get a ride on it tomorrow and report back. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a shot here...when standing you are putting much more pressure on pegs. Check the side stand switch also. Good luck!
Thanks but I tried putting down the side stand while the bike was running. The engine cut out which I assume means the switch is working and when it did the dash still had lights on.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Side stand in down position kills ignition only. Something under the seat is causing this.
There is nothing on the pegs themselves electrical other than the sidestand switch which you already
checked.

Does your bike have a charging pigtail attached to the battery terminals ? If so make sure it is not being pinched
or routed where it could be shorting out ....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No there is nothing extra connected to the battery. I bought the bike a month ago and in 2 years it had done 160 miles so its basically a new bike and I dont think a wire could have shorted out with such little use. I've moved the ECU and I'll take it a run tomorrow to try it out. It would be so much easier if the problem was there all the time.

·
Administrator
4,994 Posts
Why do you not try standing on the pegs while the bike is idling at your home/shed? The same should occur. If not, why not? Easy if you have a main stand or swingarm stand, otherwise lean against a tree or pole.
Also confirm that it is definitely not the sidestand switch by zip tying the stand to the frame or rear footrest, or by bridging that switch.

You could also remove your seat and start the bike. If it runs, it cannot be your weight on the seat which causes the bike to run, and then to stop when your weight is removed. Somewhere an electrical connection is being disturbed.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Bikes a 2017 650 which I've had for a month, 800 miles. Problem is bike cuts out sometimes when I am standing on the pegs. Anything less than 40mph and 3000rpm , screen is totally blank with no warning lights BUT when I sit down again it automatically starts and rides normally. Battery terminals good and it only happens when I'm standing. Was at the dealer today and they couldn't see anything wrong and of course the bike behaved itself there. Anyone here had anything similar or have any ideas?
ps I'm not activating the side stand switch when I stand up :frown2:

Do you keep a finger or 2 on the clutch lever all the time? Clutch switch maybe?

Yea I know weird idea huh. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Sound like a bad power connection for sure so a bad plug or connection on the ignition system but why when standing only ?

I don't know what happens if the tilt switch is activated ? does it act like the ignition system is shut down and the dash goes blank ?

Are you 100% sure the kill switch is not being moved when standing ?

You say your battery connections are good, did you also check the earth where it bolts to the motor and the power cable where it bolts to the starter solenoid ?

·
Registered
543 Posts
This is a crazy one dancer dave hope you get it sorted out soon. Please let us know what you find- finally fixes it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Another wild idea, but close to my battery is the tip over switch/box. Could it be that it is shifting position and killing the bike. It should have an up arrow on it to indicate the "on" position. My ECU is a bit harder to reach unless yours has been moved. :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Booked in to the dealers tomorrow to get it plugged in as I can't see any bad connections/earths. Hope they find something

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took it to the dealers who plugged it into the computer - no faults. Checked the trip switch - fine. Checked the side stand switch - working. Checked the wiring and couldnt see anything wrong. He then took it for a test ride and ............ bike behaved perfectly!
I was adamant that the bike had a problem and asked what happened next so it was a process of elimination and he would bypass the sidestand switch first and told me to ride the bike for a couple of days.
The problem has not SO FAR reoccurred so either its a faulty switch or he has moved the wiring about and there is no short now. I'm going to ride it for another week to make sure.
You have self doubt when these things happen but if I had activated the sidestand switch when standing up yes it would have cut out but there would have been lights on the dash and on my bike it was blank so fingers crossed we have identified the problem.

·
Administrator
4,994 Posts
Great progress. Yes, you need to be sure an issue is resolved. If the fault fails to re-surface have a buddy observe you as you sit on your bike in your normal riding position.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I'm not sure with your bike you could check but this is what happens if it is the stand switch on a 2014 1000.

If the stand switch is activated while in gear you will see this.

Where the gear position is indicated the number will be replaced with a dash (-), the temperature gauge will fill to the top and you will get a check showing up on the dashboard.

The only problem is that it is not instant it will take a second or two to happen.

The stand switch should never leave your dashboard blank.

I recommend every trouper get to know these things about their bikes it could come in handy one day.

·
Registered
543 Posts
DancerDave : How is everything going with the bike now ? If the issues have stopped then the Side stand switch
is the culprit. Could be the body of the switch is fractured or an internal intermittant connection. In any case it should
be replaced with a new one to (hopefully) restore normal operation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts