StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live next to Interstate 5, just North of Portland, Oregon. I hop onto the highway almost every day for short shopping trips, etc... Of course I watch for bikes and enjoy seeing the local Strom riders on their daily commutes.

Every couple of months, I'll spot a Strom, usually heading North towards Seattle. Could be either a 1000 or 650. They stay in the fast lane, moving slightly faster than the rest of the traffic. They always have side and top cases mounted. Sometimes I can make out an ADV sticker. Sometimes they are wearing dirty riding gear that looks like it has been through some serious rain.

I assume these guys are on long distance rallies of the Iron Butt type. Whenever I see one I want to go grab my Strom and ride along!

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Every couple of months, I'll spot a Strom, usually heading North towards Seattle. Could be either a 1000 or 650.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA
I see Stroms everyday going by loaded with all sorts of gear. Usually they are travelling in pairs but sometimes up to 5 in a group.
Whether they are headed North or South makes no difference, they are just out Stroming.

·
Registered
279 Posts
One of my coworkers, a biker as well, mentioned that he has been seeing lot of Stroms in New Hampshire. Sometimes alone and sometimes in groups. I got a big kick out of how surprised he seemed to be that he was seeing so many of them. There does seem to be quite a few in the New England area.

Bubba

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I see quite a few here in Western North Carolina.

I've managed to stop a few of them and ask them where they get the nerve to be taking these cross-country trips while the rest of us have to slave away for money.

I have often found myself returning from an errand as evening is settling and long to go past the driveway and wake up somewhere far away.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I see Stroms everyday going by loaded with all sorts of gear. Usually they are travelling in pairs but sometimes up to 5 in a group.
Whether they are headed North or South makes no difference, they are just out Stroming.
Some travel alone...and stop in to visit! How are things in the land of sunshine and happiness, WW?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Recently saw two Strom 1000's in Vermont travelling together loaded with gear....both were all black.....shooting up Route 100....then I saw them again on the return trip.....looked as though they were preparing for a long haul somewhere and working out the bugs of the new gear......each had a couple of 1 gallon red plastic gas containers attached to the giant sidebags....pretty cool ...these guys :var_11::var_11:looked prepared for anything....

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Some travel alone...and stop in to visit! How are things in the land of sunshine and happiness, WW?
Today WAS sunshine and happiness. We rode to Sumas Washington for a burger an fries. Life is good.

·
Registered
251 Posts
uh well?..........

For you Portland and Vancouver, Wa. guys. Have you eaten at that steak house that is right across the street from the huge statue of Paul Bunyon? :thumbup: I worked in Vancouver for a while in 1995 and was just wondering about that place and the one down on the south end of Martin Luther King Dr. in Portland? :hurray:

Just curious,

Flint

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
One of my coworkers, a biker as well, mentioned that he has been seeing lot of Stroms in New Hampshire. Sometimes alone and sometimes in groups.
If he saw a Red One without "VStrom stickers" that would be me. I do a lot of riding through NH on my "Commute Home".

However, there are a lot of Stroms in this area.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I saw the most unusual thing today. While I was at the local cycle shop picking up some oil.... in comes an older guy on his Strom with a tire around his waste. First time I have ever seen that. It was a sight. After a quick chuckle I figured it was just another Strom owner ingenuity.

Unfortunately I did not stop to talk. I was in my car not riding the Wee.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For you Portland and Vancouver, Wa. guys. Have you eaten at that steak house that is right across the street from the huge statue of Paul Bunyon? :thumbup: I worked in Vancouver for a while in 1995 and was just wondering about that place and the one down on the south end of Martin Luther King Dr. in Portland? :hurray:

Just curious,

Flint
I think the steak house across from the Paul Bunyon statue has been a strip club for many years. It is called "Dancin Bare" - honest. Look it up on http://www.maps.google.com and enter this address: 9000 N Interstate Ave Portland, OR. You should see a thumbnail photo of the statue and Dancin Bare will be visible in fine print on the map.

Portland seems to have more strip clubs per capita than any city on earth.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
251 Posts
hmmm........

Then that would mean the Acropolis is out on MLK drive? :yesnod:

I have one a the dancin' bare T shirts but kinda figured someone would catch on to that post...

Flint :mrgreen:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Acropolis

Hey Flint,

You do indeed get to the Acropolis by heading South on MLK, although the name of the street changes. I believe it is the Acropolis that is most famous for its steaks. You should come back to Portland soon and spend some money in our strip clubs. The economy could use a boost! :)

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
hmmmm?.......

The post was just a little effort at humor but, I probably won't be going across country any more to attend female physiology classes? :mrgreen:

Before I retired I was out there working on the railroad when I became hungry and had to find some place to eat so upon the suggestion of a local I was fortunate enough to find a good steak. Of course I had to avert my eyes lest I become contaminated by the sights before me? :jawdrop:

Food was good though.

Flint

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I'm driving with my wife I will often see a Vee and for some reason I can spot them way before they are really distinguishable. Something about how tall they are and the headlights. Anyway, I'll say "there's a Vstrom". I'm almost always right, and my wife thinks that's pretty weird. I don't know why, they just stand apart to me.

Anyone else have that V-radar?

·
Registered
251 Posts
thanks brownmichael.....

I appreciate the invite but I retired 3 years ago and probably won't be getting sent out there any more?

Gotta tell ya though I did have one great steak at the Acropolis. :hurray:

Flint

1 - 17 of 17 Posts