StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting thing happen as I pulled up to work this morning on my Vee. I have just transferred to a new office and pulled into the parking lot next to an Indian. After I had removed my helmet and was taking off my jacket I heard someone call out, “is it suppose to get cold today?”

I looked around and the Indian rider was standing in the smoking area with his beanie helmet under his arm and said, “You’re the third bike rider I’ve seen this morning with a jacket on and I wondering if I missed the news about a cold front coming through?”

Told him it was just a habit I got into a long time ago and like the feel of it. He ask wasn’t I hot in my leather jacket and I said with all these holes in it, it wasn’t bad. I wear a perforated leather jacket. He looks at the Vee and says something about a rice burner and I looked at him and said “you bet-cha”. Before he could say anything else a co-worker came up and wanted to look at my bike. Before long I had 6 or 8 guys standing around looking at the Vee (including the Indian rider) and asking questions about it. All liked the way it looks and had favorable things to say about it except the Indian rider and another guy I didn’t know that wanted to tell everyone how dangerous motorcycles are. No one paid any attention to the Indian at all. As we were breaking up to go inside, someone remarked about the JC Whitney trunk’s Maltese cross. I told them it was interesting, having a German symbol on a Chinese trunk on a Japanese bike. Everyone went into work with a smile on their face from that one.

So far I've had to take two other persons out to look at the bike so far today.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm guessing you are talking about an Indian motorcycle, haha.

yeah, I had a conversation with a guy at the filling station one time like this-

guy: "Is that a BMW?
response: "nah, it's a V-strom"
guy: "WTF is that?"

I just laughed and walked out

·
I rock at logic
368 Posts
I am one of two people, out of about thirty bikers where I work, that ride in gear. It's been hot as hell here with temps in the upper eighties and dew points around 70, but I refuse to ride "naked".

I get a lot of weird looks, but nobody has said anything yet.

I hate those "rice burner?" questions, they're so antiquated and ignorant.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I am one of two people, out of about thirty bikers where I work, that ride in gear. It's been hot as hell here with temps in the upper eighties and dew points around 70, but I refuse to ride "naked".

I get a lot of weird looks, but nobody has said anything yet.

I hate those "rice burner?" questions, they're so antiquated and ignorant.
Upper 80's? hell, I'm still in my winter gear at that...!

(ok, maybe a little exaggeration :mrgreen:)

Wife and I took a ride from Atl. to Charleston this past weekend. Temps mostly in the mid-to-upper 90's. w/ humidity to match. Ain't nuthin' going to keep you cool in that weather, but we survived OK with full mesh gear. We did get a lot of weird looks also (especially from the riders w/out helmets in SC), but only one person asked if we were hot. 'Yes, or course! It was hot being outside period!'

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's in the mid 80's with humidity at 90% at 6:30am when I ride in and mid 90's with the same humidity at 5:30 when I leave for home. I really get some looks in leather, but it's really not too bad as long as I'm moving.

·
Registered
981 Posts
It's been hot as hell here with temps in the upper eighties and dew points around 70, but I refuse to ride "naked". I get a lot of weird looks, but nobody has said anything yet.
FirstGear Kilimanjaro + Florida + August = lots of funny looks. This time of year it's hot and rainy almost every day, but I don't know which is worse...wet from the rain or wet from the sweat.

Grats Trickyrick for being a good example of why we ride Stroms. The bike is only half the equation.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
FirstGear Kilimanjaro + Florida + August = lots of funny looks. This time of year it's hot and rainy almost every day, but I don't know which is worse...wet from the rain or wet from the sweat.
I don't mind the Kiliminjaro up to 90 degrees as long as the dew point is under 60.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My two mantra's:

"I'd rather sweat than bleed"

"If it's too hot for ATGATT, it's too hot to ride"

Yes I know, easy for someone from Coastal California to say, but it was true for me even as a young man growing up riding in Tucson...

·
Registered
79 Posts
"Yeah, it's warm. But the pavement doesn't really that much softer when it's hot out."

I am getting tired of people asking if I'm wearing snowmobile pants though.
(Fieldsheer Apollo pants - and not recommended: If you're going to wear pants that don't breathe, they should at least be waterproof. If they had just taped the seams they would be waterproof, but as is, your butt gets soaked through the seams.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Gear + 95 degree's + humidity

I went on a 200 mile ride last Sunday with 8 other bikers. All but two of us were on Harley's. I had boots, pants, jacket with vent's, gloves and full face HJC AC-12 Carbon. I don't know how many times I was ask "Aren't you hot?" Yeah, it's hot out. With a damp shirt and wind going through the vents, I was just fine. Monday at work, one of the guy's I work with, (that had no gear on except for a dew rag), had a sun and wind burnt face and arms. I sure wanted to ask - Aren't you hot??

·
Registered
324 Posts
I always try to read the people I tell about my bike... my enthusiasm is such that I'd really tell any little old lady about the bike, but sometimes you can tell certain kinds of bikers just don't want to validate your choice... in which case I don't elaborate.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I also get asked this at least a few times a day on warmer days. Now I've just started in on a spiel about how my motor port pants are made out of Kevlar, and then show how you can see daylight through them and then say its very cool unless I'm sitting still. Its also fun to explain how its cooler to wear gear when the temp is above 95. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I gave up on the Kilimanjaro above 85. I am still keeping it around because I love the 3/4 length and it fits great, but I have since purchased a silver Olympia Airglide and very happy with it.

Everyone who asks me if I am hot always get the standard reply - It is better than a skin graft.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
The skin graft response is my favorite and most used, but every once in a while when I am feeling ornery I just say 'if you cagers would just learn how to drive i might be able to wear something a little cooler than this'. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I get the BMW comments often myself, so much so that I've found it's easier to say it's "like" a BMW when someone asks what kind of bike I ride. Since otherwise, they can't seem to understand it's neither a sportbike nor a cruiser.

·
Registered
981 Posts
One day, getting gas, two fellas came up from behind and I could hear them talking. They thought I had a sportbike and as they came around to the side I got that "WTF" look. Some of the best conversations I've had started with that look.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I came out from work a couple weeks ago and started getting geared up for the ride home. A woman sitting in a van nearby said "hey, it's the owner of the blue bike!". You have to understand, there were about 5 other bikes out there- mostly nice newer Hardleys, and a couple sport bikes. They said my bike was pretty! I think I gave THEM the WTF look that time, haha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts