StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
goTenna | Text & GPS on your phone, even without service.

goTenna turns your iPhone or Android into an off-grid communications tool, enabling you to text & share GPS locations on detailed offline maps. goTenna is lightweight, weather-proof, and easy to use. goTenna is sold in pairs — 2, 4, 6 or more! — so you can stay connected to at least one friend (and anyone else using goTenna).

Each pair comes with 2 micro-USB charging cables. goTenna apps and offline maps are free to download. goTenna comes with a 1-year limited warranty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is definitely nwo on my goodie list--would've been very handy for my buddy and I last year when we were touring upstate NY in the mountains with very limited cell service.

·
Super Moderator
13,058 Posts
Cool concept.. thanks for sharing!

I like the mesh idea.. I hope they sell lots as the mesh concept depends o nlots of users and could provide a completely independent ad-hoc network like the original concept of the Web but wirelessly.

..Tom

·
Registered
315 Posts
Cool idea if everyone in your group had one. I'm kind of thinking Ham radios would be more useful within a small group or on your own, you could reach out into the non-goTenna world. I wouldn't trust either one if I had to call a medic in the middle of nowhere. Personal Locating Beacons (PLBs) or Spot/Delorme would have a better chance of calling in the cavalry.

I probably read too many threads on this on Horizons Unlimited. :surprise: :grin2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's a cool idea. I do think though that for most use cases, a motorola makes more sense than adding an RF antenna to a cell phone :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts