StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on Slavens Racing website. A very simple tool to make sure the chain adjustment is correct. Yes, I realize this tool is intended for KTM and Husqvarna motos but the idea of it interests me.

Link to Slavens Racing website's video:

https://slavensracing.com/shop/chain-adjustment-block-by-tworide/

Has anyone made something similar for the DL1000 and/or the DL650?

JathkaJoe

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts
Guys have talked about adjusting their chain to the correct slack and then cutting a small block of wood to just fit between chain and swingarm. The only issue is to ensure that the block is made in such a way that it fits in the same location every time i.e. up against the plastic chain slider.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes indeed, that is a good idea and as they say " simple is best ".

I have one particular bike that is laborious to assess chain slack on using the method in the handbook. However for easy checking I have noted a reference point on the lower chain guard that the chain will reach if adjusted properly when the bottom run is pulled down. If it is is level with that point when viewed from the side, then it is in adjustment. If it goes beyond I need to adjust. Same idea, just a different way of assessing

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I have a piece of stiff wire that hooks over the V2's frame at the pillion pegs, it then slips into the chain, I lift the chain with one finger and adjust the slack until the chain reaches the marks I have made on the wire.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I've got a chain adjusting tool attached to the end of my leg.

Push up the chain about the middle of the swingarm and if it just touches the swing arm good to go.

It's a chain, looser is better than tighter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spec: I'll have to see if that works with my boots. (I can see a heated discussion on this looming: What kind of boot? Left or right foot? Etc.) What kind of fish is that in your avatar? I spent a lot of years killing fish for a living.

Locoblanco: Oil tanned leather boots solves that, not much shine on most of them, although with effort you can get them to shine.

JathkaJoe

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I have considered teaching my wife how to lube and adjust my chains just to take the pressure off me and put it on her.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Will she wear a thong and polish it too? What's wrong with the 1.2" play recommended in the owners manual? Need a calculator for that too? Never mind I'm just old, politically incorrect and sarcastic.🏍💨

1 - 11 of 11 Posts