StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an interesting conversation with my Safeco insurance agent. He said that $3000 of aftermarket parts were covered at no extra cost if they were individually scheduled. That means that I need to make a list of all the aftermarket parts I have on my strom, along with values, and have that added to my policy. With Safeco, $1000 of protective apparel, including the helmet ($500 max) is covered without listing it and on top of the $3k of equipment.

Other insurance companies do it differently. Check to be sure all your farkles are covered for crash or theft, and list them with the agent if your policy requires it.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You have to read the fine print in your policy and confirm with your agent. The increased value would not be the case with Safeco if the farkles had not been listed on the policy. If the insurance won't pay for them, you can always ask for the undamaged ones to be returned to you. Even in less than a total loss, damaged farkles will be paid if the policy covers them...and that depends on how the policy is worded.

So, for me, with Safeco, I need to list Ricor Intiminator damping valves, Sasquatch shock, Rich's seat, Eastern Beaver this & that, CalSci windscreen, Madstad bracket, Givi luggage & rack, etc., including the shipping cost of each as part of the value of each item.

· Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I have something similar on my policy however where they catch u (to some extent) is that the total max value they will insured in the event of a write-off is still $xxxxx including the bike itself, which may still be less than the market value of all the farkles and bike

· Registered
164 Posts
Progressive is good for that too. I didn't have to schedule the farkles on my policy, just prove what they were and what they're worth when it came time for them to pay out.
+1

The Progressive agent just googled my farkles. He couldn't find/ID my JC Whitney topcase...said the Givi was the closest he found and gave me credit for a new Givi!

I have something similar on my policy however where they catch u (to some extent) is that the total max value they will insured in the event of a write-off is still $xxxxx including the bike itself, which may still be less than the market value of all the farkles and bike
I think that varies by state. He told me that in Virginia he takes the book value and adds new, retail value of any upgrades to arrive at the actual value used in determining whether its totaled or not. I got more in my settlement than I paid for the bike (w/o farkles), did the work myself with salvaged parts, and spent the rest on more farkles.

· Registered
858 Posts
our gear is protected up to 1500 dollars per person, but the farkles are seperate. The way our policy works our insurance agent said they are covered by our homeowners/renters insurance as possessions rather than part of the vehicle.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
our gear is protected up to 1500 dollars per person, but the farkles are seperate. The way our policy works our insurance agent said they are covered by our homeowners/renters insurance as possessions rather than part of the vehicle.
I'd want to see that in writing. Maybe personal stuff that is damaged or lost (camera, etc.) would be covered under a homeowner's policy, but motor vehicle accessories that are bolted to the vehicle?...I kind'a doubt that. What does the fine print in your homeowner's policy say?

· Registered
557 Posts
I'd want to see that in writing. Maybe personal stuff that is damaged or lost (camera, etc.) would be covered under a homeowner's policy, but motor vehicle accessories that are bolted to the vehicle?...I kind'a doubt that. What does the fine print in your homeowner's policy say?
It might not be "wrong", but wouldn't that make it 2 claims and 2 deductibles since they are different policies?

· Registered
230 Posts
Not available to you in Washington State, but I use Riders Ins here in Pennsylvania. Full coverage with upgraded limits, and provided with any full coverage policy is $8000 in accessories coverage.

They provide coverage for:
Indiana
Maryland
New Jersey
Ohio
Pennsylvania
West Virginia

My liability is set at:
$100,000 Bodily Injury - Each Person
$300,000 Bodily Injury - Each Accident
$50,000 Property Damage
I also use Uninsured and Underinsured Liability Motorist Coverage, and I stack my coverage with 3 bikes insured at the above limits.

From the policy:
Up to $8,000 in accessory coverage is included on all policies with the Quality-Plus Package insuring a non-sport bike or non-high performance bike 551ccs or over, at no additional cost. This includes customized parts and equipment, paint, helmet coverage, safety apparel and trip interruption.
Also included is roadside assist:
Roadside Assistance coverage is included on all policies. It provides towing in the event your motorcycle is disabled.

Towing up to 35 miles
Mechanical or electrical breakdown
Battery Jumpstart
Flat tire towing (up to 35 miles)
Lockout
Emergency delivery of fuel, oil, water or other fluids (does not include cost of fluids).
Prices were surprisingly low compared to State Farm (My pal is a State Farm rep and insisted I let him get me a price) and also much lower than the company I use for my cars/trucks/home. I was really happily surprised at the rates. I'm paying under $600 for 3 bikes with full coverage as described.

· Registered
93 Posts
Wow. Don't know about you in Michigan, but down here, I'm fairly sure that most homeowners' policies would not cover items made a part of a vehicle. I'd even be concerned about items stolen from the bike (helmet and such) being covered by homeowners (unless you claimed they were stolen from your back porch).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.