StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm gettin' me a Wee this weekend. I'm getting online insurance quotes everywhere I can, and boy, are there ever some HUGE differences. Like, same coverage from one vendor is literally more than twice as much as from another vendor.

I like cheap, but not at the cost of crappy service. Please share your stories on "I got cheap insurance from X but their service sucked when I had a claim" or "I paid more at Y but they treated me a lot better" or what have you. I'm in Los Angeles (the Valley), if that makes any difference. And I'm looking at how much having a LoJack will reduce premiums.

I'm leaning towards having pretty high coverage, 'cause I'm a family man and I'm paranoid. So, like $250k/$500k/$100k, underinsured/uninsured motorist protection, Comprehensive with maybe a $500 deductible, collision maybe if the premiums are low enough. (2011 for $3200) My last motorcycle, I was with State Farm, and they treated me well. And is it worth joining the AMA for discounts on premiums etc.?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and should I have insurance arranged before I buy the bike and take it home? Or just take care of it the next day?

·
Registered
580 Posts
State Farm FTW in my opinion! They've insured all my bikes (and vehicles, and homes, and my businesses) since the early 90's, have always done right by me, and have always been less expensive than any others when I've bothered to check.

·
Registered
22,241 Posts
service really depends on your local claims adjuster, all insurance companies have good ones and they have dickheads, you won't know till you have to make a claim, or talk to your local dealer, ask em which insurance companies have good adjusters in your area, and which have dickheads

go for cheap, but compare apples to apples, same deductibles, limits of liability, exclusions, etc.

be sure to read the exclusions, some may be accessible to you some not, for instance, my policy would not cover me on a track day, but I don't do em, so I don't care, if I did track days I would be looking for another company

·
Registered
580 Posts
FYI, "track days" are literally be considered "training" and so can be covered under insurance! You're absolutely not racing; simply honing your skills. For real!

·
Registered
22,241 Posts
FYI, "track days" are literally be considered "training" and so can be covered under insurance! You're absolutely not racing; simply honing your skills. For real!
my exclusion doesn't say anything about racing, my policy excludes "closed course events", I can street race all day long, and most importantly participate in Iron Butt Association competitive events, but a track day is on a closed course........ not covered, no matter what it's called

·
Registered
59 Posts
When it's come up, most of the guys I ride with have Progressive (I part time with some plated dirt bikers). AAA doesn't offer moto insurance in my area, but offers a bundle rate with all the other insurance policies I have through Progressive. I went through the agony of price shopping a couple of years ago and found it hard to beat the bundle. When they raise the rates, my wife calls them on their bs. It's amazing how they can come up with ways of discounting costs if you ask.

·
Registered
124 Posts
DAIRYLAND!
Personally don't think they can be beat. At one time I was paying $18.00 year on one of my bikes (multiple bike discount and had insurance with them over a year so you get a discount). They specialize in motorcycles.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm with Progressive and I have "full coverage" but not sure about the specifics $10k liability, $30k each accident and $1k deductible on my 2012 650 for $60 per year.

·
Registered
22,241 Posts
I'm with Progressive and I have "full coverage" but not sure about the specifics $10k liability, $30k each accident and $1k deductible on my 2012 650 for $60 per year.

that's not insurance, $10k won't even cover a helicopter ride to the hospital. State minimums were set in most states 50 years ago, and are not adequate for today's costs

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have Geico. My coverage limits are less than what you’re looking for but the premiums are very reasonable. I have three bikes covered with comprehensive coverage. I added a fourth bike last night, a ‘91 dr350 with liability coverage only. That added vehicle cost me $10 for 12 months. I’d suggest getting a quote from them for the coverage you require.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
I think motorcyclists need good coverage for uninsured motorist. It can cover lost wages, pain and suffering, medical. Not all insurers offer it or offer realistic limits. I also carry air med insurance only because it was so inexpensive. (AirMedCare network)

state farm, home, auto, another bike, for the strom, 6 month policy so double for 1 year
total 159.80 (x 2 = 319.60)

liability
bodily injury 500,000/500,000
property damage 5000 20.22

1000 deductible comprehensive 28.06

1000 deductible collision 30.29

uninsured motor vehicle
bodily injury 500,000/500,000 75.81
property damage 5.42

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I ended up going with State Farm. 1) They had pretty close to the cheapest quote for the kind of insurance I was asking for. 2) I had them for my last bike, and also for our auto and home insurance while we were here previously in the US (2008-14). 3) One summer in that period when we were back in BC, someone hit our minivan's rear bumper trying to get out of being parallel parked behind us, and State Farm handled the claim great even allowing for all the potential cross-border hassles.

But I got high liability/injury coverage, and heavy uninsured/underinsured coverage. I remember a ways back hearing that as many as one-third of all drivers in California don't have any insurance at all, and many of the rest just have the minimums.

Edited to add:

Liability - Bodily Injury / Property Damage
$250,000 each person / $500,000 each accident / $100,000 each accident

Comprehensive Deductible
$500

Collision Deductible
$1,000

Uninsured Motor Vehicle - Bodily Injury
$250,000 each person / $500,000 each accident

Uninsured Motor Vehicle - Property Damage
$1,000

Total Premium $361.12/6 months = $60.19/mo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts