StromTrooper banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
So Allstate did their job and fought for you. Wow! The other driver's insurance had the obligation to make you whole again through their liability coverage.
The other driver was an employee of a mid-size trucking company, with more resources than I, and without the help of my insurance company I would have had an uphill battle at best.
But as I said, everyone has a story to tell, and I don't doubt others have had negative experiences with an insurance company, any company. I was fortunate that they helped when they had no financial incentive to do so.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I had Progressive Insurance on two bikes a DR650 and a FJR1300 registered in western NC back around 2007, plus a big toy hauler 5th wheel. After about 3 years they jumped the policy cost on the two bikes up over $1,000, no claim, no tickets, nada. So I went back to Allstate with a family discount and it was much cheaper even when I registered in Atlanta, GA.

Allstate was horrible to deal with though, the body shop said it was normal. They fought everything. I wanted OEM parts on the body work. Not some thin flimsy knock off parts. Eventually I got the truck fixed kinda correctly, but it was a fight. Allstate was horrible when my parents had home damage, they wouldn't fix the house after water damage. Almost had to take them to court, but the insurance commisioner complaint worked and they covered the carpet finally. Switched to Alpha!

Alpha has been okay on the house claims and they covered my truck when a tree fell on it. We had about $60,000 in claims one year and it was slow but they eventually made us whole. But they went way up on the rates state wide, so we went to Safeco a few years ago.

SafeCo has been reasonable rate wise here in Alabama, the claims process has been fine too. No issues really and we went through a major claim after tornado damage. We have multiple things with SafeCo now, never had a motorcycle claim though. They do have medical coverage on bikes, I like having that coverage with the little deductible. The old DL1000 is around $220 per year, I think that's cheap with the medical coverage.

Rural Alabama is actually a little more than the Atlanta metro. They say there is more auto and bike theft in rural Alabama, go figure. But, I can recommend SafeCo here in the SE US, best experience with an insurance company by far. They have gone up on the rates, but its understandable with the storms lately. The claims process was good on the house, we lost the roof to straight line winds. No auto or bike claims though Safeco, hopefully won't have any!

·
Registered
88 Posts
There's something weird about the rating on this bike. I pay less than $200 a year for a Triumph Trophy and my $378 a year for the Strom. That's crazy, the Triumph cost $18,000 and has 135 hp while the Strom cost $7600 and has 70 hp. That doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've had State Farm exclusively for about 30 years and the only time they've raised my rates at all was after the widespread flooding in Houston awhile back and it wasn't much. Maybe after Katrina but if it went up then it also wasn't by very much. Can't really remember as that was 15 years ago. Even in those cases, I got a notice in the mail well in advance explaining that my premiums were going up and why.

Otherwise, my premiums creep down as they should the older my insured vehicles get. I have no complaints with them at all. In all those years I've only filed one claim when a passing semi ran me off the road in the middle of a blizzard at night in a Toyota Tacoma and I hit one of those mile marker signs that put a big crease in my driver's door.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
There's something weird about the rating on this bike. I pay less than $200 a year for a Triumph Trophy and my $378 a year for the Strom. That's crazy, the Triumph cost $18,000 and has 135 hp while the Strom cost $7600 and has 70 hp. That doesn't make sense.
Strom likely has a higher risk rating - ie more people crash them, tip them over.
Are the liability rates similar on both bikes and just the comp/collision is higher?

Both my dl1000 and my FZ1 cost about $100 a year for 300K worth of liability and no comp/collision. I was surprised that the FZ1 was not a lot higher since it is a much faster/powerful bike.

And my experience is the same as muleskinners with state farm. In general the rates have remained constant/gone down as my vehicles have gotten older (the ones with comp/collision on them). Only exception was the boat, that is insured elsewhere since state farm boat rates are pretty high.

·
Registered
242 Posts
ICBC was reasonable when it came into being by the NDP government of the day, then it went to the FAIR system in the '80s which meant that new drivers shouldn't pay more for insurance then seasoned drivers. Then the NDP made it possible for BC governments to raid the larder by changing the insurance legislation in the early '90s. Now we have an NDP government that is crying foul because of it.

ICBC gives you the illusion of having lower insurance by giving these percentage reductions depending on driving record. ICBC is not an inexpensive insurance. No competition, no savings. That's why I like older bikes. My Gold Wings are 25 years and older, and I have collectors insurance that allows me to ride them whenever, wherever as long as it is not for work (no limit on number of Kms) - I'm retired. My two Gold Wings cost less to insure than my 2012 Vee.

I see posts about Canada and its free health insurance. We have a three tiered system. Everyone has basic health care and it varies from province to province as to what is provided as it is a provincial responsibility. The Federal government sets guidelines, but in essence just sends money. Second tier is those who have health care coverage. Third tier is those who can afford to pay for health services regardless of where they are or what coverage they have.

Remember being in Palm Springs one winter a few years back and Obamacare was a hot topic. Overheard a conversation where the person mentioned that he would not like to pay for someone else's health care. Fair enough; however, my question would be that if the US Federal government is doling out so much money for health care, and I did not have basic coverage, where is the money going and who is getting rich on my tax dollars? Just saying.

Have a Great Canadian Day!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I personally find it okay considering the excellent quality of life we have. Could some things be improved, sure, but on the whole Canada is an incredible country to live in.

Insurance I a statics game. I'd venture to guess there are more claims on V-Stroms than on Triumph Trophies hence the higher rate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Insurance I a statics game. I'd venture to guess there are more claims on V-Stroms than on Triumph Trophies hence the higher rate.
By the same token, they are collecting insurance from far more Vstrom's to put in their coffers & cover the costs.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
By the same token, they are collecting insurance from far more Vstrom's to put in their coffers & cover the costs.
You have to look at a bit bigger picture. If there is in increased number of one certain vehicle on the road statically there should be a higher amounts of accident this certain vehicle is involved in. If all damage incurred during an accidents were limited to only mechanical that would be great but unfortunately there are a lot of accidents where people get hurt and require some sort of hospitalization with others ending in death or dismemberment.

There's no doubt that insurance companies make money. They are a business and making money is part of a successful business. It funny how people view things like "profit".

On one side of the coin its great to work for a profitable company. It means better job security, higher wage rate, bonus's, better working environment. Then you have the devil insurance companies that if they "profit" people act like they are taking food out of you mouth. Why is okay for one to profit but not the other?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
A lot more people who have a propensity to dump top heavy bikes. Or maybe the average Vstrom is used for more miles per year - resulting in greater likelyhood of a claim.

I will say that the only bike I've ever dropped is my DL1000. Was backing it out of my garage into the grass and stepped in a small hole. The COG is so high compared to every other bike I have ever owned that once it started going there was no catching it. Luckily it was in the grass and didn't do anything to the bike.

Not to mention the bikes are tall and a lot of people are short - which is also going to lead to potential issues that wouldn't happen on a bike that was appropriately sized for the rider.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm tall and I have to walk my DL1000 out of its parking spot in front of my vehicle and even after doing that hundreds of times it's still an unnatural feeling. I have to turn it at the same time. I always feel like I need to stay really close to it and I'm always afraid I'm going to let the front wheel ride up on my left foot. I've never let that happen, but it's the most awkward bike to walk/push around I've ever owned. The wide bars don't help any.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Brian, I've found that you might as well expect to need to renegotiate your insurance company at least every two years. I moved away from Progressive about five years ago to Liberty mutual, because I'd been with Progressive for seven or eight years and the rates just kept going up. Two years later I had to go back to Progressive due to the same thing happening at Liberty.

Insurance companies are all huge companies who really only care about the bottom line and the reasons they do what they do when they do it rarely can be explained to us mere humans. Changing companies every couple of years is just the only way to keep your rates as low as possible. Ignore their ads because they are all basically the same.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know this thread is pretty old but I thought I would add my 2 cents. I live in Edmonton Alberta and have my auto and bike insurance with The Personal. I am 71 years old and before I was retired I rode my bike 24 Kms each way to work. I always rode older bikes so only carried 1,000,000 liability. When riding my ST1100 or my GL1100 my rate was $8.50 per month. Now on the wee I pay $6.50 per month. No riding to work but about 15,000 Kms per year.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just put public liability insurance on, no fire or theft etc. It can be a bit of a gamble but so far so good. Got tired of the big bill by the time I paid for full coverage on all the bikes, quads and vehicles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here in Ontario there has been a marked increase in cars speeding and stunt driving during Covid. Most of those charged were driving with no insurance. Just a reminder to always add on the uninsured driver endorsement to your policy. It doesn't cost much but it could save you and your family a fortune.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here in Ontario there has been a marked increase in cars speeding and stunt driving during Covid. Most of those charged were driving with no insurance. Just a reminder to always add on the uninsured driver endorsement to your policy. It doesn't cost much but it could save you and your family a fortune.
Good point. Just to clarify, my $6.50 per month includes mandatory uninsured driver and mandatory accident health benefits.

Mike

·
Registered
311 Posts
Good point. Just to clarify, my $6.50 per month includes mandatory uninsured driver and mandatory accident health benefits.

Mike
$6.50 a month wouldn't cover the GST on my policy. though i have full coverage and a couple million liability.

when i was selling my last bike they wouldn't let me drop it to fire and theft. said the Ontario government doesn't allow it, i call BS but what are you gonna do?

·
Registered
36 Posts
$6.50 a month wouldn't cover the GST on my policy. though i have full coverage and a couple million liability.

when i was selling my last bike they wouldn't let me drop it to fire and theft. said the Ontario government doesn't allow it, i call BS but what are you gonna do?
Well you could move to Alberta. :D Just so know I have lived in Labrador, Ontario and every province west of there. Not province bashing just having fun. I think everywhere is great.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got a quote from the Personal (got two cars and my house with them) for a 2017 Strom 650 at just under $800/yr outside Toronto. Any better options?

61 - 80 of 87 Posts