StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:jawdrop: Has anyone else noticed the high insurance rates for the new V-Strom? In march when I went from 2010 Tiger 1050 to the new Strom my insurance doubled! I have Allstate for autos, home and bike so I thought it was strange going from just over $300.00 to over $600.00 per year for the same coverage. I called Progressive, Nationwide and a couple others and all were in the same ballpark. Answer I received from most was that the new Strom was now in a sport bike category! I'm like well OK what is the difference between the Tiger and the Strom? Both the same type of bike: Adventure, Sport Touring. Also this is with a spotless driving record in Virginia. Did something change? Anyone experiencing the same with higher rates? Stoopy you're in Northern VA, how are your rates on the new Strom?
Anyway love the bike and now have 1600 miles on Woody after this weekend. Getting better with each ride!

Later
FastLane

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Humm.....I have Geico insurance. Went from a 2003 Honda ST1300 to a 2013 DL650, and my insurance went down $30.00 a year for the same coverage. Yea, both are considered a "sport bike" :what:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Mine stayed at $428 through Hartford. I was a bit shocked, as this was my premium for the 11 wee strom and the 09 Triumph America I just traded. Oh well, lusting has it's price.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Does this mean insurance for the pre '12 stroms are going down? Ha, ha. Two places that never lose money, insurance companies and lawyers...:beatnik:

Reactions: Brojon

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Anyone experiencing the same with higher rates? Stoopy you're in Northern VA, how are your rates on the new Strom?
My rates are about what you quoted and similar to what I was already paying on my '09 Wee. I'm with Progressive. Definitely believe they have V-Stroms in the sportbike category.

This just underscores the point that with two V-Stroms in the garage I think it might be time to change one of them out for a Honda Grom....and it ain't gonna be the Veek! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa and pay $525 for insurance through State Farm here in Chicago and bought the first 2014 V-strom 1000 out of Carol Stream. my insurance is more than the World's fastest sport bike? WTF! I am paying $575 for the Vee2. whats even more nuts is with my two bikes, I have a 1969 SS Nova, 2007 Bass Tracker Tournament V-18, and a 2012 Jeep Wranger 4 door. my prices are with the discounts!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Chiming in from the world of expensive insurance, we have ICBC (Ins. Corp. of) here in BC. My basic for 6 months is around $470. Then I just picked up extended which covers lots of everything else including trip coverage from a new company called Echelon for $300.

·
Registered
525 Posts
i guess im screwed ,i have full coverage (in nyc) mine went up from 57 to 170!!!!
wtf!!! any advice (i use progressive)

EDIT: went to all state dropped $50 a month

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Wow, I need to call my Ins comp. I sat on a Khaki '14 today.

I paid $29 a month for my '06 Vee, When I bought my '09 Wee I got a multi discount so the Vee dropped to $24 and the Wee was $19 a month, When I sold the Vee my Wee went up to $22 a month.

I have American Family Insurance. I think some of you have a phone call to make in the morning.

Course I insure my Home, Shop and property with Horse's, Horse trailer, Car trailer, Utility trailer, '97 36foot class A RV, '97 Tahoe, '02 Avalanche and '08 Cobalt and the Wee. and a $1 million Personal excess Liability policy. All through the same agent.

I pay just under $500 a month for all my coverage

·
Registered
566 Posts
the only thing more worthless than an oil thread is an insurance thread
My current moto insurance company raised my rates from $550 (year 1) to $690 ( year 2) to a proposed $850 (this coming year, all years for multiple bikes, maxed on uninsured coverage). That was enough to drive me in search of another quote. I found that GEICO will allow riders to put their bikes into storage for up to 6 mos, effectively charging only for the months that we ride. Not sure if other carriers do the same. News to me...

·
Registered
858 Posts
Mine was right at $650 with Progressive. I didn't know they were classed as a sports bike. Of course they do it just to justify the screwing.
Just like they use credit reports to jack rates - any undergrad stats class will drill into your head that correlation does not imply causation..
Every year I send a email to the insurance commission - every year they decline to rock the boat.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Rider insurance is the best I've found in terms of low rates. I pay $624 for my 2015 V2 and 2015 650XT and that's for everything. $750 deductible I chose.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You must shop around for insurance!!!
Paid CAD640.- per year for a KTM Superduke just for basic.
Shopped insurance for my 2014 V-Strom and had prices from 880.- to 1550.- per year with full coverage. Last and most expensive one had the VStrom in the SPORTBIKE category:crying2::crying2:
880.- for 12 months with full coverage was the best I could find:wink2:here in Nova Scotia.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I bought the V-Strom I got an insurance quote via Progressive, they quoted me $1500 a year for full coverage. Yes, you read that right, one thousand five hundred bucks. NUTS! Progressive gave me the same "sports bike" BS...

I called Geico, and for the exact same coverage they quoted me $403 a year, a whole 1100 dollars cheaper! Guess who's insuring my bike now?

·
Registered
275 Posts
$650 CDN in Ontario with full coverage incl theft

1 - 20 of 52 Posts