StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the market for my annual insurance renewal. I’ve got a pretty good health insurance thru my employer, so I wonder: Do I heed to pay for Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury option? It seems like all hospital bills would be paid by my health insurance (I asked them directly – they do cover motorcycle accidents). What strommers think? Any personal experience?

Here is the definition of Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury option:
Protects you, your relatives, and occupants of a covered vehicle if any of these insured sustain bodily injury, including any resulting death, in an accident in which the owner or operator of a motor vehicle who is legally liable does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance.​

·
Registered
464 Posts
If it costs a little bit more, it may be worth it just in case.

Getting uninsured/underinsured protection will help you if someone hits you and totals your bike, but does not have insurance to pay all your bills & bike replacement. If someone does not have insurance, chances are you will have to sue them for your deductibles, etc, and chances are they will not have any money to pay you.

Read your insurance's fine print carefully. My first bike insurance company said that if I waive PIP, the deductible will be $15,000. Many health insurance companies will not cover injuries sustained while using recreational motorsports, so do your research carefully.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it costs a little bit more, it may be worth it just in case.

Getting uninsured/underinsured protection will help you if someone hits you and totals your bike, but does not have insurance to pay all your bills & bike replacement. If someone does not have insurance, chances are you will have to sue them for your deductibles, etc, and chances are they will not have any money to pay you.
I believe the bike repair/replacement should be covered by Collision coverage... The one I meant is "Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage" - it supposed to cover medical bills.

Read your insurance's fine print carefully. My first bike insurance company said that if I waive PIP, the deductible will be $15,000. Many health insurance companies will not cover injuries sustained while using recreational motorsports, so do your research carefully.
I asked Blue Cross rep about motorcycle accidents coverage. He told me any road accided will be covered. They won't cover the life flight though. Only if I'm uncontios or there is a life/limp loss thretening situation.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Exclusive of the annual/monthly premium of the coverage, you can't have too much.

Example- you take a header into a curb. Your $500 helmet does it's job and you live to tell about it, but it takes a month for you to get out of the hospital to share the story...

Again, you can't have too much insurance. $200k, 300k, 500k goes REALLY fast with extended stays in the ICU. Even worse- the one that has the extended stay is a loved one and the vehicle insurance (you are considering skipping) is the only thing paying (some) of their bills because they work part time for a non-profit social agency and they have no health insurance...

It's only money, you can't take it with you.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm on the market for my annual insurance renewal. I’ve got a pretty good health insurance thru my employer, so I wonder: Do I heed to pay for Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury option? It seems like all hospital bills would be paid by my health insurance (I asked them directly – they do cover motorcycle accidents). What strommers think? Any personal experience?

Here is the definition of Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury option:

Protects you, your relatives, and occupants of a covered vehicle if any of these insured sustain bodily injury, including any resulting death, in an accident in which the owner or operator of a motor vehicle who is legally liable does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance.​
It's worth every penny in the event your losses and/or injuries occur as a result of an uninsured driver's actions -or worse yet, a driver who flees the scene. Check with your agent and get the details.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you already have regular health through your employer, as an example, then having the Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury option would result in double coverage. And if that's the case, your insurance company will let your Health Insurance take the hit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Talk to your agent, shop around. Can't stress that enough. I left Allstate here in Utah to go to Farmers. Better insurance and lower rates. I had a friend get in a bad motorcycle accident, broken bones, rash, etc. Medical insurance covered all medical bills. The auto insurance didn't cover much at all, so they let the medical insurer take the hit even though the cage driver was at fault. I am certain this varies state by state too. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
166 Posts
MrSpock, like you, I'm a CA resident and have good MEDICAL (sic) coverage through my employer's group health plan. For those living outside the state of CA, there is a law on the books here that requires insurors to notify prospective insureds (is that even a word??) that they will have to specifically sign a waiver acknowledging that they are refusing un-/under-insured MEDICAL coverage. The requirement creates a lot of heartburn for those of us who don't understand insurance-speak.

I called Geico, my bike insuror, and they had one of their licensed CA agents speak with me. His explanation left a lot to be desired, but it came down to him being required to make specific statements that left the answer rather unclear, but essentially, with good health insurance, a rider doesn't need the un-/under-insured MEDICAL coverage from them.

I called my health plan, and they told me that I am fully covered for MEDICAL costs by them, to the limits of the policy, if I am injured in a motorcycle crash with an un-/under-insured motorist. Obviously, there is going to be a conversation in front of a judge between my insuror and the other party, but that won't be my problem.

I declined the un-/under-insured motorist MEDICAL coverage offered by Geico, and I sign their waiver every time the insurace is renewed. Saves me a little money for gas.

George

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MrSpock, like you, I'm a CA resident and have good MEDICAL (sic) coverage through my employer's group health plan. For those living outside the state of CA, there is a law on the books here that requires insurors to notify prospective insureds (is that even a word??) that they will have to specifically sign a waiver acknowledging that they are refusing un-/under-insured MEDICAL coverage. The requirement creates a lot of heartburn for those of us who don't understand insurance-speak.

I called Geico, my bike insuror, and they had one of their licensed CA agents speak with me. His explanation left a lot to be desired, but it came down to him being required to make specific statements that left the answer rather unclear, but essentially, with good health insurance, a rider doesn't need the un-/under-insured MEDICAL coverage from them.

I called my health plan, and they told me that I am fully covered for MEDICAL costs by them, to the limits of the policy, if I am injured in a motorcycle crash with an un-/under-insured motorist. Obviously, there is going to be a conversation in front of a judge between my insuror and the other party, but that won't be my problem.

I declined the un-/under-insured motorist MEDICAL coverage offered by Geico, and I sign their waiver every time the insurace is renewed. Saves me a little money for gas.

George
Thank you, George, you explained it pretty clear. It's exactly what I think. Unfortunatelly I don't have an agent to talk with. The insurance I'm with is Markel (a.k.a. Bike-Line.com) - they don't have a concept of an agent, just a phone line. The person on the phone just read me the definition from the paper and all the answers sounded alike. And yes, they faxed me the rejection form for this option. I think I'm going to decline this coverage. Especially because it covers only $15K per person. In case of a serious accident it's not gonna be enough to cover just the ER bill...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ok, do you have life insurance? Does everybody who might ride pillion with you have medical/life insurance? If not, this might be a nice option to have. If you have all those angles already covered take a pass.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I believe that here in the Peoples Republic of Minnesota, that it is Mandatory to carry Under Insured, Uninsured insurance. This is to protect those poor people, especially illegal residents that are not supposed to be driving. This way you pay their insurance!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thank you, George, you explained it pretty clear. It's exactly what I think. Unfortunatelly I don't have an agent to talk with. The insurance I'm with is Markel (a.k.a. Bike-Line.com) - they don't have a concept of an agent, just a phone line. The person on the phone just read me the definition from the paper and all the answers sounded alike. And yes, they faxed me the rejection form for this option. I think I'm going to decline this coverage. Especially because it covers only $15K per person. In case of a serious accident it's not gonna be enough to cover just the ER bill...
Yep, that is who I signed up with the first time. Markel's website is sneaky, they dont allow you to select all the details the first time, just the basics. They make you pay upfront, then send you all the options. After inquiring about PIP coverage and a few details, they said my rates were going to go from $147 per year to $900 per year. I emailed them and said they are sneaky bastards, and they replied with "Too bad, if you don't like us, get someone else".

I ended up going with UMU, getting full coverage for much less.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I never carry medical coverage in my car or bike because I have medical through my health insurance but in my stae you must have uninsured motorist coverage. It's not a matter of choice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I used to be an adjuster (ugh......., it sucked.) so I know a little about this. Medical Payments (medpay) covers only medical bills - bills you can point at - called "special damages" , and MedPay will cover those regardless of fault. It's usually in the 2-10k range, and sounds kinda like what you guys are talking about. Its just coverage for medical bills. This can be helpful depending on the state you live (another poster was correct - insurance is different from state to state.)

UM however, covers damages when the accident is the fault of someone else ---- but instead of just special damages (bills) it also covers general damages -i.e. "pain and suffering". So in effect, it works in the same way as liabilty cov'g, except it takes the place of another uninsured persons liability coverage. It also has the unique property in that it can stack on top of the liable partys liabilty coverage in the event they don't have enough cov'g to cover their accident with you (if they're at fault.)

Some states collision cov'g will cover accident with uninsureds, and in others you may have to spring for "UM - property damage" to cover accidents with an uninsured person.

That's a general outline, but for specifics, I'd check with your agent.

·
Registered
589 Posts
... It also has the unique property in that it can stack on top of the liable partys liabilty coverage in the event they don't have enough cov'g to cover their accident with you (if they're at fault.) ...
Most of what you said is dead on...but I wanted to point out that the whole stacking thing varies by state. In some states, you can't tap uninsured motorist coverage if the other party has ANY insurance, and you need separate underinsured motorists...then that limit is sometimes a ground-up limit, sometimes in addition to the other party's limits. You MUST check the policy language.

Also, someone said that if you have UM on your car you are covered on your bike. Again, this varies by state. Many policies specifically exclude coverage for particular types of situations. You need to check the policy language and/or check with the agent.

As to the OP question. I would absolutely get UM/UIM, especially in a state with a large uninsured population due to the economic damage coverage in addition to just medical. Still, 15/30 is hardly worth it. I wouldn't go below 100/300, and even that is thin IMO.

A final comment....sometimes when there is duplication of coverage, or it is unclear who is the responsible party, the insured only sees one company making payments and assumes that they "took the hit." What really happens is that the lawyers get together and hash out responsibility and pay their fair shares...or sue to get it. If they pay the money up front and then recover the money later from another company or person, that's referred to as subrogation.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, that is who I signed up with the first time. Markel's website is sneaky, they dont allow you to select all the details the first time, just the basics. They make you pay upfront, then send you all the options. After inquiring about PIP coverage and a few details, they said my rates were going to go from $147 per year to $900 per year. I emailed them and said they are sneaky bastards, and they replied with "Too bad, if you don't like us, get someone else".

I ended up going with UMU, getting full coverage for much less.
That is really strange. I had quite the opposite experience. First I made a bunch of quotes and purchased the insurance from Geico. In 2 days received it the mail with attached bill for additional $150. Called them for explanation, they fed me some bull crap about the small print on the website which sais they don't guarantee the the final price or something like this. I immidiatelly cancelled the whole thing. Made a quote on Bike-Line.com, called them and spokre with nice person, which confirmed the quote price. Purchased it online, printed temporary card, and had the package in the mail in 2 days.

BTW: What is "UMU"?

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I believe that here in the Peoples Republic of Minnesota, that it is Mandatory to carry Under Insured, Uninsured insurance. This is to protect those poor people, especially illegal residents that are not supposed to be driving. This way you pay their insurance!
I'm pretty sure it is mandatory in Ohio, also.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mr. Spock...in VA we have a strange law on the books that allows you to collect from both your health insurance and your bodily injury insurance rider on the bike policy, in the event of an accident. This could help pay for things like the deductible your primary health insurance doesn't want to pay or make up for some lost salary from a bad crash. Don't know if your state has the same laws related to that. But ask around and seee what you can find out. If your health insurance is a little sketchy ( I hate that word in this kind of context, but it conveys the meaning ) then the extra coverage may well help you get back on your feet after a nasty 'get off' as the Brits would say.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts