StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor Strom is dead. I ran it into a dirt bank and just got the estimate for the bike from my shop, $4500 to fix it. My question relates to how the insurance process works. I have many farkles that I would like to take off before I turn it into insurance (PCV, Scott's steering stabilizer, SW Motech centerstand, Fork brace, Corbin seat, ect.) I have Progressive insurance, maybe people have dealt with them before. Will they give me money for my farkles or should I pull them off before I file the claim? I have not called Progressive yet. My shop says I am fine to come down and take the stuff off before I call my insurance company, I'm thinking that is the way to go. If they would give me money for new stuff I guess I would take new stuff rather than pull my used stuff off. What have other people done?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Sorry 'bout the incident.......
Insurance may or may not pay what the add-on items are worth. I've been through the "got receipts for that" dance before. Stuff you mentioned is easy flip stuff. If it were me , I'd pull and sell.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you weren't injured.

I had to do this last November and it was painless on my end. I just called Progressive and told them I had a crash. Gave them the number to the tow yard and police report number.

They reimbursed me for the nada? value of the motorcycle and any farkles on it. They will pay you the amount it will take the replace the farkles. I had forgotten about some small items on my motorcycle and they didn't have pictures of everything so I didn't get money for that. I would make sure you point out every accessory that you paid for so that they can look for it. Also take lots pictures just in case and have receipts ready.

They also gave me money for all the gear I was wearing as well (think it was a $10 option). I sent them pictures of all of the gear I was wearing at the time and they paid for everything, even if it was not damaged.

Depending on the damage, it may also make sense to buy the motorcycle back and part it out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really have receipts because a lot of the items I bought used off this site. Do they require receipts? I can take pictures.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Real sorry about your get off.

In my case it was the other guys fault, but my insurance company dealt with me directly on my bike, farkles and gear. I think they went after the other guys company for reimbursement.

Progressive offered me a check that more than paid for the bike, as I had bought it, with 90% of it's farkles. For the remaining accessory items I had the receipts and they wrote a check for those too. They wrote a check for the retail value of all my gear too.

I had a Suzuki mechanic go over my bike, along side the insurance adjuster, and it worked out perfectly for me. From beginning to end Progressive and their people treated me really well. As I've said before, it was like dealing with real human beings. I cannot say enough good about that company.

I hope you have a good experience too.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
When I filed on a crash a couple years ago they gave me money for the GPS and windshield and top box, stuff that broke.. So yeah, they covered the farkys if they are broken. Asking them to cover crap you'er gonna keep is like stealing, huh?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't really have receipts because a lot of the items I bought used off this site. Do they require receipts? I can take pictures.
I think I sent them some receipts to make the claims faster. I believe that they will pay you for most of the farkles still. Send them your pictures and links to the farkles instead?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I filed on a crash a couple years ago they gave me money for the GPS and windshield and top box, stuff that broke.. So yeah, they covered the farkys if they are broken. Asking them to cover crap you'er gonna keep is like stealing, huh?
Asking them to pay for stuff I am going to keep is exactly like stealing, actually it's insurance fraud. I'm not interested in doing that, I just don't want to donate perfectly good farkles to my insurance company and not get any money in return.

·
Registered
108 Posts
As an FYI or FWIW: If you want your farkles, get them now. You will likely not be able to remove any items once the bike is taken to the wrecking yard/holding facility etc. Personally-I would take off the items because, some items on your bike may no longer be available, may have increased in price or may not be considered in the claim. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Photo's and/or receipts to verify.
On my FL policy with them, accessory coverage is included with comprehensive up to the first $3000. Check your declarations page .

If you went crazy with farkles, you can add additional accessory coverage.
I've got all my receipts, but not a bad idea to take photos of the extras

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have progressive and have had the same experience as Huy.
I got $ based on the replacement costs of all the farkles that were on the bike. I had pictures of the bike with all the stuff on it and that helped I think. I had NO receipts They were easy to deal with and I had a check in bout 5 days

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have Proggressive and totaled my Aprilia last month. My experience was like Huy's, they covered the bike, accessories, gear, towing/storage, and medical, they were very easy to work with and I got my money quickly. They base the value on NADA(?) which for my bike was $2500 more than Kelly Blue Book. I didn't have receipts for my accessories and gear (pipe, centerstand, helmet, jacket) but I just emailed my adjuster links to the items for sale online and got 100% of what I paid. My policy was paid up for the whole year but I was only 5 weeks into it, so they refunded the balance. Since the accident wasn't my fault they'll be going after the other persons insurance co. for the money, and I'll even get my deductible back. I have to say, Progressive was GREAT during the entire ordeal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
when i filed a claim 3 months ago (a woman on an SUV crossed a stop sign and knocked me over), my insurance company told me that anything except the bike itself( that is any accessories, gear or helmet) i should provide original receipt, if not then get it appraised by any motorcycle store minus 10% depreciation per year
-Example: my KBC SpeedDemon Helmet (didnt have receipt for)
got it appraised from a local motorcycle store for its catalog price
$279+15% tax - 1x10% = %288.75

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Most times, you get depreciated value unless you've specifically added replacement cost coverage. The need for original receipts can vary -- it's the ironclad way to prove value, but I've successfully sent links to manufacturer's web site's showing MSRP. The adjuster just has to have some way to prove value, and if they're using depreciation, they need to know when the item was purchased.

Sorry, but you gotta read your policy. :mrgreen:

It also depends on your goals -- do you just want to get max $$$$ and figure out what to do later, or are you very certain you're going to buy another Strom compatible with the farkles?

·
Registered
34 Posts
they really have to give you some fair, market based price on the bike. That's why NADA is so frequently used-it's an industry standard publication and it's updated all the time.

As to the farkles, those types of accessories are "replacement value." It's nice to have receipts and the claim rep will almost always ask for them, but the truth is that most of us simply do not have a vault where we store such things.

Nowadays the claims people all have access to a computer and they can check the internet for what the items will cost to replace. Believe me, they will find the cheapest price out there!! Keep in mind that many of the items that we put on our bikes come from the internet and have to be shipped. So, there should be an allowance made for shipping costs unless they are going to give you the retail price as if you were going into a store and walking out with your goodies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts