StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my instrument panel plastic pieces started separating somehow - not sure what that is about? There is a noticable gap there now; this can't be good for rainy days?

If I push on the driver-side a bit, the gap closes, like so:

Any ideas why that happened and how to fix it?

My theory is that a plastic latch that might be in there (above the instrument LED screen on the first photo, in the gap) broke because of vibrations, possibly caused by my homemade windscreen brakets which raised my windscreen quite a bit. It's weird though because even though I raised the screen that way - the force of the wind still pushes the whole thing in the same direction as when the screen is stock?

Is there a plastic latch in the middle there? I never took the instrument panel apart...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mine

My 2003 looks the same and I contributed it to heat....in fact, my dash got so hot one day....you can still see my thumb imprint and my fingerprint from where I touched it....and cursed. I had no idea how hot it was until it was too late. I try to never face my windscreen into the sun when I do have to park outside.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Mine does about the same thing. Don't worry about it. The plastic rivets in the corners and the plastic spears into rubber grommets are the only connections in the front. Facing a windscreen, especially a Givi, away from the sun so the reflection focuses on the dash is what brings the heat up.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks guys...

Nope, my bike does not sit in the sun a lot; I hear that Givi screen can focus the light to that part of the "dash" and it is I guess possible that my raised stocker does it too.

So - basically it sounds like this is not a possible electical issue due to water getting in there? I mean it does not look like a well sealed area to begin with - but I guess that was my primary reason for asking.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My K8 650 has a worse gap and I've got the short Suzuki Euro screen, haven't had any water problems with it yet even after washing the bike. I'm just putting it down to poor Suzuki build quality.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Put a Pat Walsh dash on and the area will be out of sight. It will also solve the sun problem on the plastic. Face away from the sun with a Givi screen, and it will fry hamburgers for dinner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts