StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my V is a 2013 DL650
Would love to hear from anybody who has had an issue with their speedo/ instrument display. A few weeks ago while out riding I got caught in the rain for a bout 3 hours. It was the first time I had ridden the bike in the wet. The speedo started dancing all over the place and the ABS light came on. I first thought it was mud in the front ABS tone wheel. But as I went on it got worse. The temp gauge wet to full hot yet the engine was cool and the fuel gauge showed empty but the tank was full. I cleaned the bike when I got home and did not ride for a couple of week, when I did the speedo started to work correctly again but after a while you could see a haze behind the glass. Well today speedo worked fine for about 4 hours then the rev counter stuck on
4,000rpm and the rest of the display went out completely.
If any body has had issue I would appreciate a reply and be interested to know if Suzuki came to the party and fixed it
Cheers

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
+1 Good luck

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sounds like a Regulator Rectifier? They played havoc with the electrics on many Honda's I've had. All sorts of funny shit happened but mostly when hot never cold and then they just died altogether. But Suzuki?

Actually a poor earth could do that too check the main earth lead is tight wherever it's mounted..

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
As others have said it sounds like a straight out warranty issue to me provided the bike hasn't been crashed or somebody has fiddled with the instrument cluster or something.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
here have been some cases in the UK especially of water getting into the housing. All were replaced under warranty that I know of.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally
After two weeks Suzuki are going to replace the instrument cluster under warranty. At the moment its reading as engine over heating and the rev counter is off the clock.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Glad they are replacing an obviously poor unit. I suppose I've been lucky as I've owned many many motorcycles and scooters without water causing any gauges to go tits-up. Triumphs were known to zap your knee with an arc from the plug/plug wire in the rain but that's about it. I've drowned my Cruiser and the V-Strom in huge downpours to no ill effect. The replacement unit should do it.....good luck.....ride safe

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Nope. The mileage is stored in the odometer display. That is the part Suzuki had to replace when a 2003 Vee exceeded the maximum display of 199,999 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts