StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've been a lurker on stromtrooper for a while, especially enjoying the crazy bike mods. At the moment I need some help. I've just had a wreck in Honduras and it looks like time to convert to a naked bike ;) Honestly it could have been way worse (for me and the bike) but the main obstacle right now is the instrument cluster which was destroyed. I'm traveling on a tight budget and suzuki parts are hard to come by here, so I'm hoping to get some advice on other options.
I saw that some of you (shout out to black lab) swapped out your instrument cluster, but pictures aren't loading here and I had trouble finding details. I've got a 2k4 DL650 and I'm wondering what my options are: I read that SV clusters don't work, but is the DL1000 an option? What model(s) of acewell clusters are compatible? I don't need anything beyond speedometer and odometer, though of course its nice to have the rest of the goodies if that's possible. I've got a soldering iron and plenty of time, so ugly hacks are totally fair game...

thanks!
-garrett

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
What model(s) of acewell clusters are compatible? I don't need anything beyond speedometer and odometer, though of course its nice to have the rest of the goodies if that's possible. I've got a soldering iron and plenty of time, so ugly hacks are totally fair game...

thanks!
-garrett
Hello Garrett,
I am sorry to hear of your misfortune! And, I am glad that you weren't injured.

It looks like you have done some homework that has led you to the Acewell products. My instrument cluster has held up fine, (Off hand, I can't remember which one it is, sorry!).

(All that I mention below is from my experience with my 2007 DL-650. Are there differences? Hopefully, Greywolf will point them out if there are.)

Here are some things worth knowing: You can ride the bike without the "Big Plug" connected up front. It does not effect the operation of the bike.

The wiring is fairly simple, even for a bonehead like me! The black wire with the white strip is the ground wire. By hand, you can trace out the turn signal wires easily. Your speedo wire is easy too. You won't need to worry about a fuel gauge sensor, but you will want the tach. I did it by trial and error. I made my best educated guess, then jammed to wires together to see what they would do. The Acewell units have wiring diagrams that come along with them.

To me, the MOST critical "gauges" to an instrument cluster are the "Trip 01", and "Trip 02" odometers. Trip 02 is my fuel gauge. When I get around 240 miles on it, I start looking for fuel. When I fill up, I am ANAL about resetting it to zero. Trip 01 keeps track of my daily miles. The main odometer is keeping track of the seasonal miles.

I hope that this is of some help to you!

Barry B.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
'04 and '07 Wees have the same instruments.

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
If your looking for the most inexpensive fix, look into a bicycle speedometer. Easy to install and very accurate once calibrated. Attach the magnet to the rotor with epoxy. Wireless ones are even easier to install, but slightly more money. Lots of models to select from in the $20-$70 range. Mine has been on for 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you go down the bicycle speedo route, stick with a cat eye but if you don't need anything beyond a speedo and odometer, go on craigslist and get a cheap GPS. Hard wire it in there, weatherproof it and bob's your uncle.

I have been looking for mods to get a tachometer to show up onto my GPS but our bikes do not have an OBD-II interface which is needed for it to work.

Hmmmmm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the info/suggestions! GPS is a good idea, but I realize I'm loath to forego temperature guage, or at least a warning light. So acewell would be ideal. Unfortunately shipping can be slow and unreliable here, and we're on the move... but maybe I can find something in costa rica. For the moment, the bike runs fine. Though the turn signals/flashers don't work--is the instrument cluster needed for those lights? I haven't had a chance to dig out the manual or multitester yet.

edit: it occurs to me that maybe I don't have to give up warning/indicator lights even if I go the GPS route? Can I just splice in whatever lights I want? As I said, ugly hacks welcome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts