StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my fellow Stormtroopers,

I like to share my experience and outline the way I installed my Garmin Zumo 660 on the new V-Strom. :var_25:
The challenge on the Zumo 660 is that there are a lot of cable from the motorcycle mount like audio, mic, USB, power. I intend was to install it in a war that I can hook up the cables without breaking my fingers all the time and that the audio cable disconnects by itself if it has to go fast. :yesnod:

I ordered the navigation mount from Home - Online-Shop , the device is very stable, it only vibrates a bit when you ride on low RPM's. I attached the power to the power plug on the back of the cockpit on the original power plug. Take out the two plastic pin's on top, unscrew the two allen screws on the bottom and forward the whole cockpit. I run the cable through the side of the windshield mount and along the frame to the joint head.

So far so good, but I did not want to buy a 30.- Euro handle bar mount jut for the audio and the mic cable. Instead I bought a brass dowel/thread pod from Fischer Dübel (fischer group of companies – Innovationen vom Erfinder der fischer Dübel: Brass fixing MS). :yesnod:

Wrapped some duct tape around it until it fitted the joint head. The hollow screw of the joint head has a diameter of app. 13 mm, the dowel has a diameter of 10 mm. I cut a piece of aluminum profile, drilled there holes in it, made it look nice, used a screw to attach it to the joint head. I used rubber sealing rings and retaining rings to attach it to the aluminum profile. All together about 5 Euros and an hour work! :thumbup:

Gruß Edde.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Garmin Mount

I tried to order this mount, Motorrod Navihaulter, but I can not get past the PayPal button. I called PayPal and they say the problem is not with them. I tried e-mailing the company through their website but that will not go through either. Anyone else from the U.S. have this problem?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Anyone else think the GPS bracket looks like it escape from a building site scaffold store? Not one that will be on my buying list if / when I change bikes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone else think the GPS bracket looks like it escape from a building site scaffold store? Not one that will be on my buying list if / when I change bikes.
John, I think the bracket looks functional. Suzuki engineers did not incorporate an upper tubular windshield support like those used by both Triumph Explorer and BMW R12GS. For those V-2 riders who want their GPS mount to be above the instrument cluster, an alternate design must be created. A while back, Peter created a mount by drilling through the windshield. He used the standard windshield and his idea worked quite well as he showed in his video. I am using the taller touring windshield and Peter's idea is not working as well for me due to flexing of the taller shield. The V-2 windshields are "loosely" mounted through rubber grommets which allow some movement of the shield. The bracket in Edde's post has 4 mounting points to the the metal V-2 windshield brackets. For me this should provide a more steady mount for the GPS. Could it look better? Maybe. Perhaps other fabricators will be offering their solution to the problem.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've looked into mounting the GPS on the windshield in the past and have always found it is just a wee bit out of my comfortable sight zone. My new Zumo 390 is mounted on a ram at the handlebar and is just right. I wear glasses and that's what works for me. I don't think ugly is an issue. It's just a mount.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guy’s, I am not claiming that this is the perfect solution, it is one that was available and it is working! :thumbup: The reason I prefer the mounting above the cockpit is that I don’t have to look down and defocus on the street. I had the same position for the GPS on my old V-Strom, it is better than looking down and leave the focus off the street. On the other hand, the reason it vibrates is not the mount itself, it is because it is bolted to the spring loaded windshield mounts. I am riding with it for 4 weeks now and I can say it is acceptable. I am certain with time and experience there will be other solutions, better and worse. I am looking forward to your all’s experience.

Edde

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hey guy’s, I am not claiming that this is the perfect solution, it is one that was available and it is working! :thumbup: The reason I prefer the mounting above the cockpit is that I don’t have to look down and defocus on the street.
Unless the screen of the GPS is at infinity then looking down at it you will have to refocus your eyes. Those of us who need varifocal help with their eyes know this. I know that military aircraft have head up displays that allow looking at them without loosing the distance focus of the world outside of the cockpit.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Tru dat. I can see how it would be easier tho I don't have to look down much to see it. I may go that way yet. For me it just happens to be in my fuzzy space, speckswise.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
RhinoVstrom,
Where can that GPS mount be purchased? It looks like it is mounted in a sweet spot that is safe as to not have to look down while riding. Please share where you purchased this mount.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts