StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a quick question.
One of the mounting points for these bars is the top front engine mount. If I pull the long bolt from there, should I block the engine up so it doesn't drop or will it stay in place? I'd rather not screw this up too badly . . .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Don't worry, the engine will not drop when you pull that big old bolt.... I thought the same thing, but there are other mounts holding the engine in place.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It baffled me as to what you were talking about, since the SW Motech bars do not mount to the big through-bolt, they mount to the four smaller bolts holding that bracket to the frame... then I realized that you must be talking about the DL1000 rather than the DL650.

Different bikes. Different engine mounting systems. Different mounting systems for the crash bars. Might want to tell us beforehand, you might have gotten a reply sooner if people knew what motorcycle you were talking about :rolleyes:.

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It baffled me as to what you were talking about, since the SW Motech bars do not mount to the big through-bolt, they mount to the four smaller bolts holding that bracket to the frame... then I realized that you must be talking about the DL1000 rather than the DL650.

Different bikes. Different engine mounting systems. Different mounting systems for the crash bars. Might want to tell us beforehand, you might have gotten a reply sooner if people knew what motorcycle you were talking about :rolleyes:.
No, the current DL650 ones mount using the through-bolt motor mount. Check the web site instructions here.

CSR67 - Thanks, that will save me a few minutes tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Huh. Now I remember why I didn't buy the SW Motech guards :confused:.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Just remember these little tidbits of information:

You don't have to swap the front mount thing around to mount the skid plate if you got that as well. It will go on as the directions state.

The directions are, however, incorrect as to what spacer goes where. You need to do a mock up with everything loose first, then swap crap out one spot at a time until everything lines up correctly. I installed mine about 6-8 weeks ago and found this to be true.

You don't have to block anything up, but I only removed a couple bolts at a time just in case. I was a bit nervous about that myself.

Hope that helps some.

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aren't forums like this wonderful? You ask and people give you answers . . .

Thanks everyone, I'll post how the install went.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I pushed the long bolt out with the SW Motech long bolt so I had a bolt in the hole all the time, doing this the nut ended up on the opposite side. Here are a few photos of the DL650 SW Motech Skid plate/Bash Bars installation:

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Huh. Now I remember why I didn't buy the SW Motech guards :confused:.
And I'm reminded why I did. Rode home after getting knocked over by a cage at 35-40mph...Damage to bike: some paint scrapes and a broken turn signal. They are extremely strong.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Just installed mine today along with a fork brace. They look good; hopefully I'll never have to find out if they really work. :D

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm having a problem installing my SW-Motech guards on my '06. I took them off my '02 a few years ago, but have all the parts.

When I tried to install the guards on my ’06, the spacers don’t seem to be right. It appears there is a slight difference between the '02 and '06. I can confirm this, because one bike is sitting next to the other.

The stock long engine mount bolt that goes through from one side to the other is about 1/2" longer on the '06. The bolt isn't the problem. It appears to be longer because the engine mount in the ’06 left side engine bracket is not recessed as much as it is on my '02.

On my ’02, the bolt head on left side sits fully recessed, and the end of the bolt on the right side is protruding just 1/8” or so. On the ’06, the bolt head sits exposed about 3/8” and the threaded end is about the same. There is also a slight difference in the design of the engine mount brackets with a raised shoulder on the '02, but that only accounts for about 1/8” each side.

I checked Twisted Throttle website and appears that the same part number covers all years of the DL1000, so I can’t see the spacers being different than what I have.

Has anyone had any problems with install on an ’06? Before disassembly, does the stock long bolt sit exposed outside of the engine mount bracket? I don’t know if the engine mount should be recessed more, or if the protruding bolt is normal. The additional length bolt would seem to indicate everything is as it should be on my '06, yet the spacers don't seem to fit the '06 properly.

I guess it's not a lot, but guards seem to sit 'cocked' instead of square to the bike.

Here are some pictures, hope make it clearer.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The kit should have large washers in it. You need to put enough washers under the spacers for the guards to clear the frame. The guards are not supposed to touch the frame on either bike. Each bike is different so the number of washers required may be different.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Just installed mine today along with a fork brace. They look good; hopefully I'll never have to find out if they really work. :D

Glad they worked out for ya! :cool:

·
Registered
815 Posts
The kit should have large washers in it. You need to put enough washers under the spacers for the guards to clear the frame. The guards are not supposed to touch the frame on either bike. Each bike is different so the number of washers required may be different.
Hmmm, that must be the difference. I didn't get extra washers with the guards when I got them in '03. Or, if I did, they didn't get saved. Guess I'll have to find some to make up the difference. They fit the '02 much nicer than they do the '06.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SW-Motech Engine Guard Installation

Well, they went on in about ten minutes on my 05 Wee and half of that was getting that %!$#@ crimp nut off - guess I do need another 1/2" breaker bar . . .

Thanks for all the advice and pictures.

2tall, hope you get your installed properly on the new one.

Now I just wait until my headlight modulator and license plate frame arrive and then I get to play electrician.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts