StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you considering new front brake lines, here are some quick ramblings on my experience with the install. Haven't ridden the bike since the install due to poor weather, so can't yet comment on performance change. Will update soon.

Click *HERE* to view.

·
Vendor
4,734 Posts
Nice video. I noticed your fork tubes are raised in the triple clamp about an inch. Shouldn't be a problem, but that makes the tight line seem a strange. Oops you just mentioned it in the video. That extra length would be due to raising the fork tubes. The line would be 1" over stock now, but I'm sure you know that. The math isn't hard. LOL :)

It is a good video and should be helpful to others.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the very informative video. Please give us your feedback once you've had a chance to ride the bike with the steel lines. Thanks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone spot the mistake I made that led to an leak? Glad I spotted before hitting the road. Easily fixed.

Small hint: The wetness you see on the calipers is Windex, not brake fluid.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Did you have any problem bleeding? I'm only replacing the top hose, but am concerned about air getting into the ABS pump possibly? If it does, I'm wondering if the ABS pump is always "open" to allow air to pass through it while I'm bleeding out the air from the new top hose.

I wouldn't think that air could get into the rear brake system as the Combined Braking System the way I understand it only sends pressure to the opposite wheel if it senses a wheel locking up?

thx!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Did you have any problem bleeding?
They bleed just like traditional brakes. No prob getting a firm lever once I pumped the fluid through to the left caliper, then I drew a small amount of air out of the right side.

I'm taking my first ride on the new lines later today. Stay tuned.

Edit: Can't say I feel a dramatic improvement in braking with the braided lines. Maybe a little more bite. I'd suggest first finding a good deal on name-brand HH pads. I think more bang for buck there. But if you're like me and money starts burning holes in your pockets when it's too long since last farkle, do it.

Did you forget any crush washers?
I did...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, thanks for posting this. I have 1" up and back and the stock lines are a bit tight.
I also want to extend the damper rods on my 2017xt to give 190mm fork travel, so the 2" extension is only between the master cylinder and frame connection under the triples? The line from under the triples to the RHS caliper is the same as stock?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I put the clear +2" brake lines on, from AdventureTech (they're Gaffer as well). I have a front and back riser, and the stock line was tight even after dropping the front 19mm when I lowered the bike. Lots of clearance now, without having to remove any retainers.

The difference in performance is night and day... no more mush when braking -- should be a primary mod for *all* Strom owners (because rubber lines suck, and you won't appreciate just how much until you upgrade)...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts