StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

I got a small problem. I'm trying to install a SW Mototech skidplate and I can't loosen the sidestand bolts for the love of it. It's just not working.

So what are your tricks to loosen them? I heard that this is quite common and you need excessive force...

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Big breaker bar + heat.

Really strong impact wrench.

That's all I got.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Use a propane torch or a heat gun to heat up the bolts. There should be no need to use a breaker bar or a hammer! Once the factory locktite is sufficiently warmed up it should come undone with the use of a regular wrench. That's all I needed to install my skid plate.
Tip - tie your centre stand to the front wheel to prevent it from folding as you apply torque.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I used a big electric impact..

240 ft/lbs capacity I think. Heat may help, that Jap loctite is strong stuff. I used a universal joint made especially for impact guns-6 point sockets. It was a bear. That bike was killed by a car and I will have to do it again eventually as money allows. Your local auto parts store may rent tools, the one here does. If not, try heat(consider the switch) and 6 point socket with a breaker. A second set of hands to keep the socket on might help. I have a cheater pipe about 6 feet long, but a 2nd set of hands is a must with that. Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Use a propane torch or a heat gun to heat up the bolts. There should be no need to use a breaker bar or a hammer! Once the factory locktite is sufficiently warmed up it should come undone with the use of a regular wrench. That's all I needed to install my skid plate.
Tip - tie your centre stand to the front wheel to prevent it from folding as you apply torque.
great tip about tieing the front wheel.

I'm afraid about using a torch, since I heard it weakens the steel and only want todo this as last resort.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'm afraid about using a torch, since I heard it weakens the steel and only want todo this as last resort.
I think you may be at the last resort stage, but that's okay. You are not going to heat the metal hot enough to 'glow' it. Just get a pencil torch and put it on the bolt. The goal is to flow the Locktite, not get the metal to a bendy state.

One thing you could try first.... Go for a long ride; maybe an hour or so, the motor may transfer enough heat into the bolt to soften the Locktite some.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Caution

A quick "word of caution" from someone who made a costly mistake.

Be sure to run a tie-down strap from your center-stand to your front engine guard, so just in case you're putting a lot of force on the bolt that the center-stand doesn't fold up on you. Been there...done that. I'm glad the bike fell away from me.

I now have a new windshield.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
After ruining and cracking a couple of regular 12 and 6-point sockets, what worked for me was:
  • 6-point Craftsman 17mm impact socket from Sears
  • Long "wobble" extension coupled with another regular extension to allow attacking bolt from opposite side of bike
  • 2-foot section of 1" steel pipe used to add leverage to the handle of socket wrench or (preferably) breaker bar
  • Smacking my big toe with a hammer real hard so I'd be plenty PO'd and have a short burst of stuper-stoopy-strength
That bolt makes a huge loud "CRACK!!!" noise when it finally breaks loose, advise your neighbors beforehand that it's not gunfire in your garage. And GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just put mine on this weekend as well. I was able to get it broken with a 12-point on a 1/2" drive.

If you do have a second set of hands available, it'll certainly make it easier to juggle that bracket, a bolt/washer and the loose side stand.

·
Registered
490 Posts
great tip about tieing the front wheel.

You're just warming it up. It took me about 5 minutes with a heat gun. No "excessive force" required. Just be careful what you point the heat at! I heard another tip (from Black Lab?) about using a soldering iron to heat just the bolt. Place the tip of the iron on the bolt head. Does't your skid plate come with replacement bolts anyway?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok really stupid questions, do you have to pull clockwise or counterclockwise for this particular screw?

it's a 2008 btw.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
ok really stupid questions, do you have to pull clockwise or counterclockwise for this particular screw?

it's a 2008 btw.
Lefty-Loosie.

Not a stupid question, I began to wonder myself after the first 3 hours.

·
Registered
153 Posts
3 overnight soakings of Liquid Wrench and a trip to the store for the longest breaker bar I could find (didn't have any pipe handy) finally did it. I also bought a torch but the breaker bar did the trick (barely).

Be good to your back and use the torch and breaker bar. If i had to do it again that is what I would do.

I got so flustered trying to get mine taken off that I gave up and went to RMAR without the bash plate and almost had disastrous results - see the bashed oil filter in this pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctirpak/4854953486/in/set-72157624640381644/

Damn thing is on now!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
finally got the first 2 bolts off after soaking them in WD40 a couple of times and putting a buddy on the bike, tieing down the kickstand and pulling like there is no tomorrow.

There was an audible 'pop' from my shoulder and the first bolt was loose...

second bolt:

Hitting the wrench a dozen time with a wooden mallet and than I switched over to a box wrench, pull a metal rod throw the other box and pulling with both hands. Worked...

I think I never worked in my live that hard before

1 - 20 of 21 Posts