StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed these, I need to put them on through the ignition (so they don`t stay on when the bike is off) but I have little electrical skills. Anyone have detailed instructions or know how to put attach it to the ignition switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Reece

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Probably the easiest connection is to the heated grip connector behind the radiator. It can be hard to find as it is often taped to the wiring harness. Look for a tiny bit of orange showing. The wires to the connector are orange/green and black/white. A Suzuki horn lead, part number 36852-06G00 will plug into the heated grips connector. Also, an Eastern Beaver VStrom heated grip adapter from Suzuki VStrom Electrics will plug right in to the OEM connector and accept spade lugs you can put on the Oxford wires. Eastern Beaver has a minimum $20 order but they handle lots of V-Strom electrical goodies like a headlight relay kit that will prevent headlight failure when the stock system goes belly up.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I used T Taps on the KLR for the Oxfords, and I plan to do the same on the Wee, if I can find a wire. The Oxfords have been in a box for months.

I have almost 20k on the T Taps with tape over the top, and I have never had issues.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
You need two wires, an orange/green for ignition on hot and a black/white for ground.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Here's my lazy man install. Different grips but same principle. There's a pic of the grip lead in there. You can also go the hot wire, switched relay route.:

Heated grips

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wiring up Oxford Heated Grips

GreyWolf has told you about the stock connector tucked in behind the radiator. If you've never removed the front side fairings from the bike or removed the fuel tank now is the time to learn this procedure here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-modifications-performance/52091-removing-cowling.html[ ] There is no way you can get proper access to this wire bundle without doing so. It will allow you a whole lot more visibility to what's down in there. Some owners take off the entire air box and filter to get at the wiring but I found I could just manage to slide my small hands in there by just moving it a bit out of the way. :mod_biggrin:

When I installed my Oxfords I opted to get the power source from the PC-8 fuse block I have behind the battery so I had to run wiring down through the bike's frame also. I used one of the "switched" circuits which is only hot when the bike is running. If you are planning to add several additional powered farkles to your bike I highly recommend an accessory fuse block, such as the PC-8 seen here: PC-8, which you can also order from Eastern Beaver. :yesnod:

You will need to make a proper connection between the Oxford leads and the EB Heated Grip Adapter (if that's what you want to use as your power source). I always use all-weather, waterproof connectors for this purpose. This is the one I used: MetriPack280. You will find all kinds of "auto electric" connectors in the hardware and auto supply shops, such as spade- and bullet- connectors which have heat-shrinkable coverings and claim to be water-resistant. Don't believe any of it! :mod2_nono:
If you are going to be riding long wet days in the saddle you will quickly discover the fallacy of such claims. DAMWIK this! The assembly of the waterproof connectors can be a bit tricky for someone who hasn't much experience with them. But, Jim (owner Eastern Beaver) provides really good instructions and diagrams on how to put them together. Why do I use these connectors rather than hard-wire them (solder)? So I can disconnect the Oxford heated grips easily and quickly when I need to do some additional wiring or modifications under the instrument nacelle (or replace them if and when they fail - yes, that's happened to me before). :thumbup:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Good info, and to add, my connector was also hanging and although a little tight to get at, I did without removing anything. I got the opposite connector (greywolf linked above) at my dealer for 13 bucks (this way you won't have to cut into the stock harness). I plugged the grip controller wires to the 1' of wire from the connector, and plugged it in, up behind the rad.

Pretty simple install, I spent more time fcuuking around with the throttle housing to accept the new grip than anything else.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Instaling the Oxford Heated Grips

Pretty simple install, I spent more time fcuuking around with the throttle housing to accept the new grip than anything else.
Yup, that was my nemesis too. The throttle tube is sloped to the wide disk inboard side and had at least (I think) one raised lug that was used to keep the stock grip from slipping on rotation. I had to grind all that away with a dremel tool to enable the Oxford grip to slide properly up to the disk (and not hang out past the bar end). :yikes:

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
Use grip glue..otherwise when you turn up the heat and they expand they will slip on the throttle tube impeding the acceleration process. This has the effect of making the bike seem slow to your co-riders who will tease you. You will then turn your grip heaters off and ride with cold hands at -5....or at least thats what happened to me yesterday...only problem was my hands were so cold I almost ran into the back of a pickup as I accelerated through 160 to keep up with the Ducati...

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've had Oxfords on and off a few times. Each time gets easier, but I suspect that's because the grips get stretched during removal. I currently have small black tie wraps keeping them from slipping on the bars. I'm hesitant to use glue as I might want to take them off again.

The reason for all the on/off was that I was experimenting with other bars.

FWIW my wife liked the idea of heated grips so much, she bought a set for her Harley. By the time the card was back in her purse, she was well over $300 for official Harley factory heated grips that are cheap brittle chromed plastic that I'm sure never started life in a Harley factory. They seem to work well enough as long as they're not set somewhere between 3 and 5 on the dial.:headbang:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Greywolf is correct I took his advice when I installed mine, What I did was order the Suzuki horn wire harness then extended it to reach under the seat and used it to trigger the relay for a accessory panel. The easy way to find the connector is to lift the fuel tank and remove the left side cowling

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for such detailed imput. Only issue is that we in Bariloche now (touring South America) and there`s no Suzuki dealer, or any real dealers of any sort. Given the neccessary parts that will make it work, it may be easier just to connect it straight to the battery and double check its never on when I use it. We`re travelling down to Patagonia so will need it for a month or so only.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Instaling Oxford Heated Grips

Thanks all for such detailed imput. Only issue is that we in Bariloche now (touring South America) and there`s no Suzuki dealer, or any real dealers of any sort. Given the neccessary parts that will make it work, it may be easier just to connect it straight to the battery and double check its never on when I use it. We`re travelling down to Patagonia so will need it for a month or so only.
I didn't realize that you were on the road in S.A. Yeah. To do what we have recommended would require access to a pretty well equipped garage/shop. :roll:
Somewhere in my ponderings on this and other forums I have heard of wrap-a-rounds that can easily be placed onto the existing grips - no removal of stock grips necessary. I can't recall the manufacturer of them but I think they might have been the Hot Grips brand. I can't find anything on the internet sites about them today. Can anybody else reading this help us out? :confused1:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Installing Grips

This is probably old news to most but a friend of mine, motorcycle mechanic, showed me how to remove and install handlebar grips with minimum of fuss.
Use an air nozzle with a needle like tip and blow compressed air inside the grip, this works well to both remove grips and to install them.

As for wiring grips mine are the cheap enduro style ones wired to front brake brake light switch, some soldering required.

Ballards sell cheap heated grips as does Vince Strang Motorcycles. These are made in Taiwan and are as common as anything. $55 AU approx.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Somewhere in my ponderings on this and other forums I have heard of wrap-a-rounds that can easily be placed onto the existing grips - no removal of stock grips necessary. I can't recall the manufacturer of them but I think they might have been the Hot Grips brand. I can't find anything on the internet sites about them today. Can anybody else reading this help us out? :confused1:

Here ya go:

Hot Hands

·
Registered
171 Posts
Installing Heated Grips

Well THANK YEEUW 10-95! :hurray:
Exactly what we were looking for. They are a pretty good price (in the USA). They are made by Oxford too! Maybe ReeceNZ will be able to have a set shipped from the UK. The installation should be pretty straight forward.

Good Luck ReeceNZ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually already have the heated wrap round grips. These are the ones I need to install. They are pretty straight forward but its the wiring that is tricky for me. I think I`ll hook them straight to the batter and make sure they are off when I turn off the bike!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts