StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have my lowering links from Murph. The problem is I don't have a centerstand to put the bike up to install them. I need some options guys on some alternative ways to get these installed. Also if anyone knows the correct torque for the link bolts and pinch screws up front, that would be great.

·
Registered
471 Posts
When I did mine I had my son hold the bike upright while I jacked it up with a floor jack.....It only took a few minutes to remove and reinstall the links while he steadied the bike........I just tightened them up as tight as I could.............TD

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
The correct tension is "half a turn before the thread strips!"

Sorry, old mechanics joke to apprentices when they asked "how tight do I do up the bolts/nuts?"

Maybe contacting Murph's will get you the correct torque for them.

If you have exposed beams in your garage/workshop perhaps you could carefully suspend the rear of the bike enough to do the job.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The book says 56.5lb-ft. Suzuki publishes some awfully high settings though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The book says 56.5lb-ft. Suzuki publishes some awfully high settings though.
hmm, no floor jack, and no exposed beams. I am thinking I might just have to take it down to the shop and have them install them. Ok, and I guess that is for the link bolts....I think you said in a different thread that it was 25 for the pinch bolts, is that correct?

·
38,104 Posts
16.5lb-ft for the fork tube pinch bolts. Every 8mm shank bolt on the bike does fine with 16.5lb-ft.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
just pay the shop

its dead easy for them - they should not charge too much

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used an Eagle Mike Quick Jack to install the wife's lowering links. I've used 2x4's, milk crates and logs on my KLR before buying the jack. Just tilt the bike back on the the side stand and wedge the jack (or whatever) under the right side, I hooked the jack in the footpeg area. I did all the tightening, loosening, pounding with the bike on the ground however :)

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh, that's an OEM 'Low' saddle in the photo above FWIW. The website listed the height reduction at ~20mm (0.787"), we measured a little over an inch, I thinks she's happy (for) now.

Steve

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that's the idea I was looking for! I got a Pack Jack I used on my Versys laying around, now I know what to use it for. Thanks for the ingenious idea.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I went with onlyinajeep's idea to get my links installed. Worked like a charm. Including dropping the forks down it took me about 45 mins. I would have taken me about 30 mins if I would have had my wife to lift on up on the wheel to unload the weight when taking out the bolts! I didn't figure it out until I had to take out the 2nd bolt. Both forks were dropped 1/16th below 7/8 (I hate the standard system!) So about to test ride and see how everything feels. I can finally flatfoot this thing now. If you are 5'10" and can barely get the balls of your feet on the ground, then this is the upgrade for you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used an Eagle Mike Quick Jack to install the wife's lowering links. I've used 2x4's, milk crates and logs on my KLR before buying the jack. Just tilt the bike back on the the side stand and wedge the jack (or whatever) under the right side, I hooked the jack in the footpeg area. I did all the tightening, loosening, pounding with the bike on the ground however :)

Steve
Hi Steve who makes the skid plate you have on the 012?? Stromdon

·
Registered
240 Posts
Where did you purchase your lowering links?

Hello,

Could you be kind enough to tell me where you purchased your lowering links?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The original poster got Kevin Baker's links from Murphs' kits. Mine are 3/4" from Kouba Link. Soupy's Performance also make adjustable ones.

Kouba Link has 3/4" and 1.125" lowering links and are made from 6061-T6 aluminum. They go for $75.

Murphs' Kits are 3/4" and made of zinc plated, cold-rolled steel. They are $44.

Soupy's Performance links are variable in the amount of drop from 0-4". They're made of steel and are on sale for $83 right now, regularly $120.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So after test riding, the steering feels a little too precise now, almost a little squirrly now. I did drop the front 3/4" also, and added a fork brace at the same time, so I don't know exactly what is causing this. I would assume that it's not the fork brace. I am thinking about raising the front back up a little to see if that would help, but I wanted to keep the geometry the same after lowering the rear. Any thoughts on this?

·
38,104 Posts
Experiment. It's free. Lowering the front (raising the tubes in the triple clamp) more makes the steering quicker but less stable. Raising the front slows the steering and makes it harder to change line, thus, more stable.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For me the biggest change in steering response was the fork brace install.

When I sold the bike I gave the brace (superbrace) to a friend and forgot to warn him about the change. He told me he almost dropped the bike when he took it for a test ride and tried weaving back and forth....oops.

He loves it now and would not go back to not having it.

Jon...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I adjusted the forks today, 3/8" up from stock. So I pretty much halfed the 3/4 in change. I haven't test ridden the bike yet, I will let you guys know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used an //eaglemike.com/Quick-Jack-qj.htm to install the wife's lowering links. I've used 2x4's, milk crates and logs on my KLR before buying the jack. Just tilt the bike back on the the side stand and wedge the jack (or whatever) under the right side, I hooked the jack in the footpeg area. I did all the tightening, loosening, pounding with the bike on the ground however :)
thats a damn good idea there.
i dont have a center stand yet becuase im concerned once i lower my rear 1.125" using the links there might be some ground clearance problems or more difficulty propping it up onto the center stand (since the bike is now an inch lower it would take more effort, i think?)

anyway i noticed i have a 2 ton folding engine crane lying about my garage so i'll probably use that by looping a pair of cam-lock straps somewhere along the passenger foot peg brackets. does anyone here know if thats a good lifting point?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts