StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed some Led Spot Lights clamping them to the Givi Crash Bars and wiring them to the low beam of the headlights. The only problem is I cant use them on high beam. They are pretty bright and I havent tested them at night on low beam if they are too bright I will have to re-wire them. I really want to have them come on low beam and have it optional to turn them on or off as well.
Do I need a three way switch, as if I hook it directly up to the battery when I turn them on the low beam will come on as well which I dont want. Perhaps the simple way is to have them only hooked to the battery but I then have to remember to switch them on during the day.

I bought them basically to have a higher visibility during the day but I am so impressed with them they will give much more light at night and use minimal current if I have to set up camp and need some light.

·
Registered
708 Posts
well i'll ask before everyone else does, what lights do you have, what did they cost, where'd ya get them, and "pics or it didn't happen" lol

that being said, i'm a fan of having them wired up to the grip heater connector above the radiator, but you could always put a switch or whatever inline to control the output

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought them on ebay $50 aud I dont know if this link is still working
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200354362463&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
this is the ebay seller
http://myworld.ebay.com.au/teddyy2005/
the lights came in packaging describing them as halogen lights. Someone is obviously taking out the globes and inserting led bulbs. I took the bulbs out and sealed the casing with silicone. Dealextreme have a number of lights which are reasonably priced
http://www.dealextreme.com/
I have bought from them on a number of occassions and found them to be very good. They have free postage

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wouldn't it work to run the lights to your plate or any source that is on when the bike is on, and then run the power wire through an on/off switch. Then you could have the lights on whenever you wanted, regardless of whether you are on high or low beam.

Impressive that you did this for so cheap. The extra light is quite a safety factor for being seen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only problem is if I turn the lights on via a switch directly to the battery I will provide power to the low beam headlights which will turn on. I think I need a 3 way switch so when I turn the spotlights on it breaks the current going to the low beam.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
They look good but I, personally, might have mounted them lower down on the crash bars. Not as prominent, in case of a tip-over and it should increase the triangle effect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes they are a bit high will probably lower them but I hope not to lay the bike down, as a side note why would you need a relay if the current draw is so minimal is a relay necessary?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts