StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I went out today to install my hand guards that I had originally installed on my 2007 SV650. I took them off of the SV when I sold it and just happened to save them. Well, shock of shocks, I now have a DL650, which is what the guard set were originally intended.
The right side installed with no issues but when I got to the long bolt for the clutch lever, it wouldn't seat all the way. I took it out and noticed that where the smaller threads stop on the bolt is too low to let the bolt seat properly. It would need about another 1/4-3/8" of thread to seat all the way and give enough space to get the spacer and bolt on on the bottom of the guard. Does anyone have any pics of their clutch lever side bolt? Or, has anyone else has this issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Today, I went out today to install my hand guards that I had originally installed on my 2007 SV650. I took them off of the SV when I sold it and just happened to save them. Well, shock of shocks, I now have a DL650, which is what the guard set were originally intended.
The right side installed with no issues but when I got to the long bolt for the clutch lever, it wouldn't seat all the way. I took it out and noticed that where the smaller threads stop on the bolt is too low to let the bolt seat properly. It would need about another 1/4-3/8" of thread to seat all the way and give enough space to get the spacer and bolt on on the bottom of the guard. Does anyone have any pics of their clutch lever side bolt? Or, has anyone else has this issue.

Thanks!
My memory is foggy, but I think the OEM guards came with a longer bolt for just this reason. If you don't have it, you'll probably need to get another one at the hardware store.

·
Registered
392 Posts
snug fit

Actually the fit is pretty snug with the supplied bolt. I had to leave the washer off till much warmer weather that'll hopefully make the hand guard more flexible to put the washer on. Even then I used a wood clamp to compress the hand guard enough to start the nut. I just did this about a month ago.

Bill H.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Original kit does come with a longer bolt. I recently did the install.

No doubt some of the WORST instructions I have ever had for anything I installed / assembled. :headbang::headbang:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did have the recent issue, went through two aftermarket parts that "Swore" they fit before resorting to Touratech which was still a bit tricky..(me wee has guards now)

·
Registered
392 Posts
instructions

Yeah the instructions were darned near worthless. Whoever writes this crap really should look at "any" other instuction and see how it's done.

Bill H.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Here's a reply I made to a thread on VSRI a years or so back (part no is 57300-27823-291):

"I ordered a set of the 27823s to fit that wider block and when I went in to pick them up the parts guy told me that Suzi Australia was still using the 822 number but with an "updated" part. They are different to the 822s I picked up a couple of days back. The guards fit properly but the bolt for the clutch side has a shaft wider than the threads on the lower section so it won't screw through fully - ie, once it is screwed though to the end of the threads the straight shaft bit below the lever "axle" is too wide to pass through the hole. Needs to be lathed down lower than the threads or the bolt-hole bored out. It stops about halfway out with the clutch pinion "axle" part sticking up about 1/3". I bored the threads out just enough to get the shaft through, figuring the bolts will hold the lever tight enough and everything works fine. The docs are still showing 820 so I guess they haven't updated them ever."

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a reply I made to a thread on VSRI a years or so back (part no is 57300-27823-291):

"I ordered a set of the 27823s to fit that wider block and when I went in to pick them up the parts guy told me that Suzi Australia was still using the 822 number but with an "updated" part. They are different to the 822s I picked up a couple of days back. The guards fit properly but the bolt for the clutch side has a shaft wider than the threads on the lower section so it won't screw through fully - ie, once it is screwed though to the end of the threads the straight shaft bit below the lever "axle" is too wide to pass through the hole. Needs to be lathed down lower than the threads or the bolt-hole bored out. It stops about halfway out with the clutch pinion "axle" part sticking up about 1/3". I bored the threads out just enough to get the shaft through, figuring the bolts will hold the lever tight enough and everything works fine. The docs are still showing 820 so I guess they haven't updated them ever."
THIS is what the problem is! Thank you so much! I can't believe I didn't think to just bore out the hole. :headbang: A dab of blue loctite and I'll be golden. Thank you! :hurray:

I heart the interwebz. :var_14:

BTW, I have never seen a board with so many smilies. :bom_crowngrin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
instructions

Yeah the instructions were darned near worthless. Whoever writes this crap really should look at "any" other instuction and see how it's done.

Bill H.
Ya - I had the same experience installing OEM handguards on my Wee - SW Motech, however is a close 2nd when it comes to instructions!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! I drilled out the threads a few nights ago and now we're good to go. The instructions had a washer, the large spacer, a nut, a washer, the hand guard, another washer and then the last nut all under the clutch lever. The bolt wasn't anywhere near long enough so I just deleted the first nut, put some blue loctite one the bottom nut and tightened it all up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Will other type fit

I was wonder if there was another type of inexpensive hand guards out there? And how do they fit?

·
Registered
302 Posts
The instructions had a washer, the large spacer, a nut, a washer, the hand guard, another washer and then the last nut all under the clutch lever. The bolt wasn't anywhere near long enough so I just deleted the first nut, put some blue loctite one the bottom nut and tightened it all up. :thumbup:
This is exactly what I did when I installed the hand guards on my '11 Wee. There's no way that bolt is long enough to fit both nuts on there- that must have been an error in the instructions.

Oddly, I didn't have to drill anything out. The whole thing went together very easily per the instructions with the exception of the omission of the one nut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts