StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll soon be installing my symtec grip heaters and was wondering what is the best way to reinstall the grips. I think I read that some are spraying hair spray over the symtecs and then sliding the grips on. I guess this is supposed to help the grips slip on and when the spray dries it keeps them there. I'm looking for something quick and simple that will allow the grips to be removed if necessary . Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

SS

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I "lubricated" the inside of the grips with rubbing alcohol and slipped them back on. They haven't budged.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I used the hairspray on mine and they've been good and stable.

Make sure you find something to insulate the clutch side of the handlebar before you put the heater on. I used some insulating, pipe wrap, tape from Canadian Tire on mine.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Make sure you find something to insulate the clutch side of the handlebar before you put the heater on. I used some insulating, pipe wrap, tape from Canadian Tire on mine.
IMHO, that is not necessary. The clutch side heater draws more power to compensate being mounted to the metal bar. If you insulate it, it would than get hotter on the clutch side. The heat on mine are even...without insulation.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
IMHO, that is not necessary. The clutch side heater draws more power to compensate being mounted to the metal bar. If you insulate it, it would than get hotter on the clutch side. The heat on mine are even...without insulation.

Whatever works. Do a search, you'll probably find a lot of people insulate the clutch side so the handlebar doesn't act like a heat sink. Which heaters are you running? I have the Symtecs and I certainly don't find the clutch side is hotter with it insulated.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Whatever works. Do a search, you'll probably find a lot of people insulate the clutch side so the handlebar doesn't act like a heat sink. Which heaters are you running? I have the Symtecs and I certainly don't find the clutch side is hotter with it insulated.
I have the Symtecs, also. Have the Symtecs always had uneven power on the two heaters (with them clearly labeled 'clutch side' and 'throttle side')? Maybe they have modified the design?

·
0 Posts
The insulation is "really" only needed if one has aluminum handlebars, as it soaks up a lot more heat that the stock metal ones....according to Symtec.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
The insulation is "really" only needed if one has aluminum handlebars, as it soaks up a lot more heat that the stock metal ones....according to Symtec.
That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up, BTD.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys. It looks like hairspray is the way to go. As for insulating the clutch side, I did look into this before ordering the symtecs and they say it isn't necessary. Symtec says their grips have a design specific element wattage for each side to compensate for the lack of an insulator on the clutch side. Now, if all this snow would melt I could get on with things. The forecast for next week in Eastern Ontario is for more snow. I may need more that grip heaters to ride anytime soon.

SS

·
Registered
54 Posts
WD40 and a screw driver to get the grips off and hair spray to put them on. Very simple and very effective. Just make sure you clean the bars and the grips before reinstalling them.:p

·
Registered
765 Posts
WD40 and a screw driver to get the grips off and hair spray to put them on. Very simple and very effective. Just make sure you clean the bars and the grips before reinstalling them.:p
+1.
And what is nice by using hairspray, if you ever needed to remove the grips again, you can. I use water and a long thin blade screw driver.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
+1.
And what is nice by using hairspray, if you ever needed to remove the grips again, you can. I use water and a long thin blade screw driver.
Rather than use a screwdriver I use a piece of wire coat hanger. You put a 90º bend in it so you have an 8" section and a 3" section. Slide the long leg under the edge of the grip and use the short section to start rotating it. By setting an angle it will walk itself under the grip. Nice part is that you can round the ends and it won't scratch or damage anything as it goes in, like the blade of a screwdriver would.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
If you have a compressor, it works great to remove the grips. Stuff the nozzle under the end of the grip and blast away...the grip will "float" right off.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I agree about the compressed air...but more people have coat hangers than compressors.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All great ideas guys, especially the coat hanger trick. I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks.

I don't own a compressor:sad:

Regarding the installation time for the Symtecs and Heat Troller, how long did it take you guys to install the pair?

SS

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that you mention it, my neighbour does own a compressor. Hmmmm....I see a plan in the works :D

SS

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hanger works great as well. I just have a real nice long thin screw drive I use. Air works great for grips not glue on with grip glue.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anyone comment on the install time for the Symtecs with heat troller?

SS

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Can anyone comment on the install time for the Symtecs with heat troller?

SS
Different for everyone. Depends on your competence, how you wire it and other factors. It took me a few weeks to do mine. But, I was in no hurry and I also wired in a Blue Seas fuse box, Stebel horn, auxiliary lights, 12V power outlet and a battery monitor.

What are you doing for a power source?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts